Raw discussion 16/1/12 thread *spoilers*

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

I'm liking Punk vs. Ace so far. It's no Austin vs. McMahon but so what. I feel that they have changed it up enough so that it feels fresh. Firstly because Ace is a pretty much new character and Punk is a new main event babyface, and while Austin/McMahon was really about Vince not wanting a beer drinking red neck as the Champion and face of his corporation this one is about how Ace, a guy who tried to make it as a wrestler and failed and has had to kiss ass and be shit upon by higher ups and slime his way to the top is jealous of a guy who made it to the top by being an individual, not kissing any ass and forcing his way into being a Champion. It's cool.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Punk's doing a good job. But, boy, he looks small next to Johnny Ace. He's physically looking up at him all the way through the promo. Just doesn't help.

One of the best episodes of RAW either and once again Johnny Ace has made the show better. I fucking love the guy and he's getting more character aswell. The only parts I can moan about is Swagger winning the US title, the crowd didn't boo or even cheer for it.. Ryder took 3 Gut-Wrench powerbombs to lose but Jericho took the 1 back in 2010 to be pinned for the WHC. I know it's a smarky comment but it fucked me off. Can't stand Swagger I find him the most dull person on the roster. Cena having a shit beatdown with Swagger was shit aswell. Kane's pyro not going off in time made me laugh. Perez Hilton was really funny for being so camp.

• Paid Members
I think Punk's doing a good job. But, boy, he looks small next to Johnny Ace. He's physically looking up at him all the way through the promo. Just doesn't help.

If Johnny Ace looked smaller though, wouldn't that make Punk look shitter for sounding-off on a little man rather than the looking up at authority angle?

It reminded me of some unruly kid caught smoking behind the toolshed and refusing to join in the lesson with a hardnosed PE teacher. I think it's the voice which makes me think of Johnny in that way. Maybe next week Johnny should make Punk do laps round the ring for the whole show.

• Paid Members

Raw's rating this week was a 3.0, with no Football as its competition, and the second hour again lost viewers. I think the shits about the hit the fan, soon. They are never this low going into a Royal Rumble. Weirdly enough, apart from Punk, Jericho's the one drawing the lowest quarter hours. Even though he's been mightly hilarious, Jericho's been a bit of a flop since he's came back.

Not to worry, our saviour is set to return in a few weeks:

mcmahon-vince.jpg

Why would Jericho keep/draw viewers? It's warmed to me, but I don't see the appeal it'd have with the casuals. They were clever and put him in the main event so people still saw him (as the audience are educated to believe something will happen in or after the main event), yet not in a segment solely by himself where otherwise they might switch off.

Comes as absolutely no surprise to me if people are turning off in his segment though.

• Paid Members

Because it shows who the people dont want to see. And if those quarter hours are down, it gives a good idea of the kind of programming your will get in the coming months, because being a public company, the stockholders start asking questions and the people in charge 9 times out of 10 react. If this was 1994, quarter hours wouldn't matter. It doesnt affect my enjoyment of a show, obviously, but its worth mentioning because these things are important to the top brass in WWE.

So do you reckon we're in for a big revamp? I think that the WWE Network will be coming at just the right time. I don't think there'll be a major revamp in the format of the show, just more emphasis on the network over PPV. If it's unsuccessful, it'll be a massive blow to WWE though. They took out a $200M loan for it, didn't they? They seem to be going about it the right way though. I think it'll be ok.

• Paid Members
I don't understand why people really care that much about "quarter hour" ratings to be honest.

Completely agree. They should forget about it and focus on the fact that if they put on shows this good every week, things will start to turn around. Short-sightedness and constantly chopping and changing over the past 8 or 9 years has helped them into the hole they're in. The only way out of it is tight, consistent, compelling TV.

Jericho's never been a ratings effecting performer ever. Again though, they need to run with it. Judge the ratings when you've told the story, not this early in it.

Jericho's never been a ratings effecting performer ever. Again though, they need to run with it. Judge the ratings when you've told the story, not this early in it.

Bang on. I think quarter hours are an interesting read, but more than three weeks are needed to make decisions using them. Nobody would quibble that WWF's main event scene in 1997 wasn't absolutely shit hot, but they were still pounded in the ratings in every single measurable way, quarter hours and full show. It took a year and a half of faith in what they were doing (and the tiniest growth, I'd wager) to get the payoff they wanted. And even in 1998, the ratings were still swinging back and forth for a bit. Cena's numbers always seem to be good, partly because he's ace but almost definitely because he's a character the fans have got a long relationship with. I think Punk's are very damning now, considering the effort they put into him last year, but it would be unfair to saddle Jericho as a failure yet. I don't like the little cunt, but I'm curious to see where the act is going and hope they don't panic with it.

After another couple of months of hopefully the same as what we're seeing at the moment, I'd love to see how people are taking to Brodus.

Yeah but isn't the point that as a private company in 95/6 WWE didn't have to explain anything to anyone. But with the pressure of shareholders questions they have to come up with answers to everything. Shareholders look at the money not at the quality of TV product overall.

Archived