How often do you clean your house?

HeavyT

Was watching "Filth Files" today, ad some disgusting stuff on it, people living in total squalller, dog shit everywhere, limescale build up in th kettle (?!), evidence of skin built up over years, nictine not just staining, but thickly layering everything in the house.

I hoover my living room every day, wipe down the surfaces in the kitchen (one thing I admittedly bearly do is actualy mop my kitchen floor - i dont have a mop so I do it by hand with a floor wipe every now n again), change my sheets every few weeks, generally think of myself as having a decent level of cleanliness. One thing I dont understand, is how people can let there houses become so dirty? I used to barely clean at student halls, no one in my flat did, and it was dirty, but on the surface didnt look too bad.

Also, did anyone see that thing on E/More4 about a hoarder? he admitted to not bathing for years, was insane.

• Paid Members

Kitchen - after each meal I wipe surfaces, clean the hob twice a week. Mop kitchen, hall and bathroom floor every week.

Hoover living room 2-3 times a week.

Scrub bathroom fittings every 2 weeks.

Hoover upstairs every 2 weeks.

Change bedsheets every week.

Dust everywhere every week.

Clean skirting boards, doors etc every 2-3 months.

Kitchen - after each meal I wipe surfaces, clean the hob twice a week. Mop kitchen, hall and bathroom floor every week.

Hoover living room 2-3 times a week.

Scrub bathroom fittings every 2 weeks.

Hoover upstairs every 2 weeks.

Change bedsheets every week.

Dust everywhere every week.

Clean skirting boards, doors etc every 2-3 months.

Haha makes me and my bird seem a bit dirty :laugh: I do all the cleaning as Im unemployed at the moment, but I can tell you one thing, I have NEVER cleaned a skirting board in my life.

• Paid Members

My wife will tell you she does most of it! She's on maternity leave so it is pretty true.

Her mum and granny both have "housework Monday" where they blitz through the cleaning on a Monday morning. As my wife does pretty much what they do, we have days where she'll just do housework for hours as if the queen is coming to visit, does my tits right in as it's usually a Saturday and I'd rather play with my boy and watch football.

Funny this should pop up today, I've been doing a massive clear out/ clean up today and yesterday.

I live in the tiniest two-up two-down terraced place you can imagine, with a big hairy dog. In one sense, it's difficult to keep tidy and clean purely because I've got so much stuff in a small space and the dog obviously results in hair and slobber getting on everything. On the other hand though, because the place is so small, it never really takes a particularly long time to get it spick and span again. I tend to be pretty lazy sometimes and wait till it's a right old state before doing a proper hundred mph OCD clean up. I try to do the following though:

Living room I try to hoover every couple of days, otherwise the dog hair situation gets a bit grim. Seems futile sometimes as it's everywhere again almost immediately. Same goes for the kitchen floor, as if it's wet in the garden he treads mud through, so I mop that every couple of days. again, it's kinda like painting the forth bridge, as soon as it's done, it's a state and needs doing again.

I tend to do the last night's dishes and wipe the kitchen down while my coffee's brewing in the morning, the kitchen's so tiny it only takes a couple of minutes. If the girlfriend's about she sometimes does the dishes right after we eat but I tend to be chilled out by then and just leave it till the morning.

I'm less fastidious with upstairs. Bathroom is pretty easy to keep clean, so I just give it a spray and wipe over when it seems to need it. There's only me and occasionally the girlfriend using it. Bedroom, thanks to my slovenliness, Mrs Vance's ridiculous collection of clothes, some of which live at my house, and a lack of wardrobe space, tends to have piles of clothes fucking everywhere, and consequently rarely gets hoovered. Spent yesterday sorting that out. Reorganised wardrobes, got one of them canvas hanging things for T shirts, and donated a bunch of stuff to Mrs V's charity shop. This still left me with 70+ tshirts going back into the wardrobe, and thirty or so in the wash or on the line. Anyway, bedroom is now totally clear, just bed, weights bench and two bedside cabinets, gonna do my best to keep it that way and hoover every day or two now.

Spare room for a long time has been a dumping ground, sorted all that out too now. It's absolutely tiny, has bookcases on two sides, guitars and stuff against another wall, and the middle of the room is now clear. Thinking I'll get a computer desk.

Anyway, this has apparently turned into my interior design musings rather than the original topic. Generally, I try to keep things pretty clean, but I do sometimes let things go pretty badly. It's mostly a case of clutter everywhere. So many books and records and stuff stacked about the place that it makes it harder to hoover/clean around them. I've instituted a to-read shelf in the living room and moved everything else to the shelving in the spare room so it doesn't start to spread again. Also, I'm terrible at dusting. Even if everything's nicely hoovered and put away, I NEVER dust furniture so the TV stand and whatnot are always caked in dust.

