UFC on FX 6/ TUF: The Smashes (Aus vs. UK) Discussion Thread

Shane O' Mac Version 2

Pick the winners/winning method  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Good end to a great season!

I've known it was Freakshow vs. Norman in the final since just after the first episode (word spreads easily in this city), so it was good to see it play out. It was an interesting fight between Colin & Richie, definitely had Richie winning that 1st round - I think the size advantage being that great actually turned out to be a disadvantage standing for Colin as he had far less to aim at than Richie, not that it was the sole reason though as Richie was displaying a great game-plan.

Hopefully Freakshow can get the win next week, then Sunderland would truly be strong in the UFC - Pearson, Freakshow, DeFries, Ogle (and soon to be Ryan Scope).

Also, did anyone notice George displaying what looked like a bit of a shiner during this ep? It was about 10-15mins into the show when Freakshow & Richie were talking to the camera about the fight and it cut to George in the dressing room shaking Richie's hand. Georges left eye looked pretty bruised, possibly due to the alleged incident. He was barely shown at all during this episode as well, it might be me putting 2+2 and getting 5 but it seemed odd.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I stupidly looked at the Smashes Finale card on Junkie last night and saw Freekshow's name on there. Really chuffed for him but gutted I spoiled it for myself.

Really glad the UFC fucked off Val, Bola and Luke from the finale too. The whole thing seemed a joke to them after the phone stuff came out. I am surprised at the match ups they made for the finale for the remaining guys though

I think Brad will have too much in the tank for Robert. And I really hope Freekshow beats Norman, the snivelling little turd.

• Paid Members

glad Freakshow made it, he's been the most interesting and entertaining TUF contestant for ages, seems like such a good guy too, i know everyone's saying the same but i aint got a bad word to say about him.

It's been a really good season and it proved that the there is life left in the TUF format, it just needs good coaches and a good cast of characters.

As for the finale, there's a few ommisions i was expecting on there but there's chance guys will get shots down the line, like i wouldn't be surprised if one or two of the UK guys get a spot on the London show.

• Paid Members

...oh i tried getting hold of some of the documentaries Richie Vas has been in, there's 2 and their all about the surfer gang he rides with that we spoke of earlier in the thread. I tried downloading em but i aint had luck finding em. I type in Bra Boys into a torrent search engine and got some interesting results :confused:

• Paid Members

Just watched the final episode. What a fuck of a season this has been. The contrast between this and TUF 16 has been incredible. I'm gutted this has ended whereas I find TUF 16 a right chore and I'm only watching it now in a "I've started so I'll finish" mindset.

Seriously it has been one of my favourite seasons of TUF ever. Defo the best since TUF 10 and I might have preferred this to that one as well to be honest because the fights were better and we didn't get the coaches saying the same insult 300 times to each other in a hallway.

It's flew by as well whereas TUF 16 has felt like it's dragged it's tired old arse at a snail's pace.

I'll pick Freakshow to submit Vas and go on to beat Norman on points in the finale.

The beginning of your prophecy is dead on, Wand. A keylock sort of from the bottom, while being in Richie's side control but not quite as Freakshow halfway swept him- what the hell! That was nuts! I didn't catch it the first time, I thought Richie had given himself a freak injury in the takedown or something.

That was a mental finish. I never saw that one coming at all, neither did Richie obviously. Freakshow's got a wacky style on the ground. If you remember he went for a fucking dragon sleeper in his previous fight.

It was a great fight as well, good way to top off the series. Richie gave a great account of himself especially given the size difference.

A bit disappointed that Richie Vas didn't get a spot......maybe the elbow was too jacked to make this fight, or maybe UFC are allowing him time to get back down to bantamweight for a future UFC fight.

That will be the reason, I think. He'll be back surely. I think they're just giving him some time to drop back down to his natural weight. Even as good as he fought, it's clear he doesn't belong at 155. So it wouldn't have made much sense to have him on the Smashes finale in a lower weight fight against someone who wasn't on the show. I bet we'll see him on a UFC card in the first quarter of 2013. He's the kind of fighter Dana likes.

