UFC on FX 6/ TUF: The Smashes (Aus vs. UK) Discussion Thread

Shane O' Mac Version 2

Pick the winners/winning method  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I have to disagree Jim. I think Sot has shown himself to be a prize prick throughout. I don't get the impression from him that he knows what he's doing like a Chael Sonnen or a Frank Mir. They're antagonists and wind up merchants by design.

Sot comes off like an awkward, abraisive dickhead and I get the impression that he doesn't even realise he comes off like that. I'll always enjoy watching him fight because he's got a great style to watch but as a person I think he seems a right berk.

As for Valentino, yeah not keen. He seems a bit of a knob, same with Luke and Brendan. I like Bola though and Freakshow of course.

Speaking of Valentino, why was he just assuming he'd get the shot anyway? Bola is the one who put Manny out, and I think he would have been a better option anyway.

I can agree he came across as a dick in the gym incident, but I still found it amusing.

I think he knows what he is doing with his little smarky comments at fight selection though, I can get why others and maybe even the majority do not like him but I do for some reason.

I forgot about Brendan, I agree he is a knob. He looks about 12 as well.

I think he knows what he is doing with his little smarky comments at fight selection though

I think that goes without saying really, but I don't think thats why people don't like him - I think its more so that my 4 year old nephew could come up with better insults. Some of the stuff George comes out with is just cringey, even those on Team UK look embarrassed for him when he talks sometimes. That's my view, anyway.

I think he knows what he is doing with his little smarky comments at fight selection though

I think that goes without saying really, but I don't think thats why people don't like him - I think its more so that my 4 year old nephew could come up with better insults.

How do we know that "people" don't like him though? I've never really heard anything bad about him, except from some British MMA fans, which is to be expected with a show like this.

Fletcher may be right that some of the Australian guys aren't the most outgoing, but at least they aren't fucking retards. I'd be surprised if any of the British lads get anywhere with the exception of Fletcher himself. Not through a real lack of talent though, simply because they strike me as the type who'll fuck it up for themselves outside the cage.

George has been getting a decent amount of backlash from Aussie fans on some forums and Twitter, some even now hoping for a Pearson win just because of how George is on the show. So its obviously not just "some British MMA fans".

Having just jumped on his Twitter account there it all seems to be pretty much positive stuff he's getting, encouraging him to beat Pearson. I could be wrong right enough, but personally I think neither of the coaches have come off well this season. Pearson is coming across as a bit of a cocky, smarmy character as well.

• Paid Members

Sots doesn't come off so good, but to be honest, the Brits (Freekshow and Diary bloke, aside) really make themselves look like a bunch of knuckle dragging morons. The sort of cunts that would probably go looking for a tear up outside a kebab shop on a Saturday night. I was praying they'd get booted off when the phone stuff came out last week, then to see Luke just laughing about it all afterwards with no concern. What a knob.

As stated above though, Freekshow seems a class act on all fronts.

Fletcher is easily the best fighter on the show. The Australians seem a bit outclassed, which is to be expected I guess as MMA hasn't quite hit the heights there that it has in the US & Europe from what I see.

Again, aside from Fletcher, the rest of the UK team seem like complete tits.

Fletcher is easily the best fighter on the show. The Australians seem a bit outclassed, which is to be expected I guess as MMA hasn't quite hit the heights there that it has in the US & Europe from what I see.

Totally. It might be the largest collection of thick bastards that TUF has ever had on the same team.

It was kinda clear straight away by the fucking idiotic "gangsta" noises some of them were making when they turned up. The Aussies are a fucking boring bunch but they aren't as obviously stupid. A couple of the Brits (Valentino and another who's name escapes me) just crack me up simply by talking. That Valentino has a permanent look on his face like that of a young child that is about to get a bollocking at school. In fact, that's it; they literally act like a group of 12 year olds at school.

Freakshow seems like the least moronic, but he doesn't have a proper sense of humour either. His silly outfits and all that shit is a clear misdirection from the fact he's pretty much as humourless as the rest of them. Seems a nice enough bloke though, and not the mental pub-nightmare-twats some of them seem to be.

It's been a great series though, way better than the Carwin/Nelson one, as others have said.

^ I think thats a bit harsh on Freakshow, he's probably one of the most naturally funny guys I've met. What exactly does a 'proper sense of humour' entail?

Little bit of news for the finale:

Anthony Perosh is out of his fight against Joey Beltran due to one of the most horrible looking broken toes I've ever seen.

*PIC* (Not for the faint hearted)

^ To add to that, Igor Pokrajac is taking Perosh's spot in the Finale. Think I actually like that fight better.

On to this week's episode...

