Ceefax

Forrest

552274_10151071470605906_1503616000_n.jpg

And with this, Ceefax is dead, as is the perennial drunkard's best friend, Pages from Ceefax, which aired for the last time last night until 6AM. First Teletext, now this. The days of having to wait 15 minutes for the score of your team as it scrolled through the non-league, Scottish Third Division and Welsh and Irish matches is a thing of the past. The Halcyon days are gone.

Discuss your Ceefax (and Teletext) memories.

Fucking loved playing bamboozle with my Grandad on channel 4 text :). The Glug the slug cartoon and jokes were good too.

BBC Ceefax was alright too, for news mostly but Channel 4 had the entertainment covered on their teletext. Obviously terribly outdated but still a shame to see it go.

• Paid Members

I had a few emails printed (and sometimes replied to) in the very late 90s on one of Channel 4's teletext pages, but damned if I can remember what it was called. It seemed like a general discussion page where the editor often talked about her dogs. It's sadly bugging me now, and I normally remember pointless bits of info. :(

• Paid Members

i found out about Hulk Hogans Heel turn on the TNT's wcw txt page in 1996 during dinner break from School! happy days

as a general knowledge fiend i loved Bambozale and used to look for horny women in my area on the dating page dirty little perve i was.

i always read the footie news on ceefax as it was better than teletext

• Awards Moderator

Soooo...who was a Backchatter (Ceefax) and who was a Ziner (Ch4 Teletext)? Megazine all the way for me.

Backchat for me! I was on there a couple of times, for a while I'd regularly check their three discussion pages (there was a TV-specific one, and I forget the third one). Also used Ceefax to check the Top 40 on a Sunday night, and have the football scores on the minimised option so they'd update and I could see them while watching something else.Oh, and the Entertainment and Sport news pages as well.

It shows I was late to the internet party when I say my main memory of the Wrestling page on Channel 5 (?) was finding out Ric Flair had returned in 2001. Considering me and my brother's main memory of him was "Who's this old bloke being a dick" when he was in WWF in 1992 we were gutted and thought "What's this old bloke gonna do in 2001? be a dick?"And obviously Bamboozle was many times a welcome bit of fun when up my Nan's on a Sunday and there was sod all on the TV, which was most weeks.

_63652011_lastpage_edit.jpg

:(

It's sad, but inevitable as the internet has rendered it pointless. I still think there's a place for a basic data system over television, but their priority is to cram more channels into the spectrum, so that's that.

Soooo...who was a Backchatter (Ceefax) and who was a Ziner (Ch4 Teletext)? Megazine all the way for me.

I read both, and Planet Sound too, but i was a Ziner really, I was even published on there once or twice
I was a Backchatter, though I liked Zine. I once wrote in to Backchat.Having said all that Digi > all.

Archived