Raw discussion 16/1/12 thread *spoilers*

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really enjoyed that, the seemed to get the balance between good wrestling, interesting promos and light hearted fun right last night. Going by how excellent Raw and Smackdown have both been recently, this is the best the company has been as a whole in a while. I just cant wait until the Rumble, Wrestlemania season is in the air already. I would really like to see Mick Foley lose some weight and put over Dolph Ziggler at Wrestlemania, that would be great. He just needs to lose Guerrero though.

I really want the whole Teddy Long thing that's going around online to catch on with a wider audience, so people can shout IN A TAG TEAM MATCH! one week, and it'll make him piss his pants. Though they would've looked stupid this week obviously..

I have to say it's quite refreshing to have a Raw I loved and see the majority in agreement. That's quite rare!

• Paid Members

Anyone claiming Johnny is the face in this feud clearly hasn't been watching Raw and certainly not last nights. An hour before CM Punk cut that promo, Johnny Ace screwed Zack Ryder out of the US Championship, yes it's not linked to his feud with Punk but it adds to the corrupt authority figure that Punk is going on about. By his own admission last night, he's going to screw Punk at the Rumble which shows that all these "oops didn't mean it" interferences in his matches thus far have been intentional. Naturally Punk is pissed off that his boss is trying sabotage his title reign so hits out with a fiered-up, i'll kick your head in if you screw me at the Rumble. The parts are being played excellently by both men, classic face vs authority storyline, Punk just being a bit more anti-pg about it which suits his character perfectly.

Cena was good last night but I know this storyline is going to disappoint everyone. There's no way he'll "embrace the hate", he'll be in a match, tempted to do something heelish then bounce back and be kids hero Cena. Too predictable.

Zack Ryder is boring and awkward to watch on Raw, put him in a tag-team or something where his mic time is limited.

Yeah, saying Punk is the heel is pretty silly. Just because it's not in your face, doesn't mean Lauranaitis hasn't come across as a heel. And by making it a bit subtler, they've managed to build it to the crescendo they have a good half a year since he appeared on our TVs. This slow building is what is needed and what they're going for. People would complain if Johnny (I still can't spell his last name) was being an overt dick to everyone and Punk was just sat on his hands until Mania or they did the pay-off too soon. They've got it spot on. Punk reckons he had Johnny all sussed out, it's more beneficial to Johnny if he can be sweet with Punk whilst sneakily costing him - especially as Punk is prone to dropping these 'pipeboms' (glad he's dropped that phrase) and causing a headache for management.

I'm not saying that the story line doesn't portray Johnny as the heel and punk as the face. But Punk as face is unlikeable and a wrestler is always at his best when being himself. When Punk came up with his own gimmick on the indies he was Straight Edage and "better than you" when he speaks it seems apparent that this original charachter took alot of his personality traits, a natural heel. Where Rock, Austin and Cena come across as men of the people, CM Punk comes across as someone who thinks he is better than the people making him a heel.

I really want the whole Teddy Long thing that's going around online to catch on with a wider audience, so people can shout IN A TAG TEAM MATCH! one week, and it'll make him piss his pants. Though they would've looked stupid this week obviously..

What's the story here then? not heard of this.

I'm not saying that the story line doesn't portray Johnny as the heel and punk as the face. But Punk as face is unlikeable and a wrestler is always at his best when being himself. When Punk came up with his own gimmick on the indies he was Straight Edage and "better than you" when he speaks it seems apparent that this original charachter took alot of his personality traits, a natural heel. Where Rock, Austin and Cena come across as men of the people, CM Punk comes across as someone who thinks he is better than the people making him a heel.

I think he's done a good job as a face, but I think he's a great heel too. I'd be tempted to say I prefer him as a heel when given the ball to run with it. But that promo was a 'turn the volume up and sit up' moment. I rarely get that incentive to hang on someone's every word like that, and I felt myself rooting for Punk and looking forward to him decking Lauranitis. The Rock was arrogant too. But this is probably one of the reasons Punk isn't doing so well at drawing people in as some people are saying they find him a bit of a dick and some saying they like him. He needs to have more of a universal appeal. He has all the tools (apart from a bit of a shit finish); they just need to book him right. Last night, I felt they were doing that.

EDIT: And jeez, looking at my signature has reminded me of the arrogant image that's portrayed in music that has people clamouring to buy records (I say portrating an arrogant image - I'm sure a load of them, like Kanye, are arrogant). I don't think a little confidence and arrogance hurts.

What's the story here then? not heard of this.

Seems like a reference to some meme about how Teddy Long's always interrupting brawls to make tag team matches. It's Lazy Smackdown Booking 101.

How do you solve a problem like Ryder? He's just TOO cheesy. How would you make him funnier, like on Z!LIS, on Raw?

Horrendous school play overacting doesn't look as bad in webvideo skits as it does on Raw. I don't know that Ryder can get around it.

That was a babyface speech at the end.

It wasn't, he admitted he intends to screw Punk. So Punk has been right all along, Ace hates him and was pretending to be fair. The ambiguity worked but in the end, all those actions and decisions were exactly what Punk said they were.

It never came across that way. It came across like he's fed up of Punk's moaning and he's snapped.

• Paid Members
It never came across that way. It came across like he's fed up of Punk's moaning and he's snapped.

It didn't. It might've if he'd snapped at Punk. But he was a total pussy until Punk walked off and then he had a go at Foley. And took a cheap shot at him. Because he's a fanny. He's been a kiss-arse and a fanny since the day he showed up. How anyone could've missed that, I've no idea.

I think the WWE are being a bit more grown up about it all. There is no clear cut good guy and bad guy in this feud, both men have their faults, both have valid points to make. For you to come to the conclusion that John Laurinitis is the quote unquote "bad guy", you need to really pay attention to what is going on, what is being said and how it is being said.

Archived