Championship and Lower League Thread 2012/13

patiirc

• Paid Members

Frankie, you were the first person I thought of when I heard this :(

Assuming it all goes through, who would you hope comes in? At least he's left them in a comfortable position, so in that respect it's not a bad vacancy and there wont be a shortage of people applying for the role. Not that I expect you to want to contemplate such thoughts at a time like this!

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Word is the Palace board have already sounded out Steve Coppell to replace Freedman, as his departure is now viewed as inevitable. I read a blog post by somebody already, which stated Dougie's on one of the lowest, if not the lowest, wage in the Championship at

• Awards Moderator

Shit. As much as I'm gutted to see Dougie leave, for everything he's done for us as a player and manager I can't have any ill feeling towards him. Football's a business and he's got the opportunity to further himself with a club with recent Premier League experience, better resources and on a personal level, you'd expect a considerable pay hike. For all the progress we've made on the pitch under Freedman, we simply can't compete financially with the likes of Bolton irrespective of the fact that we're above them in the table.Given that over the summer we lost key players, Dougie's worked wonders to stabilise us after a ropey start to the campaign. Best of luck to him, I say.As much as I love him for all he's done, Coppell is not the answer if that's the route they go down. It's not like we're in a Liverpool 2011-like situation where bringing a past hero back is what's needed to get us on an even keel and steady the ship. Getting someone in is key but hopefully they won't knee-jerk and make a rash appointment. I'd rather we let Lawrence and Fleming steer us with their familiarity for the coming games and then get the right bum in the seat than get Coppell (or someone else) in fast just because they're immediately available. The next few games are crucial to not let Dougie's departure wobble us and I think the wrong appointment could be detrimental and may cause us to lose ground. Although we're flying high, the tightness of the division could see us slip down the league if the players aren't fully on board with the eventual successor.St. Darren Ambrose MBE player/manager is the only logical choice.

Unconfirmed reports via local press's Twitter feeds that Paul Jewell has left Ipswich. Not sure if he's quit or been sacked. Either way, it's about bloody time. Just need to get rid of Simon Clegg, the chief exec who sacked Jim Magilton and hired Roy Keane and Jewell in the first place.

• Paid Members

And they're bottom of the league too. I laughed for all of about three seconds, before it brought back horrid memories of being in the same Championship drop zone merely four seasons ago. I still maintain that an Old Farm derby in the Premier League would be absolutely boss and having Ippy back in the big time is brilliant for East Anglian football as a whole.

...We were never rock bottom mind you!

Edit- Update: Jewell confirmed as STAYING for now. The revolution continues.

• Paid Members

Que sera sera, another loanee loanee, you're off to division three, que sera sera...

Jewell too busy watching the DVD of the game to do the presser. You couldn't make it up. Well, no-one else could.

• Paid Members
Well, cant keep a clean sheet conceded something like 27 in 12 games. and shipped another 4 at home.

Turbulent times ahead I fear :angry:

Something wholesale needs to change in the playing staff. Between Fonts, Carey and Skuse there's enough fuckups over the past 4+ seasons to fill a DVD. Aside these usual suspects we can't find a consistent back 4 to save our lives. Cisse may have been an FFFP victim but someone like him is sorely needed as we keep on finding mediocre (at best) people to patch the gaps. Marc Wilson and Richard Foster shouldn't be anywhere near the back four, Skuse has found an even bigger pile of dead weight in Jody Morris who has the electric combination of an abysmal first touch and a complete lack of attacking spine. Passing the ball to Uncle Albert is not working so we're regressing to lumping the ball. Yet again. The only bright spots are the attackers - Baldock is one of the most solid players we've tried since Maynard and Steven Davies - three goals from two games, and yet no points to show for it. Deadwood MUST go in January if we want to stay up. As much as he's the club favourite this has to be Louis' final year, and Liam hasn't had a fire up under his ass since the Burtons crack. FOUR FUCKING YEARS AGO.

We have Hull at home, on Sky, on Saturday when I'm in London and likely won't catch it. We might get a 2-2 from that. We might.

Ooh, and before I forget City's new website is FUCKING GASH.

A decent game last night at Oakwell - Palace came out all guns blazing from the first minute and killed us for twenty minutes. Our narrow diamond formation was shat on by their 5 man midfield and the left back Parr saw a lot of the ball leading to the goal. Its a good job that Zaha didn't play, or they could have been out of sight.

But King Keith saw this and quickly changed out system, making 2 subs in the first half and matching them with a 4-5-1 formation. Unluckily for us, the '1' was Marlon Harewood, who offers as much of an outlet as a post box. We finally got the equaliser after a fair bit of pressure late on with a decent goal from Perkins.

A fair result, and the 400 Palace fans want medals for coming to shitty Barnsley on a cold tuesday night.

• Paid Members

Agent Jewell's mission is complete.

Whoever comes in wil probably have a thankless task on their hands. If they have to keep resorting to loan signings then they'll absolutely go down. Loan signings overused like this is an absolute cancer, and the sooner Marcus Evans works this out the more chance they'll have of beating the drop. At least there's still 30+ games to put it right so they couldn't really have timed it any better. Get the next appointment right and they'll probably get over the hurdle.

But King Keith saw this and quickly changed out system, making 2 subs in the first half and matching them with a 4-5-1 formation. Unluckily for us, the '1' was Marlon Harewood, who offers as much of an outlet as a post box. We finally got the equaliser after a fair bit of pressure late on with a decent goal from Perkins.

I've been a big follower of Marlon's career since he left us and I never understand why people want him to lead the line. He's mentally incapable of playing as a target man. He's always been at his best as a second striker in a front two or playing on the right side of a front three. In the latter role, he did reasonably well for the Robins when he was on loan two seasons ago.

Archived