Sign in to follow this  
Chest Rockwell

Video artwork

The Maniac Cop VHS was one that called out for me for months before I persuaded the Old Man to rent it out for me. Hell, even now I want to see it again, just by looking at that cover - even though I know it's quite shit now.

Black Shampoo looks great, never even heard of that one!

I remember the trailer for this more than the film, but this one always stuck with me...

THE%20AMBULANCE.jpg

..yeah, you make that car look scary!

I'm 100% with Chest on this, great topic. I love painted movie covers so much, I went through a period where I'd buy loads of videos from boot sales & stuff just for the covers, mostly films i'd never even heard of. I'll post some later, I'm on my phone at work at the moment.

It's a lost art and so often they made the film look 10 times better than it was.

Pretty much word for word my thoughts on the matter. I picked up a bag of ten VHS from a charity shop a couple of months ago, where about seven of them were picked purely on the strength of the cover art. Included in that ten were:

hardbodies-movie-poster-1984-1020248512.jpg

It doesn't get any more "80s fratboy comedy" than this. Anyone who buys this knows exactly what they're getting.

drillerkiller.jpg

Imagine seeing that in HMV these days.

NakedLunch_B1-1-500x698.jpg

The Japanese artwork for Naked Lunch.

Edited by Merzbow

I'm 100% with Chest on this, great topic. I love painted movie covers so much, I went through a period where I'd buy loads of videos from boot sales & stuff just for the covers, mostly films i'd never even heard of. I'll post some later, I'm on my phone at work at the moment.

It's a lost art and so often they made the film look 10 times better than it was.

Pretty much word for word my thoughts on the matter. I picked up a bag of ten VHS from a charity shop a couple of months ago, where about seven of them were picked purely on the strength of the cover art. Included in that ten were:

Hah.. I knew it would be up your street; I was just waiting for your appearance in this thread as soon as I created it!

It was never used (and isn't as good as the final video/poster design but I love the original BTTF artwork, its far more 80s

tumblr_l8g7cvZTKG1qb9ngzo1_500.jpg

And the 10 year old me always wanted to see this

The%20Entity%20video%20cover.jpg

Edited by chokeout

What kid in 1990 wouldn't want to see this....

Crash-and-Burn-VHS-Box.png

Unfortunately, "The weapons of the future are alive" for about 2 minutes at the end. Having endured 90 minutes of boring, shit acting, one robot stands up, that's pretty much it. A huge letdown, as it was the sequel to Robot Jox, which I enjoyed a lot as a kid. Crash and Burn bored me then and now.

Mother fucker! I was thinking about Crash & Burn and Robot Jox, it's true about there being minimal robot action too, I remember my friends & I watcing it in the school holidays only to be massively disappointed.

Not good artwork but it made me remember

arena_ring_de_las_galaxias_1989.jpg

Bastard! I really want to go and watch Arena now, even though I know I shouldn't. I've already bookmarked The Lift thanks to this thread. I've always got too much stuff I want to watch!

Sign in to follow this