UFC 155: 'Dos Santos vs Velasquez 2'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I find that it matters more to marketability what a fighter does outside the cage rather than in it.

GSP and Chael are hardly exciting in the cage but draw big time, some like Anderson have qualities both in and out of the cage that adds to his drawing card, but most if not all draws have something in their personality.

I get where EBB and Supremo are coming from, its the same type of aura Liddel had in his peak, but I outlined the reasons why Chuck had the heart of the public and why I think Cain will struggle to achieve that.

I could be wrong, I am biased towards Cain based on liking JDS and Lesnar a great deal. Plus being a Heavyweight is a advantage as big men find it easier to draw than in MMA than sub 155'ers. I have no doubt he will draw in Mexico, but outside of Overeem and Jones I think he will struggle to draw with say Struve or Hunt.

In any case, we shall see.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

OK, apologies to anyone eating their breakfast...

35369655.png

Day 1

d6164c6a52e411e2976e22000a1fbc8d_7.jpg

Day 2

9c9d170a53ae11e28e3c22000a1f9d44_7.jpg

Day 3

6c0f05b2543f11e287f422000a1f9afa_7.jpg

Christ. On the plus side, Dos Santos is looking a lot better...

Cigano.jpg

...considering he looked like this on the night....

Picture13_original.png

• Paid Members

Finally getting around to post my thoughts on this but will keep it short as it's been pretty much covered.

My initial thoughts were that Dos Santos really under-estimated Cain's striking. I think he was so set in avoiding the takedowns that he simply forgot Cain has great stand up. He probably believed that Cain was going to avoid it at all costs but Cain delivered a perfect variation. Cain really should have finished the fight.

I just wish Cormier would take the Chael Sonnen approach and view a potential fight with Cain as competition. To really prove who is the best.

Additionally I can't wait till Jones steps up to heavyweight as that fight with Cain would be sick!

• Paid Members

i do think JDS might have fallen into a comfort zone where he genuinely believed that what happened to him, couldn't happen to him...it's gonna be interesting to see how he comes back. From hearing interview snippets it sounds like he's motivated to get right back at it, can't wait to see what happens next.

• 2 weeks later...

Since it's relevant to this event, I'll post the following here.

Junior Dos Santos has attempted to explain his lop-sided UFC heavyweight title defeat to Cain Velasquez, claiming he had personal problems leading into the fight and peaked too early in his training.

Dos Santos suffered his first UFC defeat in the December 29 main event, losing his championship belt to Velasquez following a dominant display by the challenger.

The Brazilian claims he was not in the right mindset prior to the fight, and he also says doctors have revealed he had a catalogue of physical restrictions at UFC 155.

"Really it was my head," Dos Santos told Nagradedo MMA. "I had some personal things going on, a bit of my attention was lacking because of it.

"And another thing. Soon after the fight I went to the hospital and had a scan, which showed my creatine level was too high. The normal level is up to 300, mine was in 1400.

"I also had trouble in the urine and kidneys. The explanation of the doctors is that I pushed over the line, I overtrained and problems could have happened even before the fight

• Paid Members

Yeah Cain beat him up.

I wouldn't compare this to how Tito carried on though. He was relentless with the excuses to the point of discrediting and disrespecting his opponents by banging on about his injuries in the cage immediately after the fight.

To be fair on JDS, this isn't anything new in the fight game. It's not just him, most fighters say this type of thing after a loss. They have to rationalise it in their head and for some fighters, if they accept that they got battered at their best it fucks them up mentally and they aren't the same again. So I get this.

But JDS will need to go back and watch this last fight and really look to come back with improved strategy and cardio. He has the skills to beat Cain, he just has to come up with the correct formula. It's like a violent game of chess.

• Paid Members

Oh I'd pick Cain to win more than half for sure. And I'll be picking him if/when the rubber match happens. I just mean that JDS is capable and possesses the skills needed to win. If he had a good night and Cain made an error, JDS could repeat the first fight. It will all depend how he rebounds. If you look at round 1 of JDS vs Cain 2, before that huge punch landed, JDS was doing a great job stuffing Cain's shots. A combo of him gassing and getting near KO'd sent him on a downward spiral and Cain was relentless.

Basically, I see JDS as the heavyweight best equipped to beat Cain. Overeem's a threat but I don't see him lasting with Cain. I don't think he has the chin, heart or toughness for it. We'll see.

If you doubt Overeems toughness then you underestimate the competition in K1 and kickboxing in general. He's a lying prick but he's tough enough.

Is the standard not dropping in K1 though in recent years?

Plus, Overeem is known to wilt and fold when things are not going his way if you watch his Pride fights. People forget it was not that long ago he got lamped by Sergai

• Paid Members

I don't doubt that he's tough, I just don't see him withstanding a beating like JDS did.

I've watched most of Reem's K-1 fights so I'm not just blindly spouting off. He's an excellent offensive striker. His defence is what I question. He lacks head movement, his footwork is pretty slow and plodding and his whole defence seems to be to just cover up.

It works better for him in K-1 because he can protect his chin behind the big gloves. With MMA gloves good strikers will be able to sneak shots around and through that guard.

We've seen a few examples in his MMA career where if the fight doesn't go his way he folds. He physically ran from Kharitonov for fuck's sake. His chin isn't great either and based on his history he'd likely gas as quick if not quicker than JDS did under Cain's pace.

He could always catch Cain on the feet. He's hugely dangerous. But in a 5 round fight I highly doubt he'd have the physical or mental toughness JDS showed to see the final bell.

I'd have Cain by stoppage within 3 rounds.

Archived