Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Awards Moderator

Is Gangrel still on good terms with them? The camera spotted him at the Hall of Fame this year during Rikishi's speech, and he had that great mini-return on SmackDown with Viscera about ten years ago. I remember being disappointed he didn't stick around a bit longer like Vis did.

Is Gangrel still on good terms with them? The camera spotted him at the Hall of Fame this year during Rikishi's speech, and he had that great mini-return on SmackDown with Viscera about ten years ago. I remember being disappointed he didn't stick around a bit longer like Vis did.

Vis got a run out of it, but didn't Gangrel look completely out of his depth, even though he'd worked fairly frequently on All Star tours etc. I seem to recall a triple threat with Taker and thought he was woeful.

• Awards Moderator

Vis got a run out of it, but didn't Gangrel look completely out of his depth, even though he'd worked fairly frequently on All Star tours etc. I seem to recall a triple threat with Taker and thought he was woeful.

He probably did, yeah, I'm remembering it far too nostalgically. I think SmackDown was on one of its downhill 'Raw's nicked all our best guys' periods at the time, so the addition of a couple of recognisable characters made me a bit more interested in it again. I can't even remember why the two of them came back, now I think of it...

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

Why the fuck is everyone crowing about her now she's 'retire'

Can we have a pinned thread "THE UKFF HATES AJ LEE" so everyone knows that shit ain't happening here?

Was there anything that happened around the time of WM4, considering a huge percentage of the wrestlers on the card seemed to be let go and/or weren't seen again in WWF after that event. Was there a

clearout or any other reason for this?

There seemed to be a natural change in the mid-card around 88/89 as a lot of fresh talent came in, particularly in the tag ranks. I'd imagine they didn't renew certain guys because Bossman, The Rockers, Powers of Pain, Arn & Tully, Terry Taylor and Dustin Rhodes came in. I think Bad News Brown turned up not long after. Akeem "debuted" not long after WM4 too.

He probably did, yeah, I'm remembering it far too nostalgically. I think SmackDown was on one of its downhill 'Raw's nicked all our best guys' periods at the time, so the addition of a couple of recognisable characters made me a bit more interested in it again. I can't even remember why the two of them came back, now I think of it...

According to Wikipedia (and it does make sense as soon as you read it) they came back in the run up to Taker vs JBL at No Mercy a few weeks later, as a nod to Bradshaw being in Taker's Ministry outfit a few years earlier.

I can't remember the turnaround time for a proper return, but Vis was full time six months later on the Wrestlemania Revenge tour.

Edited by Ant

• Paid Members

According to Wikipedia (and it does make sense as soon as you read it) they came back in the run up to Taker vs JBL at No Mercy a few weeks later, as a nod to Bradshaw being in Taker's Ministry outfit a few years earlier.

I can't remember the turnaround time for a proper return, but Vis was full time six months later on the Wrestlemania Revenge tour.

I actually remember the feud, and there was an angle where JBL came and brought them out, telling Taker he had some "familiar faces" who were going to fight him.

If I'm honest, I really didn't think Gangrel was woeful in that match - he did some basic stuff, but it was a pretty short match in which both guys only got some token offence in. I'm glad Vis came back and went on to be the great Big Daddy V, but I was a little disappointed Gangrel didn't stay.

I'd have been 13 at the time and I remember thinking their return was lame as hell and laughing at it. They looked awful, especially Gangrel. It felt like they were outdated and shouldn't be there.

Watching their handicap match now, it was decent.

Edited by Sphinx

• Paid Members

Did the WWF stop running the "C" and "D" level shows around this time?

Nah. C shows at least carried on for ages with a card of upper midcarders (including Warrior) in one town, Hogan and Savage on the A and B shows. Into 1990 they were still running three house shows a day, one with Hogan, one with Warrior, and one with a show still stacked with a mix of guys from Duggan, Jake, Beefcake, Mr Perfect, the Harts, the Rockers, whoever. When he wasn't feuding with Hogan or Warrior, you'd get a lot of Randy Savage main events against Duggan or Dusty Rhodes. Plenty of "C" shows were fucking loaded, actually.

I'd imagine they didn't renew certain guys because Bossman, The Rockers, Powers of Pain, Arn & Tully, Terry Taylor and Dustin Rhodes came in. I think Bad News Brown turned up not long after.

Bad News debuted on TV in January 1988.

EDIT - almost forgot, I came here to post my own random thought - has anyone else ever given made-up names of their own to thrown-together tag teams that didn't have a proper name? I don't mean shit portmanteaus like "Londrick" but an actual name? Me and my mate used to refer to Godfather and Val Venis as "Supply And Demand" and I have never really got out of the habit of referring to AJ Styles and Chris Daniels as "The Phenomenal Angels." A bit embarrassing, but whatever. Anyone else do similar?

Edited by air_raid

• Awards Moderator

EDIT - almost forgot, I came here to post my own random thought - has anyone else ever given made-up names of their own to thrown-together tag teams that didn't have a proper name? I don't mean shit portmanteaus like "Londrick" but an actual name? Me and my mate used to refer to Godfather and Val Venis as "Supply And Demand" and I have never really got out of the habit of referring to AJ Styles and Chris Daniels as "The Phenomenal Angels." A bit embarrassing, but whatever. Anyone else do similar?

Oh yeah, definitely - although I can't think of any off the top of my head, I would always tend to designate a name to a team that was just '____ & _____'. And if a team name was only ever referenced very briefly, like The Showgunns, that would be my name for the team from that point on. If you're going to be a tag team, you needed a proper tag team name, that was my thinking. If I remember any that I had I'll edit them in to here - I'll have had loads for the likes of Spike & Big Show, Haku & Rikishi, K-Kwik & Road Dogg, Scotty & Albert, Sexay & Blackman, Cena & B-2, Test & Steiner, Rosey & Hurricane, RVD & Booker, RVD & Rey, Rhyno & Benoit, Guerrero & Tajiri, Haas & Rico, Gunn & Holly, Cade & Murdoch, Dupree & Suzuki, Morley & Storm, Booker & Goldust, fucking hell, I could go on forever with the amount of teams who never got a name in the early 2000s.

But I will say, you nicked that Supply And Demand name from the WWF Magazine! 

• Paid Members
But I will say, you nicked that Supply And Demand name from the WWF Magazine!

It's possible, although I'm sure I'd jacked WWF Magazine in by that point and was only bothering with Power Slam and the occasional Raw if it had a nice Diva centerfold in it. My brain is chock full of stuff inspired by/nicked from places and I don't know where it comes from.

I did assign "Supply & Demand" to a team in my fictional fed, althought that was more of a drug gimmick than women of questionable virtue, as per Val/Godfather.

• Paid Members

They were also called Supply & Demand on TNM7.

That's DEFINITELY it. I played that game to such obsessive levels, every single minute of my spare time, there were days I forgot to wank.

• Paid Members

D'you ever over gimmick matches like I did so they ended in a 10 hour draw as they were so gimmicked up there was actually no way they could end otherwise?

Yes. I had a "Texas Death Match" style match where one guy got hit with a finish really early so he had no energy to get any moves on the (underpowered) guy that I'd stuck him in there to beat, but he kept getting up before the 10 count because he had the top endurance stats and the other guy couldn't keep him down, so the match just wasn't going to end.