Raw discussion 16/1/12 thread *spoilers*

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The whole final segment, including the main event match, was superb. From Jericho entering "Asian tourist" mode during his entrance, to his walkout, the Henry/Bryan brawl and Foley's illegal insertion (lolol) into the match- all the calamity reminded me of why I used to be such a huge fan, unadulterated madness. Then Punk delivered a fiery promo which finally made the Ace feud seem serious and personal, and Big Johnny's subsequent meltdown was the best acting and emotion he's displayed yet on screen.

The entire show was on point, actually. It probably helped that I watched the show live- finally got a decent Internet connection yesterday and streamed Raw. Starting with Foley in the opening segment was a welcome surprise, and bringing Ziggler and Punk into it made all 3 seem like big stars. Ziggler was especially impressive on the mic. Old Mickles in the Rumble is something I called when he first came back, going to be interesting to see how he does it now. I'm still hoping they work towards a heel Punk vs. Foley match at WM, I called it in a predictions thread a while back, far more appealing than Punk vs. Ace, only because Punk deserves better at WM. Blow off Punk vs. Ace at Elimination Chamber.

Disappointed that Ryder dropped the title, but he had an obvious out, and now WWE can hit the reset button on Ryder's chase if they choose- it was too rushed in the first place.

Best Raw I've seen in a long, long time. Top marks, WWE.

Really enjoyed Raw last night. I thought the opening and closing segments were really well done, Ziggler spoke well going at it with Foley and Punk produced his best promo for a very long time at the end of the show. I liked how Foley was used and I must say he looked really well, the best I've seen him in god knows how long.

I like how the Cena/Kane interaction was kept short but moved the storyline along. I'm still very interested to see where they go with this and how it impacts Cena and his role/character going into Mania.

Bryan seems to be growing in confidence with each show, hope they continue his push and turn, its been near perfection so far.

Love Jericho.

• Paid Members

Ian was right last week, a cliffhanger ending will make you watch next week. For the opening 3 quarters of the show, I wasn't massively into it but the end was cracking. Opening seg was decent, though they had Ziggler doing the forced comedy that never ever works. The flaw in having a heel PBP guy showed in the first minute. Mick Foley is announced and Michael Cole (the heel) says "Ugh". Then he realises he's supposed to sell this stuff and says "What a way to kick off Raw, Hardcore Legend Mick Foley heading to the ring, blah, blah". Vickie's laugh in Foley's face was good. Liked Ziggler's line about Punk and Foley shopping at the same place. The homeless guy on the street.

Big Brodus was ace again. My 7 year old daughter absolutely loved it. She normally whines about wrestling been on and keeps asking whn it's gonna be finished. After the Brodus segment, she decided wrestling is quite good and she wants to watch it more. She also commented beforehand "There's no way JTG can take down the Funkasaurus" which was adorable and perceptive. Thought the Cena stuff worked well too. He was well heeled up with Kane taking credit and Zack Ryder now has a reason to chase Swagger. The pre-match promo from Ryder showed why the character doesn't catch on. On his youtube vids, he's himself and he's ace. On the telly, he's just another terrible actor.

I come up with a Gepetto character yesterday and then Pinocchio is on Raw. Bastards have been reading the UKFF again. Just in case: Fire Cole.

Final segment was tremendous. CM Punk's promo was absolutely brilliant. The best for ages. There isn't a better promo guy around right now. Johnny Ace sold it beautifully. Him taking it out on Foley was obvious but really well done. I actually thought he was going to put Foley in a match with someone next week but no, Johnny got physical. No idea where this goes next. Johnny's no longer ambiguous and Foley's hell bent on revenge. Tune in next week!

Raw was ACE this week. Big Johnny going all Michael Douglas in Falling Down at the end was just the best.

Really, the only lame duck segment was the apparently mandatory pointless diva tag match with Perez 'back end of a bus' Hilton.

I loved this RAW. A fantastic way for Jericho to carry on his mystery, a fantastic end of show promo by Punk and Ace, a fantastic opening promo by Ziggler, Cena finally going a little crazy and some people may disagree with me but i love Swagger getting the US title. I was loving Ryder up until the point he won it, then he has just been boring. I hope they get rid of Eve cause she adds nothing to anything. Ryder has sunk a bit in my view.

Edit: I also want to add that i hate Otunga. He even does his gimmick wrong, why isn't he wrestling in his lawer outfit with the bowtie. He needs to be more like IRS was.

Great Raw, very enjoyable stuff. CM Punk really didn't come across great here, in my opinion. Logically, John Lauranitis did the right thing, Mick Foley just randomly walked down to the ring without permission and inserted himself into a match, sticking a sock down the throat of Otunga. How is that NOT a disqualification? Then CM Punk launches into a horrible, nasty rant against Lauranitis, someone who hasn't really up to now done anything to warrant such a undignified verbal assault. The attack on Foley at the end was fantastically well done by Big Johnny though, he's getting better every week.

Jericho was absoloutely superb, laughed my head off at that.

I'm sure it's merely a coincidence that whenever CM Punk main events a show, it's a match cram packed with other popular superstars. Whilst when he is wrestling in a singles match, it's placed in the middle of the show, even when the WWE CHAMPIONSHIP is on the line!

Brodus Clay's superb gimmick will hopefully lead to Triple H's idea of everyone having some unique gimmick implimented. We don't want bland ROH type wrestlers on Raw.

Superb Show. Loved it, hope next weeks pre Rumble Raw can live up to this.

I felt a bit like Michale Cole when Foley came out, thought "ugh" but then Ziggler and Punk came out and we got great stuff. Brodus is fun, sure this will continue for a bit then we'll see him in longer matches and feuds. Loved the Sheamus/Miz/R-Truth/Barrett interaction. "I don't know if thats even PG" line was a cracker. Chris Jericho was amazing, I just can't see where this is going and I love it! CM Punk works way better as fiery Punk rather than whiny, snarky Punk.

Daniel Bryan continues to shine, he seems so much more confident and assured on the mic it really shows. John Cena was also superb I must say, last 2 weeks I've hated him, but him embracing the hate as they say may be good, a fired up angry John Cena made great TV on this show. I don't mind Swagger, talented in the ring, but surely its time for a slight re-invention of himself just to make him a little different, he's just so...meh. But hopefully this US Title reign an give him some purpose.

John Larinitus, Executive Vice President of Talent Relations and Interim General Manager of Raw needs to lace up the boots again.

Archived