UFC on FX 6/ TUF: The Smashes (Aus vs. UK) Discussion Thread

Shane O' Mac Version 2

Pick the winners/winning method  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nice little piece by Fighters Only following Freakshow around here in Sunderland:

Video: Clown Cronicles (Part 1)

Its saying something when Colin says he was very restricted in what they'd allow him to do on TUF.

I still find it really weird seeing my hometown on videos, especially the ones UFC show prior to the Finale fights following the finalists at home which they'll no doubt do on Friday (just like they did before Pearson fought Winner on TUF 9). God knows what Shane O'Mac must think of our area! :laugh:

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Haha, yeah when they came to Birmingham the first time I remember seeing a video blog I think and the Wolfslair guys were walking around Birmingham city centre. And Cheick Kongo was pissing about near this...

bullring1.jpg

something I've passed hundreds of times. Seemed really weird seeing someone I've watched on telly there. No doubt Chris Leben was around the corner scoring some steroids like he does every time he's in Brum.

Cheers for that link I'll watch that in a bit. I'm having Freakshow withdrawals since the show ended.

Haha what a strange thing to have in a city centre, I remember seeing some fighters post pictures of that on fight week and hadn't a clue what it was. The only thing we've got like that around here is a fucking shit covered Walrus in the park:

599258886_8817925506_z.jpg

Anyway, you'll be glad to know Pearson still has some kind of weird hairdo:

Ross interviewed by Gareth A. Davies

He pretty much confirms a lot of shit went on with George behind the scenes.

Nice little piece by Fighters Only following Freakshow around here in Sunderland:

Video: Clown Cronicles (Part 1)

Its saying something when Colin says he was very restricted in what they'd allow him to do on TUF.

I still find it really weird seeing my hometown on videos, especially the ones UFC show prior to the Finale fights following the finalists at home which they'll no doubt do on Friday (just like they did before Pearson fought Winner on TUF 9). God knows what Shane O'Mac must think of our area! :laugh:

Haven't seen these videos yet. Let the judgment begin! :p

On a slightly related, but unrelated note, I was thinking the other day about perceptions of landmarks in different countries. Like, as far as Australia goes, everyone knows the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Opera House, big tourist destinations. The last couple of weeks, I've been crossing the Bridge every couple of days to go visit my Mum, and have taken those things for granted. Just tripped me out when I realised. I likened it to thinking the Eiffel Tower is one of the most beautiful things in the world, but some French people might think, "Eh, Eiffel Tower, so what." Just a random thought.

On a slightly related, but unrelated note, I was thinking the other day about perceptions of landmarks in different countries. Like, as far as Australia goes, everyone knows the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Opera House, big tourist destinations. The last couple of weeks, I've been crossing the Bridge every couple of days to go visit my Mum, and have taken those things for granted. Just tripped me out when I realised. I likened it to thinking the Eiffel Tower is one of the most beautiful things in the world, but some French people might think, "Eh, Eiffel Tower, so what." Just a random thought.

Oh I'm exactly the same, I spent 3+ years going past the Newcastle/Gateshead Quayside twice a day every day on the way to college, which got boring very quickly but whenever I go there now I love seeing the landmarks of which the North East is probably most famous for. Heres a snap of it:

Tyne-Br-1024x685.jpg

Millennium Bridge in the background, The Sage on the right (pretty much an opera house) and the Tyne Bridge in centre - pretty much a smaller version of the Sydney Harbour Bridge (both were designed and built by the same company at the same time nearby here in Middlesbrough)

Back on topic, I'm massively excited for Pearson/Sots now. Anything other than Sots getting battered in embarrassing fashion will be a let down for me. ;)

No sauna mishaps this time.

Weigh In Results:

George Sotiropoulos (155) vs. Ross Pearson (155)

Robert Whittaker (170) vs. Brad Scott (171)

Colin 'Freakshow' Fletcher (155) vs. Norman Parke (155)

Hector Lombard (186) vs. Rousimar Palhares (186)

Chad Mendes (146) vs. Yaotzin Meza (145)

Igor Pokrajac (205) vs. Joey Beltran (204)

Mike Pierce (171) vs. Seth Baczynski (170)

Ben Alloway (171) vs. Manny Rodriguez (171)

Brendan Loughnane (155) vs. Mike Wilkinson (155)

Nick Penner (205) vs. Cody Donovan (204)

Interesting that Lombard vs. Palhares went from co-main to opener. The way Sonnen, Glazier and Bendo were talking on the weigh in show, it seems like they think Lombard will get the boot with a loss or unimpressive performance here.

• Paid Members

It wouldn't shock me. Lombard's on a lot of money, if he goes 0-2 and looks shit again I think they will bin him. I think he wins impressively tonight though. Palhares is a beast and there's always the risk he catches a leg but I think Lombard KOs him.

I'm also hoping for a Pearson win. I'm not fussed really about who wins the two finale fights though if I'm being honest. I don't think anyone from that show would have held up against decent US or Brazilian talent like we got on the other shows. Fletcher is mildly interesting with his clown gimmick, but I don't see him doing much in the division.

The Neslon/Carwin show maybe wasn't as exciting, but it had better talent on show, that's for sure.

I'm also hoping for a Pearson win. I'm not fussed really about who wins the two finale fights though if I'm being honest. I don't think anyone from that show would have held up against decent US or Brazilian talent like we got on the other shows. Fletcher is mildly interesting with his clown gimmick, but I don't see him doing much in the division.

The Neslon/Carwin show maybe wasn't as exciting, but it had better talent on show, that's for sure.

I don't know about that. Scott/Alloway was a way better fight than anything on the TUF16 series, I think there were some definite weak links on the Smashes but the best fighters on the show were better.

• Paid Members

Time will tell but I think the likes of Colin Fletcher, Brad Scott, Manny Rodriguez and Rob Whittaker could carve out a decent run in the UFC. Not saying they'll be in title contention or anything but I think they could have some success. Whittaker the jury's out on a bit for me because of how short his fights were on the show, but he's clearly dangerous. He could put a lot of guys out at a certain level. Who knows when he steps up.

I can't fucking wait for Pearson vs Sadsack. I don't think their styles would have allowed for a bad fight anyway but add the whole UK vs Australia element and the bad blood from the show and it's pretty much a cert to be an action packed fight. And the best part about it is it's not an easy fight to pick. Usually you have a pretty good idea with most fights who is more likely to win, this fight is close to 50/50 in my opinion. I'm thinking Pearson will get the better of it on the feet though and Sots doesn't have great takedowns. So I'm picking Pearson by TKO. Should be a great fight whatever happens.

It's amazing what the show has done for this fight. When these two were announced as coaches I just thought 'Ah good little fight'. Now it's become one of the most anticipated fights of the year for me. That's what TUF is meant to be. To find new talent and make you want to see the coaches' fight. This has done both.

And now the weigh ins are done, providing the fighters don't come down with a last minute bout of the shits or a bomb goes off at the hotel or something, this fight will actually happen. It will finally break the streak of the TUF coaches fight going tits up.

george-sotiropoulos-ross-pearson-e1355472171858.jpg

Archived