The UKFF's 50 Favourite Films' Little Brother

Devon Malcolm

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

=46) Alien

What's a bit like? Often imitated and arguably never bettered. That said, for another film about nasty things happening on a sinister spaceship, Event Horizon is almost certainly your best bet. I guess there are elements of The Quatermass Xperiment here as well, by way of films that may have influenced it to a certain extent, not to mention quite possibly the original The Thing From Another World and as such the remake, The Thing, should be checked out.

What about the people in it? We all know what Sigourney went on to do in terms of its franchise, but it's a shame that several of her largely unknown films now get no recognition. The mystery thriller Eyewitness and largely forgotten Roman Polanski drama Death And The Maiden are both great films and great performances. Oh, and there was the Ghostbusters stuff, too! As Butch will confirm, Yaphet Kotto was the best ever Bond villain in Live & Let Die but was also fabulous in Midnight Run. Harry Dean Stanton has been in too much great stuff to mention, same with Ian Holm, but Tom Skerritt went completely off the boil, surprisingly, after this and has rarely troubled a decent film since.

Has the director done owt else of note? One or two things! Ridley is of course (sort of) returning to this territory with Prometheus soon. That said, he's probably directed far too much shite in his career for a director of his ability who is capable of things like this and Blade Runner, but I'm baffled as to why the fantastic Black Rain isn't often regarded as one of his very best. Because it is.

• Paid Members

Heh, Contamination's a good call for a shit similar. You can see that one from here:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2iruVmewLA

Might as well chuck the astonishing Inseminoid in there as well:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zXlz20Hb0E

Terrible film though it is, amazingly, it has one of the very best Wikipedia write-ups for any film you will find. Seriously:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inseminoid

Even if you've never seen it or have no intention of doing so, give that a read, it's incredibly well written.

=46) Alien

What about the people in it? Tom Skerritt went completely off the boil, surprisingly, after this and has rarely troubled a decent film since.

He's in Top Gun though. :love:

Yep, like I was saying.

• Paid Members

Xtro is crappy, but it's definitely imaginative, so that's worth watching.

The Inseminoid page is great, and it shocked me to find that Shaw were involved. Also, any mention of Shaw reminds me that Sir Run Run... is still alive. And will be turning 105 in November.

I'd recommend Moon if you're a fan of Alien. Pretty much most of bonus features are made up of Duncan Jones going on about how much an influence Alien and Silent Running were on the film.

It's not as scary, but the theme of isolation is certainly something they both share. He also got a fair few people who designed sets and props for Alien to make stuff for the film - the whole look of the film is reminiscent of Alien and other 80s sci-fi thanks to cutting down on the CGI that features so much these days.

As Butch will confirm, Yaphet Kotto was the best ever Bond villain in Live & Let Die but was also fabulous in Midnight Run.

And a certain little series called Homicide, which is now largely ignored but is fucking brilliant.

As Butch will confirm, Yaphet Kotto was the best ever Bond villain in Live & Let Die but was also fabulous in Midnight Run.

And a certain little series called Homicide, which is now largely ignored but is fucking brilliant.

He was also in Across 110th Street, most famous for the Bobby Womack song, but also a pretty good film in it's own right.

• Paid Members

Does anyone want to do Bloodsport for tomorrow? My heart wouldn't be in it because if a Van Damme film should have been in the list, it should have been Hard Target or Universal Soldier.

Anyway:-

=44) Y Tu Mama Tambien

What's a bit like? It's a rude Spanish comedy-drama and there are plenty of those to choose from, even if none of them are quite like this. The Tit And The Moon is probably a good place to continue if you want something along those lines. If you want a nice comedy-drama road movie, albeit with less sex and more Daniel Stern, then the under-appreciated Coupe De Ville is worth digging out.

What about the people in it? All of the main three protagonists have had good progressions in their careers since this. Gael Garcia Bernal ended up as Che Guevara in The Motorcycle Diaries and will soon have the title role in Zorro Reborn. Diego Luna has also done well for himself as long as you focus less on Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights and more on stuff like the brilliant Open Range. Maribel Verdu has stuck almost exclusively to Spanish language films, though, but La Zona and Pan's Labyrinth are further excellent roles in her career.

Has the director done owt else of note? Alfonso Cuaron hasn't been massively busy since, but he's carved out a good career to date. There was some Harry Potter film in there somewhere, but he was also responsible for the excellent Children Of Men and upcoming Sandra Bullock/George Clooney sci-fi thriller Gravity sounds like it could be fun.

Does anyone want to do Bloodsport for tomorrow? My heart wouldn't be in it because if a Van Damme film should have been in the list, it should have been Hard Target or Universal Soldier.

Yeah, I'll give it a go.

Couple of years ago Gael Garcia Bernal and Diego Luna were both in Rudo y Cursi , where the two of them play brothers who become rival footballers. I've seen it in places like Poundland pretty often and its definitely worth a quid. It's probably as much about Mexican drug cartels as it is football if sports movies aren't your thing.

Archived