UFC 155: 'Dos Santos vs Velasquez 2'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This has to be the personal problems JDS mentioned:

Some people wrote his comments off as simple excuse making, but according to Tatame.com's Guilherme Cruz, dos Santos did have a very serious personal issue occupying his thoughts into that fight.

Per Cruz, dos Santos' relationship with his wife of 10 years came to an end during the lead up to the fight, weighing heavily on his mind as he prepared for the event. Dos Santos ultimately got beat up for five rounds in the rematch against Velasquez, losing for the first time in the UFC and losing the UFC Heavyweight Championship.

Credit: mmatorch.com

Crappy situation for the pair. Be nice to have a third fight with both 100%.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Crappy situation for the pair. Be nice to have a third fight with both 100%.

I personally don't think anything would have changed the result of the fight, but a third bout is definately there to be made, provided Overeem doesn't mess those plans up.

• Paid Members
I personally don't think anything would have changed the result of the fight, but a third bout is definately there to be made, provided Overeem doesn't mess those plans up.

Cain fought brilliantly and deserves full credit. But, and I'm not having a pop at you with this Dave,, how come everyone is so quick to buy Cain's "excuse" and put the first fight almost solely down to Cain being injured? Yet everyone seems so sure that Junior's "excuse" would have made no difference?

Again, I'm not saying JDS would have done any better for sure but I'm noticing this a lot lately that if the poster boy loses people try to write it off but if he wins then the other guy's "excuse" isn't given any consideration.

Look at Pac vs Marquez. As soon as Marquez won there was an outcry that he must have cheated. I really like Cain but people go on like he's got no flaws and it's not true.

• Paid Members

Here's how I see it. Cain could've had the healthiest legs in the world in that first fight and he would've still been knocked unconscious. Similarly, in the second encounter Dos Santos could've had the healthiest marriage ever, perhaps even getting a lovely blow job the morning of the fight, and he still would've been demolished like he was. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a rematch, but neither revelation has made me think the respective results would've been any different.

Cain fought brilliantly and deserves full credit. But, and I'm not having a pop at you with this Dave,, how come everyone is so quick to buy Cain's "excuse" and put the first fight almost solely down to Cain being injured? Yet everyone seems so sure that Junior's "excuse" would have made no difference?

Circumstances.

JDS beat Cain with a knockout in the first round, whilst JDS was dominated by Cain for 25 mins.

Whilst I do not buy this theory, people will always value the 25 mins of domination more as the knockout by JDS, as that could be looked at by some as a lucky punch. or just a flash of offense. It is harder to control and dominate a fighter over 25 mins than to land one hard punch in the right place, the latter is seen to be more down to luck than skill.

Cain showed a better all round game in multiple areas in the second fight and a lot of questions were answered. In the first fight not a lot was determined with how short it was, things like cardio and the ground game were not explored like they were in the second fight. People will therefore see the second fight as the fairer reflection.

Again, that is not my opinion totally. But others will argue that.

• Paid Members
Here's how I see it. Cain could've had the healthiest legs in the world in that first fight and he would've still been knocked unconscious. Similarly, in the second encounter Dos Santos could've had the healthiest marriage ever, perhaps even getting a lovely blow job the morning of the fight, and he still would've been demolished like he was. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a rematch, but neither revelation has made me think the respective results would've been any different.

This is exactly my point. I absolutely think Cain should get full credit for his win in the rematch. My problem is when people don't want to give JDS full credit for the first fight. Based on the last fight I'd pick Cain in a 3rd fight but with a few adjustments JDS could still KO him again.

Your post makes a lot of sense Jim. But JDS was always more likely to win by KO than on points. That's how he fights. He still shouldn't have his win discredited.

To be brutally honest, it's because I (and many others it appears) believe that Velasquez is simply a better MMA fighter than Dos Santos is. For the record, I don't put the first fight solely down to Cain being injured, but I believe it played a major part in how he was able to move, which resulted in him being caught by the kind of punch that Dos Santos couldn't land with 25 minutes of cagetime at UFC 155.

As I said before, these two could fight ten times, and I'd have Cain winning eight of them.

• Paid Members

I think Cain is a better overall MMA fighter as well. He's got more tools and he mixes everything up well. The one criticism of JDS has been that he's one dimensional. But he fought that way because, before this last fight, no-one had an answer for it. Why would he change a winning formula? It will be interesting to see how he learns from this loss.

For the record, I don't put the first fight solely down to Cain being injured, but I believe it played a major part in how he was able to move.

But again, JDS had a knee injury too. That's often not mentioned when people make excuses for Cain losing. Cain's knee might have hampered his movement. He still didn't move his head or block. JDS' knee might have hampered his takedown defence (he still stuffed a single leg) and it might have lessened his ability to plant his feet and generate power (still got the KO).

They both deserve full credit for their respective wins.

Archived