And I have to say, for a guy with a dodgy past, he's come off as very likeable. By late in the season I'd warmed to him more than the rest of the Aussies bar Manny.

RichieVas_VideoLinkPic.jpg

It was nice to see them all getting on a bit better in this last episode as well.

Also, did anyone notice George displaying what looked like a bit of a shiner during this ep? It was about 10-15mins into the show when Freakshow & Richie were talking to the camera about the fight and it cut to George in the dressing room shaking Richie's hand. Georges left eye looked pretty bruised, possibly due to the alleged incident. He was barely shown at all during this episode as well, it might be me putting 2+2 and getting 5 but it seemed odd.

Yeah I thought the same. A lot of the talking head stuff with George was probably taped earlier. The footage from the day of the fight there wasn't much of Georgy shown at all and when he did pop up, as you say, I thought I detected a bit of a shiner. That incident must have happened right at the end of the season. Hopefully Dana will be able to shed some light on this whole thing now that the series has all aired.

If you find any of them docs on Vas let us know, Ebb.

ibkJxAkcHYMtJI.gif

Fantastic season.

Finale looks good, happy to see Manny on there. The pairings are kind of odd though because I thought they'd have went with more country vs country fights.

Good end to the series, I always thought Freakshow would win but as has been said, Richie did very well - even if I do still resent the way he got to the semis. That finish shows just how deadly Freakshow is, even if you can somewhat counteract his awesome striking.

Encouraging extra fights added to the card, Dana does like the guys with good attitude like Mike, and Brendan gave a very good account of himself. Alloway was very unlucky not to get to the final, so very much deserves a spot, and Manny is clearly hard as fucking nails after finishing a guy with a broken leg!

Does anyone know what the commentary/announcing situation is with this event? I heard Buffer wasn't announcing due to the TUF16 finale the next day.

• Paid Members
Does anyone know what the commentary/announcing situation is with this event? I heard Buffer wasn't announcing due to the TUF16 finale the next day.

They'll probably have Anik and Florian on one and Goldberg and Rogan on the other. Don't know which way round, probably Anik and Florian for this show I'm guessing.

They'll probably have Anik and Florian on one and Goldberg and Rogan on the other. Don't know which way round, probably Anik and Florian for this show I'm guessing.

Yeah, Florian and Anik have done all FX shows since UFC started the Fox TV deal. The US TUF Finale will probably be perceived as a bigger deal by UFC than the Smashes, so they'll have the original team there.

Another card shake up, an injury to Hacran Dias, removing him from his fight with Chad Mendes. No word if Mendes will get a replacement this close to fight week.

Damn, that was one of the better fights on the card, and Mendes is one of the bigger names on it. It doesn't really seem like it given that the main card has remained intact (although curiously, Wiki lists Mendes-Dias as a main card fight), but this card has really been picked apart by injuries.

Fighters scheduled to fight on UFC on FX 6 only to withdraw: Hacran Dias (possibly Chad Mendes too), Kyle Noke, Anthony Perosh, Krzysztof Soszynski, Ednaldo Oliveira and Eddie Mendez. The first 4 losses have really diluted this card. Mendes vs. Dias would have been interesting, one for seeing Mendes fight again, but also because Dias is on like a 20 fight win streak. And with the loss of Noke and Perosh, the UK boys actually have more presence on an Australian card than the Aussies do. Soszynski is just a badass mofo, I loved his fights with Bonnar.

Another card shake up, an injury to Hacran Dias, removing him from his fight with Chad Mendes. No word if Mendes will get a replacement this close to fight week.

Damn, that was one of the better fights on the card, and Mendes is one of the bigger names on it. It doesn't really seem like it given that the main card has remained intact (although curiously, Wiki lists Mendes-Dias as a main card fight), but this card has really been picked apart by injuries.

A guy called Yaotzin Meza is replacing Dias against Chad Mendes.

Does anyone know if we're getting the FUEL prelims over here on ESPN or just the main card?

Archived