Edit: That thing about skirting boards is very true. Especially if you've got a low-slung limo dog like mine.

Pretty much never. I'm channeling Mr Trebus.

YES! Someone else who remembers Mr Trebus, shame what happened to him.

I clean up pretty much every day. I hate dirt and I hate things being out of place. Having a dog on its last legs and a one of the cats malting due to an anxiety disorder doesn't help.

I virtually have to given my brother lives with me, despite the numerous argments/bollockings we've had, he's never going to change. His room is an ode to the Young Ones.

• Paid Members

Naturally I have a rota, adapted from http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/the-schedu...aning-in-131142. The theory is that 20 minutes a day, with one task in the house and one task in the kitchen keeps on top of things. It's a good way to avoid too much work building up, or never getting round to little jobs.

1. Surface clean living room and kitchen (tidy/dust/vacuum) Day 1. Wipe down the fronts of appliances, large and small.

2. Clean bathrooms (tidy/dust/sweep, wipe toilet/sink/mirror/bath/inside shower) + shower floor & outside glass

Day 2. Clean the inside and outside of your trash can.

3. Surface clean bedrooms (tidy/dust/vacuum) Day 3. Tidy cookbooks, aprons and towel and linen drawers.

4. Clean oven inside >>> Day 4. Clean oven inside

5. Surface clean living room and kitchen Day 5. Wipe down/clean baking containers (flour, sugar, cornstarch).

6. Clean bathrooms (tidy/dust/sweep, wipe toilet/sink/mirror/bath/ inside shower) + mop floor Day 6. Wipe down cabinet fronts

7. Clean all interior windows and sills/demould sills Day 7. Mop the floor.

8. Dust/Hoover stairs/landing/hallway Day 8. Wipe down the fronts of appliances, large and small including oven control panel

9. Surface clean bedrooms Day 9. Clean the inside of your utensil holders and top of refrigerator, washing machine etc.

10. Deep clean living room (skirting boards, door, dust artwork/back of TV) Day 10. Clean hoover cupboard and cupboard with oil fryer

11. Tidy clothes/shoes under stairs Day 11. Clean dishwasher (run cleaner cycle, wipe down seal)

12. Clean bathrooms (tidy/dust/sweep, wipe toilet/sink/mirror/bath/inside shower) + mop walls Day 12. Tidy/clean windowsill

13. Tidy rest of cupboard under stairs Day 13. Wipe underneath cabinets over oven/wipe heater

14. Deep clean bedrooms (organize drawers, check under bed, tidy closet, dust artwork, lights, top of bed) Day 14. Mop the floor.

15. Surface clean living room and kitchen Day 15. Wipe down the fronts of appliances, large and small.

16. Deep clean bathrooms (skirting board, radiator, bin, shower head/hose, shampoo holder, taps) Day 16. Clean one item you've been meaning to get to and haven't

17. Clean all door knobs, phones, entertainment equipment (remote controls), switch plates, banisters and other things that are repeatedly touched. Day 17. Clean cleaning items (clean the sponge, wash towels, etc.).

18. Dust/Hoover stairs/landing/hallway Day 18. Wipe down tiles.

19. Tidy car/tidy table by front door Day 19. Sort/clean food cupboards

20. Surface clean living room and kitchen Day 20. Wipe down cabinets

21. Clean bathrooms (tidy/dust/vacuum, wipe toilet/sink/mirror/bath/inside shower) + shower floor & outside doors Day 21. Mop the floor.

22. Surface clean bedrooms Day 22 Wipe down the fronts of appliances, large and small.

23. Clean out the refrigerator, wipe shelves Day 23. Organize pots, pans or other frequently used under cabinet drawer.

24. Clean linen closet, straighten towels, sheets or regular closet if not applicable Day 24. Scrub out sink and wipe down tap.

25. Surface clean living room and kitchen Day 25. Clean the inside of your microwave.

26. Deep clean kitchen (scrub appliances, wash trash cans, base boards, wipe down and straighten cabinets) Day 26. .Wipe down skirting board.

27. Clean bathrooms (tidy/dust/vacuum, wipe toilet/sink/mirror/bath/ inside shower) + mop floor Day 27. Clean out/tidy freezer

28. Surface clean bedrooms Day 28. Mop the floor.

29. Clean one item you've been meaning to get to and haven't Day 29. Wipe down the fronts of appliances, large and small.

