Raw discussion 16/1/12 thread *spoilers*

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

I would be so into the Punk/Lauinaitis angle if Punk was the heel. They finally managed to make Laurinaitis act like the dick he needs to be for a whole segment (EDIT: the one with Ryder, to clarify), but that was all. That was a babyface speech at the end. They're booking this shit arse-backwards.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotta admit, Cena was brilliant. The aggrieved-fiery-bastard Cena is the best of the lot, no cheesy 'comedy', no constant smiling - I just wish they'd use him like that more often as its a side of him you can actually get behind.

Loved the Punk/Ace bit at the end, both of them were great on the mic and progressed the storyline alot. Looking forward to that match at the Rumble alot more now.

Bryan's little promo about AJ was good too, he has seemed so much more comfortable on the mic in recent weeks. Loved the line: "AJ told me she loved me and I appreciate that". Bryan as a win at any cost heel has alot of potential.

And of course, Brodus Clay gets better and better. Just so much natural charm and brilliant to watch. A refreshing character.

• Moderators
That was a babyface speech at the end.

Yeah, I think a fair few people really sympathise with Johnny Ace in the angle. I know I do. He's just trying to do his job fairly because he wants it for keeps, and Punks like a little yapping annoying wanker dog who's made Ace snap. Punk's the heel to me. A unlikable dweeb, the kind of person you know who gets smacked whenever he goes out.

• Paid Members

It wasn't, he admitted he intends to screw Punk. So Punk has been right all along, Ace hates him and was pretending to be fair. The ambiguity worked but in the end, all those actions and decisions were exactly what Punk said they were.

In the words of Gary Barlow Raw was "Absolutely fantastic." There's a lot of interesting and intriguing stuff going on up and down the card and lots of people/stuff i'm really enjoying at the moment.

I'm a Foley fan so was good to see him on the show and the first segment was really good from all involved. A Foley vs Ziggler feud leading to Mania like Foley/Edge could push Ziggler up that extra notch. Tag title match was good fun while it lasted, dissaponted that Air Boom lost the titles, hope this isn't the end of another team.

Surprised when Ryder lost the title, albeit in fair enough circumstances considering the story. Assume he'll hang around the Cena storyline until the Rumble now. Speaking of which really enjoyed Cena "embracing the hate" and interested to what/if anything it leads to. Slightly hokey stuff aside i've really enjoyed Cena vs Kane and looking forward to their match, as it feels pretty fresh.

R-Truth was brilliant again, I hope they don't go too OTT with the talking to little jimmy etc because the balance is about right now as you can still buy him as a threat rather than total comedy. Some funny stuff here though and the whole segment/match was nice Rumble build. Funkasaurus was top stuff again, plenty of signs in the crowd for him too.

Whole main event bit was excellently done. Bryan's promo was good in that i've not quite turned to heel yet way, in that he was understanably angry but being a dick (the segment on Smackdown looked really well done too) From what i've seen i've enjoyed the Bryan/Show feud and it's another one that could go a few ways. Jericho stuff was again intriguing and I enjoyed it the most I have done so far, the look on his face going up the ramp was priceless.

The Punk promo after the match was very good indeed and him vs Ace is really starting to seem like a potentially great authority figure storyline. Hope it's done like Austin vs Vince in that it just keeps rolling rather than having/needing a blow-off. Obviousuly times change and that happening depends on a few things but the potential is there. I thought what Punk said was fine and understanable considering the build up to it, it had been coming.

Laurinaitis was tremendous throughout, during Punk's promo his twitches were great and then his 'releasing of frustration' moment was as good as Punk's. Interesting to see if Foley will play any more part in it. Lots of intrigue going into next week considering Punk and Johnny have now laid their cards on the table and are both as pissed off as each other and the fact that Laurinaitis admitted he was going to screw Punk. Top moment that hasn't been mentioned was John repeating his introduction after Punk's tirade, priceless. So yeah top show with lots of exciting and unusual storylines going on at the mo and the people in them are doing a fantastic job.

