UKFF's Letterboxd Directory

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Yeah, get on there and fix it. Usually takes a few hours for the changes to take effect on Letterboxd. You can add films as well if you see anything missing on Letterboxd, I've done it myself a few times.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Ive just signed up to this website to keep track of films I watch going forward.

I wont be reviewing anything as thats just not me, ill give a score out of five and have a list for each year where i rank the films, but thats it.

Are there any tips and tricks worth knowing or is Letterboxd very much what you see is what you get?

I will also follow any active users from the first post of this thread

• Paid Members

Sure, take this for example.

http://letterboxd.com/director/shane-black/

Click on the eye icon and it will fade all the films you have seen by them. Plus there are a bunch of other options in the drop-down menu.

Reset my password and back on there after forgetting all about it. Agree what was said regarding Devon and ozzfan, great reviewers. I'm mainly using it to keep a track of films Ive watched this year, I'll leave the reviews to you chaps.

• Paid Members

Just a quick note to thank you for taking time to write the reviews Devon - very entertaining and they are spurring me on to watch films I would never normally think of watching

To strike while the iron is hot im going to pick up a film magazine to read on my commute - I had a quick look in the newsagents and the two main ones seem to be Empire and Total Film. Any thoughts as to the better one to pick up? Or any others worth getting?

• Paid Members

Empire is better than Total Film but it's still not great. It has the odd decent article but focuses way too much on superhero and franchise stuff. I still buy it, out of habit really, but I don't remember the last genuinely great issue. It also seems to slowly be drifting towards a film/TV mag hybrid now, they devote a lot of time to Walking Dead/GoT/all that shit which is a massive shame. The Empire Podcasts can be decent though, depending on the guests and hosts.

Total Film is pretty much the same type of magazine, just not as well written imo.

If you like more obscure, indie/arthouse films then Sight & Sound would be worth checking out. 

• Paid Members

waters44 - Thanks, man. It's been interesting being a part of Letterboxd and doing reviews on an almost daily basis, sometimes I wonder if I would watch as much as I do these days if I didn't have somewhere like that to write about them and talk to others about them. But it's kept me busy at key times of the last few years and so I'm quite attached to it.

As for film magazines, much like Lorne says, Sight & Sound is your best bet if you want to read something more 'cinematic' whereas the other two mostly covers Hollywood stuff. I haven't bought Empire for a few years now because it was pretty much wall-to-wall cape shit after a point but I think you might be better off looking for something online. Little White Lies mixes the two together pretty well, I think.

Empire is far superior to Total Film, but to be honest, I gave up my subscription as pretty much all of the content is on the website. Sight and Sound is indeed great, it just depends if you're that deep into film, as I'd say that's one for your real cinemaphiles.

I tell you what is a treat every now and then, Little White Lies. Beautiful stuff, smells lovely too.

Anyone else miss Neon and Hotdog? :(

Archived