What's to be done with Randy Orton?

Snitsky's back acne

Have been meaning to start this discussion for a while. In my opinion, Randy Orton is currently stale as hell.He clearly seems to be going through the motions yet, his alleged desire to turn heel would result in one less marketable babyface were it to occur. Besides, who would he work with should he turn heel? Cena? Feud was done to death a few years ago. Sheamus? Again, the two have feuded before. Even if they went with that, who would Orton then work afterwards? Orton's been with the main roster 10 years and has been heel/face so many times and worked with practically everybody, have WWE booked themselves into a corner with him?Orton's a marketable name - still young, still able to deliver in the ring and in promos. Can WWE do anything to rehabilitate him? Does he need 'rehabilitating'? Should WWE cut their losses and let him go? Or take him off TV and bring him back when he's fresh and interesting again?As a fan, I don't know what more they can do with him in the current climate.Your thoughts, gentlemen (and ladies).

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he has run his course to be honest he is in danger of becoming like the big show who has had that many turns that no one really cares anymore. But unlike show Orton is not 7 foot tall so is not that much of a valuable commodity. they should either give him a year off and bring back to the Raw roster as a monstrous heel or hide him away as the 4th member of the "band" (which is wear they seemed to have put other wrestlers that they absolutely have no direction for)

• Paid Members

After last night, Orton and Sheamus will be the top two challengers for Big Show on Smackdown most likely. Though after last week's Smackdown there's also an issue between Orton and Wade Barrett.In other words, I don't foresee any major changes for Orton any time soon.

Orton hasnt turned that much though has heStarted as face in 2002, then became a heel late in 2002 with Evolution, turned face again in summer 04, then went heel in early 05 till 2010 since when he has been a face. Unless I am missing something his turning has not been an issue like Big Shows.The problem is credible oponents, he has mainly been taking on mid-carders and others going nowhere this year with them not getting more over and Orton getting more stale. It would be ok if he had a meaningful feud with one but they really seem heartless. As a heel he would likely end up facing Shemus and Cena so personally I would rather see him fuck off for a bit while he is irrelevant and perhaps come back in a year or even longer.

• Paid Members

If they hadn't already done Orton vs Barrett for the WWE title and overshadowed it with the Cena in Nexus storyline it'd be a prime candidate for a big Smackdown feud now.

If they hadn't already done Orton vs Barrett for the WWE title and overshadowed it with the Cena in Nexus storyline it'd be a prime candidate for a big Smackdown feud now.

That feud's already been done at least once since then, too. Orton's a victim of two things. The first is his own limitations/laziness. He sells his character very well in the ring, but seems incapable of doing so verbally in an entertaining fashion. He hasn't worked on that aspect of his game nearly enough, and it's a key reason his feuds feel so dead.The second thing is the lazy writing and booking. He's a top star. They should write around his limitations and find entertaining ways to emphasize his strengths and hide his weaknesses. But they don't, they just pop him in generic feuds where everyone's just going through the motions. He's wrestled everyone important on both sides of the fence loads of times. Cena, Sheamus, Del Rio, Big Show, Ziggler, Miz, Punk, Kane, Henry, Barrett. Always in shit feuds that either had no substance or went on too long, or both. Who is left for him to face? Daniel Bryan perhaps. The Rock. Lesnar. I don't know what can be done to freshen him up other than him going back to the drawing board and working on his act. Sack him for a year, I reckon. It'd be a nice break for all parties and it'd reset his wellness violations, wouldn't it? Or at the very least, spend a month where he's on the shows but doesn't wrestle, or only wrestles matches no longer than two or three minutes. This would necessitate coming up with stuff to do that isn't just "kill fifteen minutes in a match with some other poor cunt who has no direction."

In some respects Orton's been a victim of Cena's success, for me. Orton was the most obvious candidate for "next top guy" once the Attitude generation retired, but Cena took over that role as he came through as a much more money-spinning babyface. Add in a selection of decent heels for Cena, and Orton has kind of been an afterthought ever since.I've not been following WWE really for years, but I still basically know what Cena's been up to, Punk as well and a few others. No idea what Orton's done in the last 4 or 5 years if I'm honest, since his match with Hogan probably. He's just... never the focus.

Archived