UFC 149: Faber vs. Barao

Egg Shen

Who Wins?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Although Faber made it the full 5 rounds with Aldo, Aldo did ease off a bit and could have finished him. I think Barao will finish Faber late. It is not out the question that Faber will last the distance, Scott Jorgenson lasted 3 rounds with Barao.

I see Barao winning though, Faber has not evolved as a fighter, Cruz made his look basic at times. Faber has power in his hands and comes forward, but that style could lead to Barao catching him. Faber reminds me of how much MMA has evolved in even the past few years, in 2008 he was a P4P king in my eyes, I used to wish him and Kid Yamamoto would happen. Now time and evolution have caught up to both.

Faber did look very good against Brian Bowles, the most impressed I have been in him in a while. But Barao is in another league to Bowles in my opinion. Faber is heading for a Rich Franklin position at 135/145 as a new era is ushered in to the lighter weight classes. Faber is still good, but not good enough to beat Cruz and Barao.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't see past a Lombard knockout, I'm really excited to see him in the UFC. I have to agree with David and I mentioned it before I'd like to see him face Silva straight away if he wins this impressively. Because I also think Sonnen or Weidman could beat him, take advantage of the hype now.

I'm going for a Barao KO in the 4th round. Faber won't be an easy fight, but I think Barao is awesome and should deal with everything Faber has. I really hope he knocks Faber out, I can't stand him.

I have not seen much of Lombard but this reeks of a showcase fight. Botesh is a tough guy with a lot of heart and power, but he does not have the skills or natural talent to be a genuine contender.

Lombard is a fresh guy to put against Silva (to be fair he is one of a small group) I have heard rumblings Lombard will get a title shot if he wins, whether you rate him or not, he should do enough to beat Botesh.

Bisping and Weidman will both be far from happy I am sure if he gets the title shot based on this win. I can agree that they may just be taking advantage of the hype now.

Bisping and Weidman will both be far from happy I am sure if he gets the title shot based on this win. I can agree that they may just be taking advantage of the hype now.

Weidman certainly, especially as most considered Munoz the number one contender, but Bisping lost his last fight so I don't know why he should feel aggrieved.

• Paid Members

Renan Barao highlight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJgmqQp3G_c

And these two fights are free on Youtube

Barao vs Cole Escovedo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThJl7e19eaA...;feature=relmfu

Barao vs Brad Pickett - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjtwrOIQwlA

Good fights there. The Pickett finish was flawless, blew me away on the night.

0.gif

4.gif

They've got Faber fights up aswell (vs Cruz 1, Pulver 2, Assuncao).

• Paid Members
Weidman certainly, especially as most considered Munoz the number one contender, but Bisping lost his last fight so I don't know why he should feel aggrieved.

Yeah, I know Anderson's wiped out a lot of the division and Bisping would be a fresh challenger, but I really don't think he should be as near to a title shot as a lot of people are saying. Close fight or not, the record books say he lost to Chael Sonnen. I thought Bisping edged that fight but it wasn't a robbery by any means. I don't see a case for Bisping right now, if he beats Stann I think he should have to win maybe one more fight before a title shot.

I think if Chael had beat Anderson, then Bisping might have had a bit of an argument. Maybe. Because of how close his fight with Chael was. But I don't really think you can give him a shot at Anderson coming off a loss. Then again, Bisping still thinks he got robbed against Wand so, you know.

Oh and this is cool as fuck

mma_ufc149_576.jpg

• Paid Members

is that an official UFC poster?

they've really amped up the marketing aspect of things, i love the small promo video for 149, it's not the standard looking promo, it's good stuff.

I have not seen much of Lombard but this reeks of a showcase fight. Botesh is a tough guy with a lot of heart and power, but he does not have the skills or natural talent to be a genuine contender.

Although it has to be remembered that Boetsch is a former high school state wrestling champion, and he also wrestled at University so he knows how to get a guy to the ground and hold him there if need be.

I doubt he'll be looking to use his wrestling though, even if it would be the smart move. He's spoken of knocking Lombard out, so he'll likely stay on the feet and end up losing.

• Paid Members
is that an official UFC poster?

I don't think so, I found it on MMAMania or BloodyElbow or one of them sites.

Gonna try and do my usual thing of watching all the pre-fight stuff tomorrow. Countdown, Weigh Ins, Helwani interviews, press conference and maybe some past fights of the 4 headliners.

Really getting excited about the main event.

Although it has to be remembered that Boetsch is a former high school state wrestling champion, and he also wrestled at University so he knows how to get a guy to the ground and hold him there if need be.

I doubt he'll be looking to use his wrestling though, even if it would be the smart move. He's spoken of knocking Lombard out, so he'll likely stay on the feet and end up losing.

Remember though, despite those wrestling credentials, Okami and Matt Hamill both had their way with him in the wrestling department. He also dropped bouts to good but not great wrestlers in Jason Briltz and Vlad Matushenko.

I think Lombard with his judo chops could take him down and GnP him for a TKO, in fact that is my pick.

• Paid Members

Yeah people see Lombard destroying everyone on the feet and it's easy to overlook that this fucker has some serious Judo. Can't be arsed to look it up but I'm pretty sure he made the Olympic squad for the Sydney games in 2000.

The stories of Volkmann and Barnett frustrating him on the ground don't necessarily mean he's weak there. Them two are both excellent grapplers, and in Barnett's case he's much bigger. Them stories do raise some questions on his mental strength though for me. Is he just a really good frontrunner? Can he handle it when someone doesn't go away? How will he react if he starts getting a bit of a hiding? He might be one of them guys who looks great when he's getting his own way but crumbles when it gets tough. Overeem's another who I've thought this about.

I'm not sure we'll get these questions answered with Boetsch but Lombard's swimming with the sharks now so we'll find out soon enough one way or another.

Yeah he was on the Cuban judo team in 2000.

Lombard at 5ft 9 (tiny for a MW) seems to have small man syndrome. Most fighters as listed on the other page who have come on to contact with him have had problems with him.

At 34 I am glad they signed him now when he is at least near to his peak, I am going to guess he will win against Botesh and then crumble with the big guns like Silva, Sonnen and Weidman.

• Paid Members

Add another fighter to the 'pissed off with Ariel Helwani' list.

Just been reading that Hector Lombard's is mega pissed off with him. He's saying Ariel has been stirring shit up with all the other middleweights in interviews since he was signed. Asking them if he deserves a title shot if he beats Boetsch and stuff. There's been a few conflicting rumours that something happened at the press conference aswell but I dunno. Can't have been much.

There's a short audio interview here (click the red bit under Lombard's picture to play)

http://www.790theticket.com/alexmma/blogen...ntryID=10405356

I love the way he says Ariel Elwaani

He's also saying he's gonna call out Mark Munoz whatever happens against Boetsch. He's not happy with comments Munoz made saying that the guys Lombard beat in Bellator were cans.

I wondered why Ariel didn't have a Lombard interview up. And Dana made a comment to Ariel in his interview saying 'your friend Hector Lombard' or something with a big grin on his face. We joke about Ariel being a bit of a wind up merchant but he better watch himself with Lombard. He doesn't seem like he's the full shilling to me, a bit nutty. Would be ashame for Ariel's lovely nose to get ruined :D

Archived