Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

She's a good looking lass, but has a different enough look to stand out. I'd say Becky Lynch is the same. It's probably because they don't look like Rosa Mendes, who in time is slowly looking like Greta from the Gremlins.

Am I the only one who doesn't find Paige attractive at all? She really does nothing for me in the slightest.

She's the perfect woman in every single possible way. What on earth could you not like about her?

The pale skin mainly. Oh, and her accent.

• Paid Members

Saw a book from 1986 about multi-channel TV in the UK. It mentioned that the best rated show on Sky Channel (the forerunner to Sky 1) in 1985 was WWF All Star Wrestling. That was the B show, which later became Wrestling Challenge.

It also mentioned Sky airing WrestleMania, specifically referring to Ali and Liberace. That's a surprise as I'd always been under the impression Sky only aired WrestleMania 2 onwards.

• Paid Members

I think everyone I knew in the 90s said they got Sky for the WWF and The Simpsons. Maybe the odd one said MTV as well, but those were the three things everyone wanted. Its funny how WWE, The Simpsons and MTV are all still around, yet everyone complains about how shit they are in 2015.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Am I the only one who doesn't find Paige attractive at all? She really does nothing for me in the slightest.

She's the perfect woman in every single possible way. What on earth could you not like about her?

Small boobs.

• Paid Members

3 videos here.

Remember these shitty links that used to air during Smackdown on Sky Sports? This was my favourite:

https://youtu.be/nDm0JZ-OdCA

This one is pretty cool - it's a tape of local promos sent by WWF to SKY TV in 1986 before the WWF started airing in the UK. I was given this by the guy who worked for SKY at the time & brokered the deal (Mene Gene even gives him a name-check). Includes a few out-takes. Nice to have.

Sheamus' debut on RAW as a security guard on a UK show on 13th Nov 2006. He had a tryout earlier that day. He takes a pedigree here.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2scant_sheamus-wwe-raw-debut-13-11-06_sport

Edited by herbie747

• Moderators

Saw a book from 1986 about multi-channel TV in the UK. It mentioned that the best rated show on Sky Channel (the forerunner to Sky 1) in 1985 was WWF All Star Wrestling. That was the B show, which later became Wrestling Challenge.

It also mentioned Sky airing WrestleMania, specifically referring to Ali and Liberace. That's a surprise as I'd always been under the impression Sky only aired WrestleMania 2 onwards.

Yeah, I found some proof of WWF being on SKY Channel in listings from 1984/5 before, possibly TV-Ark?

• Paid Members

Yeah, I found some proof of WWF being on SKY Channel in listings from 1984/5 before, possibly TV-Ark?

Weird isn't it? Considering the video I posted above from 1986 - where all the promos are based on WWF "coming to western europe on the SKY channel".

Edited by herbie747

• Moderators

Fuck knows why, very weird indeed. Maybe they were just the Australian Challenge tapes Sky Channel were showing or something, however it appears that Sky were showing it prior to 1986. Very odd.

Here's some listings from 1984, I've reason to believe it'd be WWF, what with Lister confirming they showed Wrestlemania I.

sky_channel_schedule1984.jpg

Edited by PowerButchi

Love the 86 Mean Gene clips Herbie, cheers for that.

By 3 minutes in Savage had mentioned locking Elizabeth away in a room and Bret Hart had talked about fighting the Bulldogs in Wembley stadium. Funny how things turned out.

It also mentioned Sky airing WrestleMania, specifically referring to Ali and Liberace. That's a surprise as I'd always been under the impression Sky only aired WrestleMania 2 onwards

Wasn't WrestleMania I closed-circuit only?, if so that must have aired on a tape delay or something, as I doubt it could have aired live since it didn't even air live on PPV in the US. I think wrestling and other similar programming was used to 'pad out' the earlier Satellite channel(s) schedule as that would have been cheaper than first run programming. Plus it would have been a way for Vince to help expand the WWF internationally so it's a win-win situation for both parties. Can anyone definitely confirm when the WWF first debuted in the UK? I'm guessing it would have been 84/85 and I think with the early days of Sky they aired WCCW and a few other promotions too. But I'm guessing in the TV schedule above the wrestling most likely would have been the WWF since I don't think any other wrestling promotion would have had international syndication. Also Hulk won the WWF World title in January 1984 IIRC so that would have been at the beginning of the Hulkamania run in Apr'84. I wonder if anyone has any tapes of WWF on the Sky channel from that time to confirm whether it was on?