30. Dust/Hoover stairs/landing/hallway Day 30. Rigorously clean hob plates

Pretty much never. I'm channeling Mr Trebus.

YES! Someone else who remembers Mr Trebus, shame what happened to him.

He died in 2002 according to Wiki, yes he has his own wiki page

Edmund Trebus

As for cleaning stuff, am always doing one thing or another

Fucking hell Lister. Really?

See, that was my first thought when I read that post. But then upon a second read, I realised that it would actually keep my house immaculate with a tiny amount of effort each day. I'm genuinely torn as to whether I should implement a similar plan myself.

• Paid Members
Naturally I have a rota, adapted from http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/the-schedu...aning-in-131142. The theory is that 20 minutes a day, with one task in the house and one task in the kitchen keeps on top of things. It's a good way to avoid too much work building up, or never getting round to little jobs.

1. Surface clean living room and kitchen (tidy/dust/vacuum) Day 1. Wipe down the fronts of appliances, large and small.

2. Clean bathrooms (tidy/dust/sweep, wipe toilet/sink/mirror/bath/inside shower) + shower floor & outside glass

Day 2. Clean the inside and outside of your trash can.

3. Surface clean bedrooms (tidy/dust/vacuum) Day 3. Tidy cookbooks, aprons and towel and linen drawers.

4. Clean oven inside >>> Day 4. Clean oven inside

5. Surface clean living room and kitchen Day 5. Wipe down/clean baking containers (flour, sugar, cornstarch).

6. Clean bathrooms (tidy/dust/sweep, wipe toilet/sink/mirror/bath/ inside shower) + mop floor Day 6. Wipe down cabinet fronts

7. Clean all interior windows and sills/demould sills Day 7. Mop the floor.

8. Dust/Hoover stairs/landing/hallway Day 8. Wipe down the fronts of appliances, large and small including oven control panel

9. Surface clean bedrooms Day 9. Clean the inside of your utensil holders and top of refrigerator, washing machine etc.

10. Deep clean living room (skirting boards, door, dust artwork/back of TV) Day 10. Clean hoover cupboard and cupboard with oil fryer

11. Tidy clothes/shoes under stairs Day 11. Clean dishwasher (run cleaner cycle, wipe down seal)

12. Clean bathrooms (tidy/dust/sweep, wipe toilet/sink/mirror/bath/inside shower) + mop walls Day 12. Tidy/clean windowsill

13. Tidy rest of cupboard under stairs Day 13. Wipe underneath cabinets over oven/wipe heater

14. Deep clean bedrooms (organize drawers, check under bed, tidy closet, dust artwork, lights, top of bed) Day 14. Mop the floor.

15. Surface clean living room and kitchen Day 15. Wipe down the fronts of appliances, large and small.

16. Deep clean bathrooms (skirting board, radiator, bin, shower head/hose, shampoo holder, taps) Day 16. Clean one item you've been meaning to get to and haven't

17. Clean all door knobs, phones, entertainment equipment (remote controls), switch plates, banisters and other things that are repeatedly touched. Day 17. Clean cleaning items (clean the sponge, wash towels, etc.).

18. Dust/Hoover stairs/landing/hallway Day 18. Wipe down tiles.

19. Tidy car/tidy table by front door Day 19. Sort/clean food cupboards

20. Surface clean living room and kitchen Day 20. Wipe down cabinets

21. Clean bathrooms (tidy/dust/vacuum, wipe toilet/sink/mirror/bath/inside shower) + shower floor & outside doors Day 21. Mop the floor. 21b - gotta watch Wapner.

22. Surface clean bedrooms Day 22 Wipe down the fronts of appliances, large and small.

23. Clean out the refrigerator, wipe shelves Day 23. Organize pots, pans or other frequently used under cabinet drawer.

24. Clean linen closet, straighten towels, sheets or regular closet if not applicable Day 24. Scrub out sink and wipe down tap.

25. Surface clean living room and kitchen Day 25. Clean the inside of your microwave.

26. Deep clean kitchen (scrub appliances, wash trash cans, base boards, wipe down and straighten cabinets) Day 26. .Wipe down skirting board.

27. Clean bathrooms (tidy/dust/vacuum, wipe toilet/sink/mirror/bath/ inside shower) + mop floor Day 27. Clean out/tidy freezer

28. Surface clean bedrooms Day 28. Mop the floor.

29. Clean one item you've been meaning to get to and haven't Day 29. Wipe down the fronts of appliances, large and small.

30. Dust/Hoover stairs/landing/hallway Day 30. Rigorously clean hob plates

I dread the thought of you missing one of these steps - I bet you go into a right k-hole.

Archived