Art Of Wrestling podcast

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I figured this deserved its own thread now it's been going for 2 years.

I hadn't listened to it for a few months actually, but I'm going back through the archive now. The Daivari one is really good actually, but I noticed that John Morrison has been interviewed recently. Any good or just as boring as I suspect it might be?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't bother with the Morrison one. I turned it off halfway through. He is such a monotonous man. He spent most of the time talking about his fitness program which was incredibly dull. The Gregory Iron was really interesting, as was the one with Rolan Alexander.

My absolute favourite is the Domino Nigeria story. I think i've listened to it 10 times and its just as funny as the first time. I also enjoyed the Kevin Steen, Steve Corino and Zack Ryder ones. And of course the 100th with Punk interviewing Cabana.

• Paid Members
Alex Shane's is a MUST listen. He invented the shoot interview y'know.

I couldn't finish that one. He was an absolutely insufferable twat. Even Cabana sounded pissed off with the shit he was coming out with.

I think Cunt Cabana is a right colt, but the show can be excellent with the right guest. I always skip the front ten and final five minutes when the interview has finished, but the chat in the middle is often enjoyable. The Compton Nigeria story is the pick of the ones I've listened to, but both the Punk interview and Punk hosting Episode 100 are decent as the buddy buddy ones with the likes of Hawkins, Ryder, Gallows & Beth Phoenix.

The two standouts for me are MVP and PAC, for entirely different reasons. MVP has some incredible stories of his time in gangs and prison as well as his WWE experiences, and PAC spends half the time acting like a shy boy-man before he relaxes into it and opens up in a way I've certainly never seen or heard anywhere else.

I used to skip the intro part, but now on my second listen to most I try it out. Often funny bits where Compton or punk show up. Sure cabana can be hard work, and tends to be a bit too much about him, but he gets good conversations out of most guests, he is on their level and having experience with them it usually throws up a good story or two. Good intro into people u wouldn't normally be interested in.

• Paid Members

As well as being quite overbearing at times, Colt is also not a great interviewer and it can be frustrating. He'll ask a question that turns into a stream of consciousness rant where he begins to half answer the question for them before they can speak, and then when they start to answer he decides he still hadn't quite phrased it how he wanted to and cuts them off.

It's not enough to completely overshadow some tremendous stories and hilarious guests though. The best episodes have all been listed already, and I could listen to Cliff Compton tell stories for days. It's not just the sheer insanity of the Nigeria trip; his delivery and general flair for storytelling had me laughing before he even got into the Power Uti madness.

Listening to the Domino episodes again also inspired me to go back and watch some early Deuce and Domino squash matches and they're loads of fun; much more so than I remember them being the first time. They're constantly talking shit for the entire match and delivering some fantastically violent offense to go with it. Beating the crap out of one of the guys and then chucking him to his corner and ordering him to tag is the kind of jobber abuse I can really get behind. It's what they're for.

The crack'em in the mouth from Deuce at the end of this match is a thing of beauty too:

Are you freakin kiddin' me?!? HUH?!? Awesome.

Archived