Oh and anyone missing Del Rio? I'm not.

• Paid Members

Raw was brilliant!

The only thing I hated was Perez Hilton and the subsequent Divas' match. Other than that, the entire episode was grand. The opening promo was brilliant, Ziggler is so good, and I enjoyed angry Cena. He looked like a right vicious bastard beating up Swagger.

On Swagger, haven't they cut the legs from his Gutwrench, really? Given that a taped-up Zack Ryder kicked out of two of them, how are we supposed to take it seriously?

The end match was quality. Jericho continues to be brilliant, and Bryan's slow (or not so slow) heel turn is great. The end rant by CM Punk, and then John Laurinitis' response was bloody fantastic, and I really enjoyed the entire show.

Much better than last weeks.

In the words of Gary Barlow Raw was "Absolutely fantastic."

*snipped the rest cos I don't want suspended like a tit*

Can't argue with any of that really, thought that was a great RAW.

Watching the replays of the Big Show incident before Bryan's promo it just reinforces how good a worker AJ is. Can you imagine a Bella taking that bump as convincingly? I hope they keep her prominent after this all pans out and she doesn't just fade back to NXT and the like.

I decided to chuck RAW before December, but then after the Jericho return, decided to see where it was going, and in the last two weeks, I feel pretty happy that I did so, because once again it was a terrific episode which didn't have much in the way of low points. Infact, the only thing I didn't like was Perez Hilton, even if he did make me chuckle with the sarcastic "thanks for the warm welcome". The divas weren't in there long enough to make me care either way.

I'm a Foley fan so was good to see him on the show and the first segment was really good from all involved. A Foley vs Ziggler feud leading to Mania like Foley/Edge could push Ziggler up that extra notch. Tag title match was good fun while it lasted, dissaponted that Air Boom lost the titles, hope this isn't the end of another team.

Laurinaitis was tremendous throughout, during Punk's promo his twitches were great and then his 'releasing of frustration' moment was as good as Punk's. Interesting to see if Foley will play any more part in it. Lots of intrigue going into next week considering Punk and Johnny have now laid their cards on the table and are both as pissed off as each other and the fact that Laurinaitis admitted he was going to screw Punk. Top moment that hasn't been mentioned was John repeating his introduction after Punk's tirade, priceless. So yeah top show with lots of exciting and unusual storylines going on at the mo and the people in them are doing a fantastic job.

I said the same thing last night to my housemate when we were watching Raw. I think I said it could be like Orton's feud with Foley to really help put Ziggler over and elevate him to that next level and put him over as a big player. I can't think for the life of me why I didn't mention Edge...maybe it's because I had been watching that Orton/Foley hardcore match a few hours earlier. They've definitely planted the seeds for that if they want to go with it at Wrestlemania. I imagine Foley would probably try and drop some weight if he is looking at a potential Mania match which would definitely help.

Laurinitis was fantastic again last night. He was slowly losing his mind while Punk stood there berating him. I like Punk, but I also really like Johnny Boy at the moment. I don't think I'll ever get tired of him telling us that he is the Executive Vice President of Talent Relations and the Interim General Manager of Monday Night Raw.

All in all though, that was a pretty good Raw. I really enjoyed watching it and it didn't feel like a chore staying up until 4am to watch it.

• Paid Members

It wasn't, he admitted he intends to screw Punk. So Punk has been right all along, Ace hates him and was pretending to be fair. The ambiguity worked but in the end, all those actions and decisions were exactly what Punk said they were.

Ace came clean and admitted he was going to screw Punk because Punk's been making his job impossible, not that he was going to screw him because he didn't like him. It was a babyface speech with one heel line. Plus, Punk, with all his "You were shit in the 80s and now you're jealous of me cos I'm great" stuff, is coming across like a proper twat. Yeah, fine, Laurinaitis intending to screw Punk is a heel move, but they've managed to dodge a bullet by not having the crowd turn on Punk for acting like such a knob week after week. Ace wanting to screw Punk because he feels like Punk bullies him doesn't justify Punk bullying him in the first place, and it's a bloody miracle that a decent chunk of the crowd are going with it.

