Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

I'd love to know who their target audience was in those days. Teenagers who got beat up a lot?

It was a bizarre time, was 1995. I was absolutely obsessed with wrestling then but couldn’t let it be known.

We used to give a chap in our class abuse over everything, and wrestling was one of them. “Yeah, you ***homophobic slur***, watching men with shaved chests with long hair, lathered in baby oil in their leather undercrackers rolling around with other men!!!”

When I’d secretly be going home doing the Shawn Michaels pose/double bicep flex into the big mirror on our landing at the top of the stairs, with biceps on me, no bigger than my undropped bollox.

KOTR 95 is the year of the manager.

Savio Vega w/ Razor Ramon.

Yokozuna w/ Mr Fuji

The Roadie w/ Jeff Jarrett

Kama w/ Ted Di Biase

Mable w/ Mo

Undertaker w/ Paul Bearer

The coronation of Mable is worth watching just to see him get twatted on the head from something thrown by the crowd. Clocks him right off the head and the whole crowd cheers.

KOTR 95 is the year of the manager.

Savio Vega w/ Razor Ramon.

Yokozuna w/ Mr Fuji

The Roadie w/ Jeff Jarrett

Kama w/ Ted Di Biase

Mable w/ Mo

Undertaker w/ Paul Bearer

The coronation of Mable is worth watching just to see him get twatted on the head from something thrown by the crowd. Clocks him right off the head and the whole crowd cheers.

Not to mention all of the ECW chants which Vince puts over as "this super passionate crowd".

• Paid Members
Plus, it's not as bad when you know what happens because you can laugh at how terrible it is. At the time, being invested in HBK or The Undertaker, you'd have cried.

You're not wrong. I'd been very excited by Shawn turning babyface and looking at the field going in, he had to win. It was incredibly weak apart from the Undertaker and by that point I was conditioned to think "Undertaker doesn't win belts or tournaments, he doesn't need it or want it and they'll find a way for ten guys to stuff him in a coffin again." Watching Shawn fail to beat a useless lump like Kama actually could have been the first time I thought that maybe wrestling wasn't always brilliant.

I still bought the tape. I don't know why.

I actually blame this event for making me a bit of a Savio Vega fanthereI'vesaidit.

With him being a substitution who qualified at the last minute before the tournament began, I found his underdog angle compelling and was behind him to win.

That attachment never quite faded, and when he competed in what appeared to be WWE's first triple threat match a couple of years later against Faarooq and Crush, I'd have backed him to be the first holder of a Triple Threat Title, which I had to settle for creating in my Hasbro fed.

He was still a shite replacement for Michaels in that pre-WM14 In Your House tag though.

KOTR95 is perfect for the Savio Vega man. Always thought even amongst the mix of watching bad shows that it was about as dull as they come, kind of diametrically opposed to, say, New Blood Rising. I looked up the match listing for In Your House 4 because that was the other horrible event that year - still more noteworthy because it was Goldust's debut against Marty Jannetty - and it's dark match main event is Owen and Yoko Vs. Bam Bam and Savio. Coooool!

Why didn't they just keep the cameras going and put those one or two dark matches on the PPVs? I know In Your House was formatted to be shorter and thus cheaper but like... you're doing them anyway? Why not use Bret Hart as a draw, even if he's only wrestling to get his jacket back from a French Canadian pirate.

KOTR95 is perfect for the Savio Vega man. Always thought even amongst the mix of watching bad shows that it was about as dull as they come, kind of diametrically opposed to, say, New Blood Rising. I looked up the match listing for In Your House 4 because that was the other horrible event that year - still more noteworthy because it was Goldust's debut against Marty Jannetty - and it's dark match main event is Owen and Yoko Vs. Bam Bam and Savio. Coooool!

Why didn't they just keep the cameras going and put those one or two dark matches on the PPVs? I know In Your House was formatted to be shorter and thus cheaper but like... you're doing them anyway? Why not use Bret Hart as a draw, even if he's only wrestling to get his jacket back from a French Canadian pirate.

They did keep the cameras going tho. On the new Attitude Set there's the Shawn Vs Goldust match from IYH Buried Alive and the Shawn Vs Mankind match from IYH Its Time amongst other PPV dark matches.

Edited by EdgarTheSlouch

Yeah I'd forgotten that. Still makes a mystery why they didn't just broadcast them then. It's not like it would cost that much extra to broadcast. Maybe they wanted to build the live events up as something you had to go to. They didn't even put the matches on the VHS releases of the full shows!

Yeah I'd forgotten that. Still makes a mystery why they didn't just broadcast them then. It's not like it would cost that much extra to broadcast. Maybe they wanted to build the live events up as something you had to go to. They didn't even put the matches on the VHS releases of the full shows!

They did for the first few. The VHS of IYH 1 had Taker/Kama and Bigelow/Tatanka dark matches. (That night there was also a taped Owen/Bulldog match which was used as a KOTR qualifier on Raw) On IYH 2 there was Taker/Kama (again) and Bret/Jean Pierre Lafitte.

There's probably a whole load of reasons why they weren't aired. Time constraints, also a lot of the matches weren't nesscarily  PPV quality. The ones I've seen have been short, mid 90s era house show quality.  

Edited by EdgarTheSlouch