UFC on FX 6/ TUF: The Smashes (Aus vs. UK) Discussion Thread

Shane O' Mac Version 2

Pick the winners/winning method  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

It is harsh but right or wrong that's how the UFC does it. You'd think in a case like this they might make an exception but I suppose they want to know you are mentally strong to stay away from family and sacrifice and all that bollocks as well.

I'm intriuged by the preview for next week as well. All we know is an Aussie's being sent home. Maybe an injury? I hope it's not Manny because he's my favourite Aussie on there.

What else?...

Richie Vas has a dodgy past. Something to do with that maybe? Although they'd likely have been well aware with the pre-show checks they do. Maybe someone leaves the house like Jeremy Jackson did? Or has sneaked a phone in like Clementi did? Or someone hits someone?

I've pretty much covered all bases, gotta be one of them. Watch it be something boring now like Benny Alloway left his tap on back home and flooded his house :)

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's worth remembering that these shows are edited beyond belief. I'm sure the Aussies aren't the craziest bunch you'll ever meet, but I don't think they're just sitting around grumping all the time.

In fairness, Freakshow actually said they really were that boring and quiet in the house but that they get a little bit better right near the end.

Is there a chance that this could be a failed drugs test by a member of the Austrailian team. I know they test them before the show, but do they get the results back before the show starts.

I can't see it being and injury, why would Dana get involved (he didn't when the British lad got sent home). It's going to be interesting though.

I'm intriuged by the preview for next week as well. All we know is an Aussie's being sent home. Maybe an injury? I hope it's not Manny because he's my favourite Aussie on there.

Unfortunately that's the case. Bola broke his leg with that vicious leg kick. Dana sent him home but promised him an opportunity down the line. It sucks, he seems like a really sound guy. His replacement is a guy named James Vainikolo, don't know anything about him other than he might be the ugliest person I've ever seen, he quite literally looks like he's been hit in the face with a shovel. No wonder he had to learn to fight. Wish Russell Bandingo joined the squad instead.

Everyone is starting to come out of their shell. Obviously the UK boys were well there, but the Aussies are relaxing a bit more too. They took Freakshow's joke in their stride, whereas earlier they might have not been so receptive.

About this week's fight... I really wanted to like Patrick Iodice, but it seems like he was crying every 5 minutes. Get it together, kid. Brendan had a great second round, but I honestly think that deserved a 3rd round. Patrick won 4 minutes of the first round, Brendan won the last minute. If he had delivered significant punishment, I could see him stealing the round, but the ground and pound wasn't that substantial, it was mostly a reversing of position.

Also, thought it was a good time to add the poll as my TV is getting inundated with advertisement for UFC on FX 6 now. :)

I gave both rounds to Brendan. The 2nd was obviously his but for the 1st round, I gave it to him because Patrick did absolutely nothing in the guard and barely threw anything - where as Brendan stuffed most of the takedown attempts against the cage (bar one, I think) and once he got on top of Patrick he never stopped raining down punches/elbows, constantly tried to improve position and most importantly tried to end the fight with his shots.

• Paid Members

Gutted Manny had to leave. He'd become far and away my favourite Aussie on the show. You can tell he's just a really good guy. Even in the talk he had with Dana he was talking about not wanting to block someone else's opportunity, others would have felt sorry for themselves. And on top of that to fight the way he did and win on a broken leg proves he's cut out to be in the UFC.

Even Team UK looked gutted he was leaving. Shame, but the way he fought and carried himself he'll defo get a UFC fight. Maybe he'll be on the finale. He made a fan out of me on the show.

I've got a new favourite Aussie now though...

tuf-smashes-episode-6-colin-fletcher.jpg

Russell Bandingo! Move over Alf Stewart.

His replacement is a guy named James Vainikolo, don't know anything about him other than he might be the ugliest person I've ever seen, he quite literally looks like he's been hit in the face with a shovel. No wonder he had to learn to fight.

Not while these bastards are still breathing...

AnnWiddecombe460.jpg

redknapp-300x225.jpg

pat-butcher.jpg

1416398839_74afed168b_m.jpg

About this week's fight... I really wanted to like Patrick Iodice, but it seems like he was crying every 5 minutes. Get it together, kid. Brendan had a great second round, but I honestly think that deserved a 3rd round. Patrick won 4 minutes of the first round, Brendan won the last minute. If he had delivered significant punishment, I could see him stealing the round, but the ground and pound wasn't that substantial, it was mostly a reversing of position.

Yeah he was a right grizzler wasn't he.

The first round was kind of a tricky one to score. Like Metal says, when Brendan got top position he was more active than Iodice was the whole round. But, I agree I don't think he did enough damage to steal the round. Iodice didn't do a lot of damage either but he dominated the first 4 minutes and blocked a lot of Brendan's ground strikes at the end. I gave the round to Iodice.