Brilliant Raw.

Highlights

R-Truth Disneylland photos "I don't even know if thats PG".

Jericho, particularly liked the fact he was looking past people into the crowd as if there was someone special he wanted to say hello to.

Someone posted Hogans return in 2002 as Jerichos inspiration for his past appearances, when Hogan returned in 93 with Brutus in the Mega Maniacs, I remember reading in Powerslam that at house shows in tag matches with Brutus, Hogan was uninterested and would leave the apron to chat to fans. Which was what i was expecting from Jericho, But the walk off served the same purpose.

Seeing the photo of Jericho in the six man tag with the world and wwe title holders next to him. Can't help but suspect the first man to be the best in the world and unify the belts has returned to do the same again.

Even with how good Laurinaitis is and CM Punk humorously telling it how it is, Punk still comes off as a thoroughly detestable charachter to me.

Funkasaurus seeing a character like that after 2 years of Nexus and Corre creativity is refreshing. Plus he dances like Dusty Rhodes.

• Paid Members

Ace came clean and admitted he was going to screw Punk because Punk's been making his job impossible, not that he was going to screw him because he didn't like him. It was a babyface speech with one heel line. Plus, Punk, with all his "You were shit in the 80s and now you're jealous of me cos I'm great" stuff, is coming across like a proper twat. Yeah, fine, Laurinaitis intending to screw Punk is a heel move, but they've managed to dodge a bullet by not having the crowd turn on Punk for acting like such a knob week after week. Ace wanting to screw Punk because he feels like Punk bullies him doesn't justify Punk bullying him in the first place, and it's a bloody miracle that a decent chunk of the crowd are going with it.

There was never any danger of the crowd turning on Punk. Punk's done nothing wrong. Ace has been in the wrong all along. He was the one aligned with McMahon, he was the one pulling the strings to get Triple H fired and he's been the one antagonising Punk every week. They did a great job of always leaving a little bit of doubt but Punk has never been the heel in the feud.

His promo was absolutely brilliant. He didn't come across like a twat, he was very cool, like Steve Austin. As he should've been all along. People loved Punk when he was a knob, been all nicey doesn't suit him.

I notice Mr.Belding earlier on behind Lawler & Cole. He's put the weight on. Did anyone notice him try to shake hands with Jericho and Jericho blanked him.

Johnny's meltdown was good. Will be good to see were this goes.

Random thought, why can't Teddy Long put Mick Foley in the Royal Rumble, he's a GM too, as was proved yesterday when he made a match (that wasn't a tag match)

There was never any danger of the crowd turning on Punk. Punk's done nothing wrong. Ace has been in the wrong all along. He was the one aligned with McMahon, he was the one pulling the strings to get Triple H fired and he's been the one antagonising Punk every week. They did a great job of always leaving a little bit of doubt but Punk has never been the heel in the feud.

His promo was absolutely brilliant. He didn't come across like a twat, he was very cool, like Steve Austin. As he should've been all along. People loved Punk when he was a knob, been all nicey doesn't suit him.

Completely agree. Anyone bitching that "Punk is the heel" is just someone who (for whatever reason) has just decided they don't like Punk's character, and that's that! Steve Austin was a massive bastard to loads of people, didn't stop his character being Face, likewise with The Rock.

Ace has been playing the part of the smug, suck-up, backstabbing arsehole for months. Anyone who thinks he's a Face is watching a different show. He's been such a good prick, that it's entertaining, but that doesn't make his character a Face. The live crowds detest him and the response to both Punk and Ace last night was exactly what WWE are going for; big cheers for Punk, massive heat for Ace.

Archived