UFC 148: Silva vs. Sonnen II Thread

The Natural

Who wins and how?  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
It was also uite disrespectful giving Tito that interview, he should have left that for Joe Rogan, considering it was Tito's last fight.

Forgot to mention that. Yeah I didn't like it either to be honest.

Just watched the press conference and Tito wasn't happy about it either. He said because Rogan was there and interviewed him after his first UFC, he wanted to have his last post fight interview with him aswell. Forrest made that post fight bit all about himself with the running out the cage and then hijacking Tito's farewell.

Forrest to be fair was very apologetic at the presser. He said sorry a few times about it. But this is a pattern with him. He stormed out in tears after Jardine battered him, then ran off after Anderson embarrassed him and this one with Tito was the weirdest because the result hadn't even been read out yet.

I've always been kinda split in my opinion of Forrest. I really liked him for a while and he seemed like a genuinely good, if a bit odd, bloke all through TUF 1 and for a bit after. Just seemed to be living his dream and having fun. But I dunno, the last couple of years he just comes off as a right knobhead to me in most of his interviews and stuff. Like he's not as in love with it anymore so he seems to deliberately be awkward in a lot of media stuff. Getting all arsey and sarcastic for no reason and trying to be a smart arse all the time.

Interesting that Anderson greased himself up in full view and Goldy & Rogan didn't even have a go at him for it. Rogan basically just said, "Silva rubbed Vaseline on his arm so Yves Lavigne is towelling him off."

Yeah another thing I forgot about. Anderson's done that before aswell. Think he did it before the Leites fight and got away with it. Maybe one other one. Crafty but it still can't be denied the man is fucking amazing.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It was also uite disrespectful giving Tito that interview, he should have left that for Joe Rogan, considering it was Tito's last fight.

Forgot to mention that. Yeah I didn't like it either to be honest.

I mentioned in my post reviewing the show that I don't like when Griffin leaves the cage before the results are announced, fights he's lost. I forgot to mention his interview with Ortiz. I really didn't like it either. Looking at 'net opinion, that's the majority view.

Just watched the press conference and Tito wasn't happy about it either. He said because Rogan was there and interviewed him after his first UFC, he wanted to have his last post fight interview with him aswell. Forrest made that post fight bit all about himself with the running out the cage and then hijacking Tito's farewell.

Thanks for that up. I thought Tito wasn't happy with it. Don't blame him.

Forrest to be fair was very apologetic at the presser. He said sorry a few times about it. But this is a pattern with him. He stormed out in tears after Jardine battered him, then ran off after Anderson embarrassed him and this one with Tito was the weirdest because the result hadn't even been read out yet.

We're in agreement. Why did Griffin leave? I'm sure he walked out thinking he lost the decision.

• Paid Members

It was amazing how Sonnen would just stick to Silva. Anderson just could not get away it seemed. On the second he managed to tag Chael a couple of times. Causing that silly attempt at a spinning elbow/backfist. Once Sonnen slipped and got backed up against the cage it was done. Silve planted the knee in Sonnens chest and held him in place with it. Then just peppered Sonnen in the face. No escape and too long left in the round.

Quotes from Dana White, Tito Ortiz and Forrest Griffin:

"He drives me crazy, this guy," White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) at the post-event news conference. "It's like professional suicide, the things he does. People love Forrest Griffin. So I ran after him. I mean, do I really have to tell you guys what I said to him?"

White said he continued his conversation with Griffin, the first winner of "The Ultimate Fighter" and, like Ortiz, a former light heavyweight champion, before the news conference began.

"I met him back in the hall and I said, 'What are you doing? What's wrong with you? Are you mental?' And he said, 'I was really depressed.' And I said, 'The next time you're depressed about winning a fight, go in the back and be depressed.' It's Tito's last night, stand there, get your hand raised or Tito's hand raised, do your interview and if you're bummed out go do it in the back.

"And if you're bucking for Joe Rogan's (expletive) job, it ain't gonna happen. That's Joe's job. Leave the microphone alone until Joe comes over to talk to you. I love Forrest Griffin. I always have. He's a great guy. But he gets a little kooky sometimes."

Ortiz, who had announced his retirement weeks prior to the fight, and who had been inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame earlier in the day at the UFC Fan Expo, took exception to Griffin deciding to interview him.

"That was bull(expletive)," Ortiz said. "You've got to understand, 15 years ago Joe Rogan was the first person to interview me. I told him, 'I'm going to make a mark in this sport.' I helped build the sport that built me into the person I am today. For Forrest to step in and do the thing he did, after running?

• Paid Members

Wow, Chael had the perfect first round and it seemed we were in for a repeat performance. Silva is just incredible though, I also thought the knee was illegal at first and was happy to see it confirmed ok - the last thing we wanted was any controversy.