Second round was clearly Brendan's. It's not a terrible decision because there's an argument for Brendan taking the first I suppose. And if there'd been a 3rd I don't have much doubt that Brendan would have taken that as well. He had all the momentum and he got stronger as the fight went on whereas Iodice faded.

3-3 then. Team Aus is 3-0 at WW and Team UK is 3-0 at LW. Interesting. Could end up with an all Aussie WW final and all UK LW final at this rate.

Also, thought it was a good time to add the poll as my TV is getting inundated with advertisement for UFC on FX 6 now. :)

I've gone with a Lombard KO and a Pearson KO. I'm close to 50/50 on Pearson vs Sots though. It's a great fight and they match up really well. Both have a very realistic shot of winning. I'm rooting for Pearson all the way.

Next week looks good. Wonder who Team UK turns on.

This now accounts for my weekly UFC viewing, given up on the Carwin vs Nelson series. This is a nice little show, I just enjoy it and do not find it a chore to watch like I did with the Carwin series.

As for the finale, I think Pearson matches up well with G-Sot, can stuff his weak takedowns and outstrike him like Dennis Siver did. Give me Pearson by TKO in the later rounds. I am actually cheering for G-Sot though.

Palhares I like over Lombard, as Lombard showed me nothing in his debut. I feel despite his over-reliance on leg locks and heel hooks, Palhares is the more proven at top 10 level. His striking has improved and as Hector is also a midget 185lbs he should be able to land and not worry about reach. Give me Palhares by either sub or TKO in the middle rounds, presuming it is a 5 rounder.

• Paid Members

Nah Jim, Lombard vs Palhares is co-main event so 3 rounds. Actually I'm pretty sure I read that Nelson vs Carwin is still 3 rounds so maybe Pearson vs Sots will be as well. Could be wrong though.

I like watching Sots fight, his BJJ style is great to watch. But I just find it hard to warm to him. Especially seeing him on this show. Pearson however comes across as a top bloke and is always fun to watch. Country stuff aside, I'd be rooting for Ross regardless.

And I was thinking the other day, Colin Fletcher has to be my favourite TUFer ever. He's just great to watch in the cage and out. I'd have to go all the way back to TUF 2 and Luke Cummo for someone on the show who I liked as much. And Freakshow has been more consistently entertaining than even the Jedi was.

Cheers Wand.

The G-Sot vs Pearson feud is the best rivalry on TUF in a while, its not forced or anything and you can see why Ross would get wound up by him. I like G-Sot, always have done, he was one of my best upset picks ever against Joe Stevenson a few years back.

Freakshow is made for TUF, he is indeed fantastic. Awkward fighter as well, sometimes those type of guys go far see Keith Jardine.

Great fight this episode! It could've gone to a 3rd but the decision wasn't that outrageous.

Yeah, I had it two rounds to Brendan, but I'm surprised the judges also saw it that way. Uusually scoring a couple of takedowns, regardless of your activity from the top afterwards, is enough to win you the round.

Decent show this week and decent fight, glad to see Forrest Griffin Bradley through at that nobhead Xavier's expense.

Next weeks show looks fucking brilliant though, seems we'll finally find out the massive incident surrounding this season. Also the coaches getting in each others faces, Sots came off as an absolute dick in just that 5 second preview clip alone (obviously we don't know the context surrounding it yet but still).

I reckon Bradley is right as well, Brendan does seem like 'a fucking retard'. Can't stand him.

Brad Scott is the first Brit on the show I seriously dislike, what a cock. Writing all his woes about his own fucking teammates in a diary like some teenage girl. Inexcusable. Think that stuff if you must, but writing it down was really, really stupid. Xavier has come across a bit dickish just in terms of being loud and out there, but he was definitely the lesser of two evils in that fight, I was hoping he would knock the whining twat out, country stuff aside. I was hoping UK would win before the episode started just so the Aus vs UK rivalry could continue to the finals, but that ending left a sour taste in my mouth.

The fight was decent enough. Xavier appeared to be pretty hopeless on the ground though, even when he got a takedown, he seemed to have no clue how to advance.

The season overall is starting to get a lot more interesting. Lots of mayhem with the food fight, the in-fighting with Team UK, and Team Aus weren't too happy with Ben Wall either. Looks like we could get two fights in an upcoming episode with the re-doing of the WW quarterfinals. Don't really like that decision either, Team Aus got to the semis by finishing a UK guy, why should they get another shot?

Next episode looks crazy. I'm trying to think of "worst thing they could possibly do" as Dana said, I thought maybe sneaking out of the house, but they made light of that happening recently with Stephan Bonnar, so who knows. Shit is getting real anyway.

EDIT: I've updated the first post on this topic to include the UFC on FX 6 card as it currently stands. The most recent addition was Mike Pierce stepping in to replace an injured Kyle Noke.

Archived