What's to be done with Randy Orton?

Snitsky's back acne

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They really do need to turn him heel. The problem is he's feuded with nearly every major guy on the roster. Apart from say Big Show, Daniel Bryan and Ryback he's faced everyone there is to face. Unless he drops down into a midcard or even an undercard role I see no use for him.

The problem is that most of the main wrestlers in WWE are in the same position as Randy Orton. It feels like everyone has wrestled everyone else that many times that there are no new or interesting matches left to make. Del Rio, Ziggler, Barrett, Sheamus, Show, Cena, Punk, Miz, Kingston, Bryan, Kane etc. have all fought each other numerous times and any match-up between them gets (understandably) complained about as having being done before.It also does not help that there is no divide between Raw and Smackdown wrestlers any longer and everyone fights everyone else on both shows. Also there are now too many hours of WWE (Raw, Smackdown, Main Event, Saturday Morning Slam(?), Superstars, etc).The return of Rock and Lesnar is not a long-term solution either as they tend to only fight the top-level guys (Cena, HHH, Punk), when WWE really needs to use them to help get someone new over - as suggested Orton/Rock and Orton/Lesnar would both be pretty new. Ziggler vs. Rock and Sheamus vs. Lesnar could both be interesting as well.I understand why WWE are only having Lesnar and Rock fight the likes of Cena, Punk and HHH, but in the long-run it is not really helping WWE all that much the times that they are not on TV/PPV.

• Paid Members

Orton lucked out this year when he got injured and was giving nothing at WrestleMania. He'd had a superb year in the ring and deserved better. Orton - Bryan for Mania at the time would have been a great dynamic. Better still a 4 way elimination with Show, Henry and those two with them bring last was what I was after seeing and how it felt the TV was leading. Sheamus winning the Rumbld changed that all though. He's not really recovered since. His last couple of years have reminded me of '95 Bret Hart, probably the best in-ring he's ever been and possibly the best in the world at that rate but has the focus taken off him and pushed into other things because there's other about with more marketable and appealing qualities.I'm not sure what to do with him, certainly not in a fresh or original idea anyway. I wouldn't be against The Evolution or Legacy project being given another crack with him leading. Loads of people keep saying they want a few stables about. Ive said a few times i could be up Del Rio and Orton leading opposing stables to give them something to do. Pitcos touched upon briefly and has mentioned before about the use of more gimmicks for Orton, like how Austin had different vehicles all the time. I'm not so sure about that in particular, but I think something like that, like when Triple H added the sledgehammer to his sadistic fuck act could be good. I remember seeing somewhere that Ortons got a bit of a gun obsession and a massive collection. It's probably not the best for PG tv but going more in depth with his character with some of them slick videos they're doing lately, delving into the unhinged mind of the man who hears voices in his head and has a big fuck off gun collection to develop and give a new scope to his character could be fun. Also on Kings point about his character not really being expressed outside of the ring, I thought he did a grand job of that on the mic and in segments when he was leading Legacy. I'd welcome a return to that.

They'll have to the next time he buys cheaper, detectable drugs.

Perhaps that's what they are waiting for??

The focus on one on one matches for a while now puts WWE in this situation. They run out of options/combinations and then what??

When they have a meaningful tag division and perhaps some stables / gangs etc, they have options whereby they can put someone out of the title picture for a while, whilst still giving them something meaningful to do.

I'm hoping this new focus on the tag division (albeit mashup tag teams) is a sign that they are looking to do something like this.

My answer..... use more squash matches to get people over. I love a good squash match.

Am I the only one who feels like Orton seems like he's 'phoning it in' and doesn't seem that enthused about his performance and appearances? He seems as bored of his character as I am. I really think he could benefit from take a long break from TV. He'd refresh himself, and it'll give the writers chance to come up with something different for him, and hopefully refresh his character a little.

I would love to see Orton Vs Bryan feud that ends with a match at Wrestlemania, then maybe turn Orton heel and align him with Rhodes and Dibiase to reform Legacy or start a new Legacy stable with Henning Jnr, Bo Dallas and Husky Harris, would be pretty awesome.

So to freshen him up you'd suggest having him reform his shit group from 3 years ago?

In the last twelve months he has had two breaks, one being when he was out injured for a month or so at the start of the year and the other being the drug suspension this summer. I don't think he needs time away as he clearly has had time away and came back to do nothing of note with the momentum of a return fizzling out like a damp firework in repetitive series' of matches.

He's got all the tools and his match with Ziggler at the pay per view last month was outstanding (helped that I hadn't seen it the other 10 times on TV) so he is ready to go in a meaningful feud but simply isn't being given anything meaningful. He's a former champion with a fanbase that has proven to be a liability with substances and doesn't really like playing the media game and likes to speak his own mind. I really can't see him moving out of his rut in a hurry.

Maybe i was too baked and imagining things but I'm pretty sure that JBL or someone on commentary at Hell in a Cell was saying shit like "Orton looks naked without a belt" and other stuff like that when he came down for his match which would lead me to believe that they will get him mixed up in the title scene pretty soon.

• Paid Members

Winning the rumble would help, it seems to be a good indicator for how talent will be used that year and if he can be pushed like Sheamus and have more squash matches it would really solidify his position on the roster, he should be up there with Punk and Cena but it feels like Sheamus has his spot. Like simonbegz noted the breaks have worsened things. Maybe 2013 will be better for him.

Orton is stale, but it's hard to imagine WWE changing things up when for the most part he still gets monster reactions. They've stuck Cena in a holding pattern, so Orton seems to be in wrestling purgatory right now. There's no way he's going to start punting people again, but Orton in early 2009 was the boss. That's how you fix him.

Orton is stale, but it's hard to imagine WWE changing things up when for the most part he still gets monster reactions. They've stuck Cena in a holding pattern, so Orton seems to be in wrestling purgatory right now. There's no way he's going to start punting people again, but Orton in early 2009 was the boss. That's how you fix him.

With the lack of depth in top level talent they will not let Orton have time off. However I feel if he went missing for a while now then returned at rumble to cost show title if he still has it, against sheamus or whoever steps up smackdown wise to lead to a wm match and let show win at WM ha (he must be nearly done), we could have orton doing the role he loves

Archived