I think a few people will dislike the way they kind of embraced at the close, but I thought it was a nice end to it all. In his post fight interview, Anderson pretty much admitted Chael did a great job in promoting the fight and made them both a shed load of money. I can't see both men staying at Middleweight now. Did someone above say Rashad was calling out Anderson on Twitter? I'd love to see that.

I was really tempted to put on some bets last night and I'm kicking myself for not doing it, I had Griffin by decision and Silva via tko as well as Mendes and Le winning. I'd have cleaned up on an accumulator. I honeslty thought that Sonnen might have won the fight after that first round, just with the ease he took Silva down and if he could do that for 4 more rounds it would've been spectacular. When Silva kneed sonnen on the ground my heart was in my mouth, because if that was an illegal knee, it would've been a tainted win. I gave the fight to Griffin, but he really needs to stop running off like that after fights, he did say to tito that he thought he lost the fight though when he came back in.

If Chael wants a belt now it's either Welterweight or lightheavy now. Or go to strike force middleweight (but highly doubt that will happen).

Suga Rashard could defeat Anderson if he tried to wrestle. Hopefully at 185 Evans would be extremely faster, he just has to push the pace get in up and close dirty boxing and pin Anderson down for 5 rounds.

It was the same thing again in the main event, if you make one mistake against Silva you are basically done for. I couldn't believe Sonnen went for the punch that he did, but to fall flat on his ass as he missed and then have Silva land that devastating knee you knew at that moment if was a case of when and not if Silva would finish him off. Who can realistically be the next opponent, I take it were looking at a Bisping, Munoz or Wieldman next up for Silva. Personally, I hope he goes up to 205lbs and goes for Jones but I'm guessing that's highly unlikely to ever happen.

An altogether disappointing event I feel, with the main event being the only highlight.

I thought that too little was being made of the injuries Anderson had coming into the first fight, which no doubt affected his ability to defend takedowns and suchlike. Sonnen did well in the first frame, but once Anderson managed to stop a few of his takedowns you got the feeling that the time was coming, and then when he dropped his hands you knew that Chael was in big trouble.

2nd frame stoppage is how I saw the fight finishing, and I'm more than happy with that result & finish.

Apparently if Lombard wins at 149 he's the next in line for Silva, could be a big battle there. I think Bisping and Weidman would get murdered by Silva. Munoz would give a good fight, as would Belcher.

Theres so many title contenders at 185 its like the 155 division

• Paid Members

Good show, I thought. The undercard was a bit shit, but I thought Tito's fight and the main event were both fantastic due to the emotion and characters involved. The main event in particular was absolutely gripping, from the first takedown, to when Chael got mount, to the moment when he threw it all away with that ridiculous attempt at a spinning backfist. It's so infuriating that Chael has proven himself to have the best chance of anyone in the division of beating Anderson, yet always fucks it up by making a stupid mistake, which you simply can't do against Silva. The story of Chael's life, I suppose. Still, regardless of how good Anderson Silva is, that blatant greasing during introductions was fucking ridiculous. Watching it, and seeing how obvious it was on TV, I was going crazy when nobody there live was seemingly noticing or mentioning it, so thank fuck the ref stepped in and wiped him down. However, surely I'm not the only one who wanted to see a proper wipe-down after such an act, not the half-arsed attempt the referee did? Anderson would've won either way, but still, fucking hell.

Hopefully they'll now move Chael into the Rich Franklin position, as a guy who realistically can't challenge for a title anymore, but who can main event a pay per view or FOX show in marquee fights. He pretty much single-handedly reinvigorated the UFC this past month or so, injecting some much needed life back into it after the over-exposure, lack of new stars and bad match-making cooled it down considerably. He's genuinely close to the company's most marketable guy and it's such a shame he didn't win the belt and accordingly help the division and the company gain some much needed momentum. Imagine if he'd won and gone on to have a third fight with Anderson? That would've broken all records with ease. Instead we're probably looking at a fight between Anderson and someone like Munoz or Weidman. Still, we'll hopefully have Chael vs. Vitor, Wanderlei or Franklin by the end of the year. A rematch with Bisping wouldn't go amiss, either.

Forrest continues to reveal himself to be the biggest bell-end on Earth. Nothing new there. In saying that though, I didn't think his fight with Tito was even close. Exciting, sure, because it was Tito's retirement and I really wanted him to win, but in reality he didn't stand a chance. He may have gotten the takedowns and the knockdowns but for the other 90% of the fight Forrest was just too quick for him and made him look really fucking old. I'm interested in what they do with Forrest now. Maybe a fight with Rampage as a FOX main event or a semi-main event on a PPV?

Ultimately, I loved this show because it was the first time in ages where the UFC felt massive again. Sadly, I don't see any potential match-ups reaching this level again for quite some time. Diaz vs. GSP is probably their best shot, but I doubt there's much chance of us ever seeing that.

Archived