Jimmy Saville

jimufctna24

Opinion  

258 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Are you referring to when they (the press) completely unjustifiably accused a politician of being a nonce, and then had to embarrassingly backtrack leading to people losing their jobs? What's that got to do with they (the police) arresting someone? There's no correlation.

Well, for me, if there's been some sort of insidious cover up that's gone on for years and allowed the likes of Jimmy Savile to get away with as much as he did for so long, there has to have been some sort of high level involvement from people a bit more influential than kids' TV presenters and radio DJs. Five or six celebrities have been either arrested or widely named as implicated, but only really one politician - which consequently resulted in massive legal payouts and a rather strange last minute change of goalposts from an accuser. For me, if this investigation is to be of any worth it needs to go further than serving up a few convenient patsys from 70s TV.

The Cyril Smith/Savile revelations also lead me to believe that how far allegations are allowed to get when a powerful person is alive doesn't necessarily mean that's all there is to them. Being careful for the sake of the forum here, but in the case of people with friends in high places, I'll reserve judgement with some of them until they've been dead a while.

EDIT: Perhaps in terms of the police/press separation, I was a bit unfair in failing to distinguish in the original post, but my view holds about the apparent unwillingness of either institution to go after people with real influence.

It probably wouldn't take a massive conspiracy - one or two senior policemen, perhaps a politician. All probably long since dead or retired. The hoohaa over McAlpine was a sober moment for the press and everyone else: the validation of such serious charges is incredibly fraught.

Private Eye had a fantastic article about it, which isn't online sadly, but it explained well that the difficulty is that often the victims of paedophiles tend to be vulnerable young people, whose lives are already or subsequently blighted by crime, mental health issues, and all sorts. That makes them difficult witnesses; in the case of McAlpine the witness has undoubtedly suffered abuse, but the details and specifics that he has (over a large number of years) made claim of vary from the definitively real to the fantastical. Private Eye have actually been sued in the past for printing allegations from him that turned out to be bollocks.

You also have to take into account the amount of time that has passed since these crimes took place, will always make prosecution of them complex.

Given all that, the police are proceeding incredibly carefully, as they should do. I think they're making sure they have multiple witnesses for a particular suspect before making arrests.

If anyone is perfectly positioned to be the nexus point of a high-profile person paedo ring, it's him. I may have to take back my scorn over the conspiracy theories.

Archived