The UKFF's 50 Favourite Films 2012 - The Results!

Devon Malcolm

Interestingly (to me) I was having dinner this evening with a friend of mine who's a well-respected art director in film, and he said that

a) Blade Runner has aged quite badly in terms of the futuristic stuff, and

b) he actually prefers the original, narrated version.

Obviously, he's wrong on both counts but I refrained from kicking him in the cunt because I kind of want a job with him at some point.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members

I think you should probably have done it, anyway.

Blade Runner just missed out on my top 10. If I'd have watched it recently, it probably would have made it. I loved both versions, to be honest, I think the narrated version appeals to me as a film noir lover.

Before we go further, as I haven't commented in a bit:

1: Jesse James is a work of art and I really do feel sorry for those it is lost on. Are there still people out there who don't rate Brad Pitt?

2: Who else would love to see the Flaming June edit of The Godfather Part II? Presumably one where Michael Corleone goes on a drug and sex binge before realising that we are all one great big consciousness and unites all the crime families in the world at the world's first Italian rave.

3: Ah, Blade Runner. Hello there beautiful. Just an incredible work and the only film where Harrison Ford drops the movie star shit and actually turns in a world class performance. It helps that he had no idea what was going on and Deckard is supposed to be similarly confused.

Blade Runner is a masterpiece. Whether you're looking at from a technical standpoint, an aesthetic standpoint, an acting standpoint, a storytelling standpoint or whatever, it's simply a masterpiece.

And the 'Final Cut' is the best cut, obviously.

• Paid Members

If I voted, Blade Runner would probably have been my number one. I've watched it so many times (although not for a few years now) but it never loses its magic and mystique. The dark/brooding/crawling synthesizers set to that imagery is as close to perfect as you can get. It's a feast for the senses, definitely.

Even with all that, you still have a a fantastic story to get through. I agree with Seven that it's Ford finally showing he's more than just a name.

Definitely worthy of the top ten.

• Paid Members
never seen Blade Runner (i know. i plan to rectify this as soon as i can)

How come there has been so many different cuts of the film?

The studio asked for some changes after Ridley Scott submitted his original film and it tested badly, most notoriously the voiceover and the ending. The original (workprint) cut started doing the rounds at film conventions in the early/mid 90s and got a lot of positive response and led to the film gaining the cult status it has now. The 'Directors Cut' was taken from this version (and slightly modified) and was based on notes from Scott but not directly done by him. The Final Cut was done by Scott himself. There's also various TV and international edits of the film floating around.

The film itself is amazing. If anyone is in to film making check out the book Future Noir. Used to be very hard to get hold of but has had a few reprints in the last 10 years. A lot of the stuff has been covered in recent making ofs but its still one of the best books about film making you can get.

• Paid Members
So the consensus is that we should watch the Final Cut when we eventually get around to watching it, then..?

Its like the argument for the Aliens / Aliens Special Edition. There's no right or wrong version. There are still people that prefer the original cut and the voiceover. But yeah The Final Cut Print looks amazing, has been cleaned up and is a great film to watch on its own merit

Random fact about the 'Happy Ending' from the original studio edit. SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Its an outtake from the opening of The Shining

• Paid Members

Blade Runner is just magnificent.

However if you haven't seen it, don't download it and watch it on your laptop. Buy the Final Cut on Blu-Ray and watch it in a dark room on a big fuckin' telly.

Visually it's probably the most awe-inspiring movie ever made, with the special effects still better than almost every other film made to this day. It's a perfect film. What I find so fascinating in it is Roy Batty is the bad guy, except he's not really bad. He is just desperate to stay alive. He may be a machine, but he shows more emotion, appreciation of life and love than alot of the human characters.

I never really got into the whole "Deckard is a replicant" theory, personally I think if he is supposed to be (like Ridley has claimed) I don't think it adds to the story in any way. Deckard to me is just a broken miserable depressed shell of a man and through Racheal starts to find his humanity, him actually being a replicant makes little sense to me.

Also a final mention of one of my favorite scenes ever, when Roy meets his maker. Two of my favorite lines in film:

"I need more life, father."

and...

"I've done questionable things....Nothing the God of Biomechanics won't let me into heaven for."