Interesting to see all the semis revealed at once. I really think the tournament aspect of the show could be enhanced by showing the viewers a graphic of the brackets as the show progresses. I missed the first 5-10 minutes of the show, so I don't know why Mike Wilkinson got taken out. I get Dana's point about the rule breaking, seems like a fair punishment really, to give a UK spot to an Aussie guy. Although with this, and the whole James/Xavier thing the other week, Dana does seem to favour the Aussies somewhat. I guess his thinking is that he wants to try and avoid an all UK final on the Finale, might not play well in front of an Aussie audience.

Don't know what George was thinking, giving the spot to Richie. I like Richie, and he had a more impressive fight than Grant, but he's still a bantamweight who ate a shitload of takeaway to get on the show. Freakshow is the biggest LW by far, previously won a Welterweight championship. Insane, a true David vs. Goliath battle there. George got on my nerves again at the weigh-ins, and his striking coach is a total knob as well. Saying after the incident, "That's just disrespectful, shows Ross's character," ... he started all this shit! Damn, he's a dick. Still a great fighter, but he's got something missing upstairs. Maybe that dos Anjos KO made him lose a few too many brain cells.

Valentino came off like a total asshole as well. "Ben will probably just run away from the fight the whole time." Talk about sour grapes, just because Benny Alloway knocked him out.

The fight itself was the best this season. Back and forth the whole way, you couldn't call a win from either guy a robbery. The corners and even the ref thought the fight was actually going to a 4th round, has that ever happened on TUF? Benny was really upset, but unlike TUF 16, there's still heaps of vacant spots on the Finale for Smashes contestants. If a performance like that doesn't get you on the card, I don't know what will.

• Paid Members

Insomnia is a cunt so I just got up and watched episode 9. Good show again with a great fight. Defo the best fight of the season so far. Like Pearson said, Brad Scott is very Forrest Griffin-like in look and fighting style. Really good fight.

Pearson is coming across as a bit of a cocky, smarmy character as well.

Really? I don't see what Pearson has done to come off as cocky at all on this show. I think he's come off well and certainly in a much better light than Sots. And that's nothing to do with UK vs Australia for me and everything to do with Sots being a total plank. Pearson seems a good guy to me.

Totally. It might be the largest collection of thick bastards that TUF has ever had on the same team.

For me it's just Luke, Val and Brendan I don't like. Freakshow is class and I like Wilkinson and Bola. Brad seems OK as well, the diary thing was a big load of nothing from what I can make out.

I get Dana's point about the rule breaking, seems like a fair punishment really, to give a UK spot to an Aussie guy. Although with this, and the whole James/Xavier thing the other week, Dana does seem to favour the Aussies somewhat. I guess his thinking is that he wants to try and avoid an all UK final on the Finale, might not play well in front of an Aussie audience.

I didn't get that to be honest. Dana said it was because of the phone thing but didn't he already punish Team UK last week by bringing Xavier back instead of a Brit? They've used this phone thing as a convenient excuse to bring back Aussies. If not for that we'd have been looking at a semi final round which would be very thin on Aussies.

I don't think the fights quite went how Dana and co were expecting. I think they were hoping for the Aussies to wreck shop. From what I've read the UK lightweights were a solid bunch of picks but the picks for Team UK at 170 were questionable. There's been mention on Cage Warriors that there were some surprising omissions and some really good UK 170lbers didn't get picked at the trials. With the UFC trying to build their brand in Australia, it's like they were hoping the Aussies would smash Team UK.

There was similar criticism of TUF 9 where Team UK was really strong while the US representitives they picked weren't much cop.

Don't know what George was thinking, giving the spot to Richie. I like Richie, and he had a more impressive fight than Grant, but he's still a bantamweight who ate a shitload of takeaway to get on the show.

To be fair I don't think he had a lot of choice. Didn't they say Richie and Grant were the only 2 lightweights who were healthy? If it was between them 2 then I defo think George made the right call. Still don't see Richie faring too well with the Freak though.

Valentino came off like a total asshole as well. "Ben will probably just run away from the fight the whole time." Talk about sour grapes, just because Benny Alloway knocked him out.

Yeah Val Penis seems a right dick. Ben Alloway's "running away" knocked Val on his arse and put him out of the competition so what does that say about him?

Benny was really upset, but unlike TUF 16, there's still heaps of vacant spots on the Finale for Smashes contestants. If a performance like that doesn't get you on the card, I don't know what will.

I'd like to see Benny vs Xavier at the finale after all the tension between them over the semi final picks. Of course that's assuming Xavier loses to Rob Whittaker which I think he will.

I see the finals being;

Lightweight: Colin Fletcher vs Norman Parke

Welterweight: Brad Scott vs Rob Whittaker

Oh and that Team Aus striking coach...what a twat. The words "mid life crisis" spring to mind. I wonder if this was the episode with the rumoured car park brawl they couldn't show.

Archived