Raw discussion 16/1/12 thread *spoilers*

IANdrewDiceClay

It never came across that way. It came across like he's fed up of Punk's moaning and he's snapped.

It didn't. It might've if he'd snapped at Punk. But he was a total pussy until Punk walked off and then he had a go at Foley. And took a cheap shot at him. Because he's a fanny. He's been a kiss-arse and a fanny since the day he showed up. How anyone could've missed that, I've no idea.

Nobody has missed him being either of those things, but it was your imagination that he admitted to THE CONSPIRACY~

His dialogue was all about how he's gotten sick of being picked on. Came across like he's fed up of Punk's moaning and bullying and he snapped (at Foley, because he's a coward).

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It never came across that way. It came across like he's fed up of Punk's moaning and he's snapped.

It didn't. It might've if he'd snapped at Punk. But he was a total pussy until Punk walked off and then he had a go at Foley. And took a cheap shot at him. Because he's a fanny. He's been a kiss-arse and a fanny since the day he showed up. How anyone could've missed that, I've no idea.

And the crowd were completely behind Punk. I do think he can do things to get him over more as a face - his hair makes him look like a slimy bastard for a start. He does a lot of references to films that go over a lot of people's heads but earn him brownie points with people in the know. I can understand that some people don't like him but I think that's part of the nature of his character. He's not a big guy, he's not the same as a lot of main eventers that have come before him (not that he's THAT radical) and he's more 'alternative' so I wouldn't expect everyone to get behind him. And there is the reason why he likely won't be drawing everyone in. I weren't into Batista until the end heel run, but a load of casuals would look at the screen and think 'fucking hell'. Punk doesn't have that. My idea, like WWE's, would be to have him as the guy to bring the 'alternative' and perhaps more sophisticated crowd in, and have another hot face like Cena bring in the others. They tried it though and it didn't work as well as they'd hoped.

But if they book Punk better, I think it could still work. WWE seem to be persevering with him for the time being too. His booking post-MITB was frustrating. Triple H was booked to be the most sympathetic guy on the roster and the most over face. It was baffling. The match with him at NOC, the feud with Nash and this Del Rio shit has made him lose momentum. It was all over the place. If they can get back to keeping it simple and cutting out needless insider references like the ones about Eddie being a vanilla midget, there's still money to be squeezed from him.

Nobody has missed him being either of those things, but it was your imagination that he admitted to THE CONSPIRACY~

His dialogue was all about how he's gotten sick of being picked on. Came across like he's fed up of Punk's moaning and bullying and he snapped (at Foley, because he's a coward).

He said he was going to screw Punk. In weeks before, he'd been 'accidentally' causing Punk to lose.

• Paid Members

What came across was his utter frustration that everything Punk said was true. So he admitted that Punk was right all along. He hates Punk because he was a mediocre pro-wrestler and Punk is the best in the world and is living the dream. It's obvious.

What came across was his utter frustration that everything Punk said was true. So he admitted that Punk was right all along. He hates Punk because he was a mediocre pro-wrestler and Punk is the best in the world and is living the dream. It's obvious.

It'd be good to toy with Lauranitis showing his bitter side a bit more in the run up to Mania.

Did feel it was strange for Laurnaitis to use the bullying word, especially with the campaign WWE have been promoting lately. Can't remember Mcmahon using that word about Austin so not to evoke sympathy for his charachter.

Yeah i know. but its made worse when one minut e we've got HHH and co. talking about ending bullying. And then John Laurinaitis saying hes being bullied and we are supposed to cheer while Punk belittles his accomplishments.

I notice Mr.Belding earlier on behind Lawler & Cole. He's put the weight on. Did anyone notice him try to shake hands with Jericho and Jericho blanked him.

I think Jericho kinda waved but couldn't reach him. MCR were sat next to Belding too if I'm right.

Great Raw though I called what Jericho would do when he was announced for the tag match.

Yeah i know. but its made worse when one minut e we've got HHH and co. talking about ending bullying. And then John Laurinaitis saying hes being bullied and we are supposed to cheer while Punk belittles his accomplishments.

So because a heel says hes being bullied means hes being bullied?

I really enjoyed the show, Punks final promo was excellent, perfect intensity and delivery and it was only topped by Laurinitis' reaction to it, stellar performances from both men.

• Paid Members

The big problem I'm finding with the Punk / Johnny Ace storyline is that it's really just another rebellious babyface vs heel authority figure angle, so it is always going to draw comparisons with the most famous and successful angle of that type- Austin vs Mr McMahon. However, CM Punk isn't even close to being as likeable or as rebellious as Steve Austin and Laurinaitis is nowhere near as dastardly as Vince was. Consequently, the whole thing just feels piss weak to me. It's probably the least interesting storyline on either Raw or SmackDown for me right now.

• Paid Members

This feud has a different feel to it than the Austin - McMahon feud, there was a sense of one-upmanship between those two characters which is why it was a bit more "entertaining" than the Punk - Laurinaitis feud has going, this ones a bit more sinister and slower burning so I feel it's a bit unfair to compare. The feeling I've been getting from the storyline is that Punk is an indie wrestler that has worked his way through the ranks by being the "best in the world", Laurinaitis is an executive VP of the company who wants the belt on someone a bit more mainstream, moulded and bland. Punk's fighting every week to stop the management from taking his belt, how can people not see the face and heel in all this?

People sympathising with Johnny Ace's character because he snapped and said he was being bullied? Do those same people sympathise with Daniel Bryan because Big Show "intentionally" ran over AJ?

Archived