The UKFF's 50 Favourite Films' Little Brother

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

=42) Blazing Saddles (1974)

What's a bit like? Good Western comedies are not that easy to find, really. Three Amigos is an obvious choice, as is the brilliant Laurel & Hardy film Way Out West. I always thought Maverick was absolutely terrific fun as well, actually, but in fairness none of these are much like Blazing Saddles - and I do think it is THE best comedy Western I've ever seen.

What about the people in it? Gene Wilder would mostly become known for his Richard Pryor collaborations and running a chocolate factory. The pickings were slimmer for the rest of the cast (think about it). The great Madeleine Kahn would struggle to find much to match her talents outside of her Mel Brooks appearances, but for me she was the best thing in Clue. Cleavon Little strangely regressed to a career of character acting and TV roles, although he's an integral part of Vanishing Point. Harvey Korman, a truly great comedian and comic actor, also struggled in its wake but was thrown a couple more bones by Brooks - although he did contribute to The Star Wars Holiday Special.

Has the director done owt else of note? Oh aye. Mel Brooks may have got steadily crapper as his career in direction closed with the terrible Dracula: Dead And Loving It, but The Producers, Young Frankenstein and this, as his three greatest achievements, mean that his place in comedy movie history is deservedly secure. Hitchcock spoof High Anxiety and Silent Movie are underrated and also very good, too.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

My favourite Laurel & Hardy is Our Relations. But I actually always preferred their short films as I think it suited their comedy more - in which case I would say The Music Box.

And here it is:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33FPuLo0zuQ

• Paid Members
Bah, I love Dracula: Dead And Loving it, and I don't care what anyone else thinks.

Good shout on Way Out West, that should be compulsory viewing. L&H's best?

Sons of The Desert is up there with Way Out west as their best but agree with Gladders that their shorts were far better. If you are a fan of their stuff check out the Eric Sykes and Tommy Cooper silent film The Plank (the original 1967 version)

Regarding the Zom-Rom-Com's, Zombieland is pretty good fun Dead Snow, also has elements of everthing and is decent enough considering it was shot on a zero budget. Braindead and Bad Taste, Bad Sheep may also be worth a shout.

As for Comedy Western's, I have to agree that Maverick, is bleeding fantastic. Also, there can never be enough Ned Nederlander, Dusty Bottom et al in this world. 'My Little Buttercup' indeed. Others to be considered/that I like would be:- Support Your Local Sheriff , Support Your Local Gunfighter, Back to The Future Part III, An American Tail: Fievel Goes West (Dom De Louise, steals the show), one with Terence Hill and Henry Fonda in who's name escapes me at the moment, My Name is Nobody?

Regarding Mel Brooks, I like Life Stinks, if only for the dancing in the shop doorway skit, Spaceballs (combing the desert, Ludicrous Speed and so on) and History of the World Part I ( Miracle, The Wonder Horse and the Spanish Inquisition music number), amongst those not already mentioned. It was really odd to hear Mel's voice appear in Jakers the kids TV programme as well.

• Paid Members

Spaceballs is awesome. I first saw it when I had to be kept awake for a whole night before having some tests done in hospital the next day under sleeping conditions. Can't have been long after it first came out.

My Mum was forced to watch it with me, to make sure I didn't fall asleep during the night, and she wasn't amused at all. I lost some respect for her that day.

But, she did buy it for me the following Christmas knowing how much I enjoyed it, so respect was returned.

The other 2 films she rented for me that night, were ET and Baby Boom. Didn't enjoy ET at all, Baby Boom was OK as a stand alone comedy comedy, but my opinion of it was likely due to Egon from my fav movie of all time Ghostbusters being in it.

It's been ages since I've watched a Mel Brooks film, Robin Hood: Men in Tights used to be my favourite when I was younger but I have no idea how well that's aged.

Airplane! and The Naked Gun films are the other spoof films worth watching, recent stuff like Scary/Date/Epic Movie has been pretty poor in comparison.

Also, as well as Kelly's Heroes being on again today at 4.05pm on ITV, The Big Lebowski is on Dave tonight at 9pm

Regarding the Zom-Rom-Com's, Zombieland is pretty good fun Dead Snow, also has elements of everthing and is decent enough considering it was shot on a zero budget. Braindead and Bad Taste, Bad Sheep may also be worth a shout.

Do you mean Black Sheep, the New Zealand evil sheep film, or is this one I haven't heard of? Genuine question. The rest of the films you've mentioned there are all riots.

Do you mean Black Sheep, the New Zealand evil sheep film, or is this one I haven't heard of? Genuine question. The rest of the films you've mentioned there are all riots.

Yeah I did, I some how combined Bad Taste with Black Sheep together. Black Sheep is good fun for what it is.

• Paid Members

41) Jaws (1975)

What's a bit like? I wanted to say Orca: The Killer Whale in all seriousness just in case someone was daft enough to fall for it and went and watched the piece of shit. I thought Jaws 2 was a very decent sequel, by all accounts. Although it's a lot more jokey, Lake Placid is a good port of call (crocodile, though) as is Deep Rising (sea monster). That said, almost all of the giant murderous sea thing films since Jaws are almost certainly influenced by it and similar to it.

What about the people in it? Roy Scheider had a stunning decade in the 70s, surrounding this with the likes of Klute, The French Connection, The Seven Ups, Marathon Man and the largely forgotten Last Embrace. It all fell away disastrously in the 80s, though. Richard Dreyfuss also had a great decade with American Graffiti, Close Encounters Of The Third Kind and the lovely The Goodbye Girl but, again, largely struggled once the decade closes except for occasional delights like Down And Out In Beverly Hills and the utterly excellent Stakeout. As for Robert Shaw, well, The Sting is, for me, his greatest performance just ahead of the brilliant The Taking Of Pelham 123. He was quite choosy about his roles, and you didn't often see him in shite.

Has the director done owt else of note? What, Spielberg? The odd thing here and there, but nothing to get too worked up about.

• Moderators
41) Jaws (1975)

What's a bit like? I wanted to say Orca: The Killer Whale in all seriousness just in case someone was daft enough to fall for it and went and watched the piece of shit. I thought Jaws 2 was a very decent sequel, by all accounts. Although it's a lot more jokey, Lake Placid is a good port of call (crocodile, though) as is Deep Rising (sea monster). That said, almost all of the giant murderous sea thing films since Jaws are almost certainly influenced by it and similar to it.

Duel is another good shot, even though there's a truck instead of a shark. Cracking debut from Spielberg, with a terrifically frazzled performance from Dennis Weaver. What's particularly great is

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

there's no 'why' - that shit just happens

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• 1 month later...

Archived