The UKFF's 50 Favourite Films' Little Brother

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

On the subject of =44) Y Tu Mama Tambien, there was one forign language film I vaguely remember from years ago that might have had the same feel to it, where two blokes are on the hunt for women. All I remember (and I hope its not me dreaming it up) is, either one or both of them were fresh out of jail, and one of them getting shot in the balls fairly early on.

Any of you that can get the name of the film from that description get a gold star.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Cheers, pat! Interesting you mention Street Fighter - 3 people nominated that in their favourites list, which was 3 more people than I would have expected for it.

Cheers, pat! Interesting you mention Street Fighter - 3 people nominated that in their favourites list, which was 3 more people than I would have expected for it.

I like Street Fighter, it's enjoyable enough, I'm not too hung up on the SF universe or whatever to get pissy with the liberties taken. Raul Julia owns that film and then some. Seriously cracking performance there, even if people dont rate the rest of the film.

Overall, it's seemingly a marmite, critic's and the majority hate it, whilst some genuinely love it to bits. I watched it at the cinema at the time, and will continue to do so, whenever it pops up on TV. Zangief, still cracks me up to this day.

• Paid Members

Street Fighter is basically "M.Bison - The Movie". If Raul Julia wasn't in it the entire thing would be beyond awful.

On one hand it's sad that SF was his last film before he died, but on the other hand he filmed the thing while suffering from Stomach Cancer and put in the best performance from anyone in the film.

• Paid Members

Street Fighter's great! Loved it as a kid, then when I got older and made a habit out of getting stoned and watching "bad" films with my mates we all loved it, ironically, and then at some point the irony turned into genuine love of the film, again.

It's easy to follow, got some decent action, some great comedy, and is quotable as fuck. I use the "quick, change the channel!" line daily. And no, I don't care how much of a cunt that makes me sound.

• Paid Members
Street Fighter's great! Loved it as a kid, then when I got older and made a habit out of getting stoned and watching "bad" films with my mates we all loved it, ironically, and then at some point the irony turned into genuine love of the film, again.

It's easy to follow, got some decent action, some great comedy, and is quotable as fuck. I use the "quick, change the channel!" line daily. And no, I don't care how much of a cunt that makes me sound.

"Guile, are you ok?"

"I'm half dead"

"and Bison?"

"........all dead."

• Paid Members

I like street fighter, it is never going to be the best film ever but its fun.

It has simple action and some laughs, a plot just strong enough to keep things together and and has some interesting characters. It knows what it is and play up to it all the way.

Raul does steal the film though.

oDr5B.png

• Paid Members

=42) Shaun Of The Dead (2004)

What's a bit like? Well, being the 'first' romzomcom or whatever they called it, it's probably not like a great deal, but for a romantic horror you would probably be best off going with the excellent 30 Days Of Night. No zombies in that, though, obviously but if you can't figure out from the title that you should be checking out Dawn Of The Dead (both versions - Zack Snyder's is quite good, shame he immediately went to shit) then seek help.

What about the people in it? Simon Pegg has gone on to do all kinds of stuff since, obviously, half of which I've already forgotten, which probably isn't a great sign as I do like him. I still don't think he's bettered TV series like Spaced and Big Train, to be honest with you. Same with Nick Frost, minus the latter, obviously. I've heard good things about Attack The Block, so you might want to look that up. Shame that the lovely Kate Ashfield and Lucy Davis haven't done much of particular note since, although I'm sure a career of 9pm ITV crime dramas is where they will eventually end up.

Has the director done owt else of note? Well, yeah. The aforementioned Spaced and the already listed Scott Pilgrim Versus The World. Not seen Hot Fuzz yet.

Wasn't the most inspirational one, was it? Tomorrow, though, Blazing Saddles!

If you enjoyed Shaun of the Dead, it might not be a bad idea to watch Hot Fuzz, which is about police officers in a quaint little English village with a twist, or Paul, a road trip movie about two geeks who go to Comic-Con and later end up discovering an alien. Both Pegg/Frost collaborations and both pretty funny too.

Archived