There's no bastards left in WWE :(

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

I was watching Matt Cappotelli get the shit kicked out of him by Bob Holly earlier on, and just thought how all of WWE's so called 'bullies' are gone from WWE. I remember a promo by Scott Steiner where he ripped the piss out of the young wrestlers for having no leaders anymore and he might have a point (actually I think his exact words were "you get on the internet to see if you have a 5 star match - why do you care what these marks think. Ask us, we'll tell you that you SUCK!").There's no Undertaker anymore, Triple H isnt on the road anymore either, Bob Holly's gone, there's no JBL, no Bubba Ray Dudley, no Chris Benoit, no Eddie Guerrero. The stories of someone disrespecting Shawn Michaels, so the leaders in the dressing room sort the trouble makers out seems like a distant memory now. And if you ever watch interviews with wrestlers they usually bring up how the likes of JBL, Holly and Benoit's nutcase like personalities was helpful in their development.

The marks seem to be the wrestlers these days. For example, the Young Bucks turned up in WWE a few months ago and rubbed all the veterans up the wrong way. And not just in WWE. They pissed off Booker T and Goldust, TNA's Rob Van Dam spoke out against them and even Lance Storm who was just visiting called them dickheads as well. The current roster has no respect for the Rock either when he shows up. Steve Austin on Tough Enough regularly bought up how the attitude's these days make him sick. M-Dogg 20 felt the brunt of it. The culture in wrestling seems to have completely changed now. Anyone think this is a bad thing? I'm not asking for people being bummed in the showers, but there seems to be a proper shift in wrestlers attitudes over the last few years. Just thought it was worth discussing.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a bad thing for sure. I remember reading reports a year or so ago at how Randy Orton was almost the default locker room leader, which is kind of weird. Yes he's been around for a long time but it wasn't so long ago he was the trouble making young punk who needed to be brought down a few levels by the guys you mentioned.

I think a big part of it is the change in the structure of WWE. These days they are a publicly traded company that caters to a family audience. They have sponsors and shareholder to appease and so the backstage environment has to be far more "safe" than in days past. A lot of the drugs, drink, ribbing elements have been toned back because the last thing WWE wants is embarrassing stuff turning on on youtube videos or talked about on twitter or in shoots. Everyone has to try and be on their best behavior. The days where the Booker patted you on the back for kicking ass in a bar fight are long gone.

Also, the lack of competition and reliance on the WWE developmental system has also probably affected it. The people coming through have already had it drilled into them that they need to watch their step and stay in line all the time. Plus, if you act the hard man and piss someone off, that's it! You are out the door with very few other full-time wrestling options.

• Paid Members

I was talking about the "locker room leader" thing to a mate a couple of weeks ago. It's a weird one, on one hand I think now everyone is the same and well behaved and if they're not they're gone so you don't really need the bullies. There's no doubt that having different crazy guys from all over the place with different histories on the indies and ECW/WCW etc and having to be kept in line by psychos like Bob Holly and JBL makes for a more fun and varied locker room.

It's a bit too clean now, there's hardly any romance left in wrestling.

• Paid Members

How many of the young guys there now actually came up through the traditional ranks? Only asking as I was looking at Kofi Kingston's Wiki page and it seemed he went straight into the WWE without any time elsewhere (I know he was in developmental but that's still WWE)

Is this the common practice these days? Goes a way towards explaining what Ian is saying if they're all brought up the 'WWE way'

• Moderators

One of the best things about NXT is listening to William Regal quietly shooting on the younger members of the roster, saying things about while people like Bryan, Barrett and DiBiase come up to him and ask him for advice to improve the rest of them are too busy pissing about on their phones, playing video games and not mithering the senior wrestlers.

One of the best things about NXT is listening to William Regal quietly shooting on the younger members of the roster, saying things about while people like Bryan, Barrett and DiBiase come up to him and ask him for advice to improve the rest of them are too busy pissing about on their phones, playing video games and not mithering the senior wrestlers.

Ditto! His rants are brilliant.

• Paid Members

I recall an ace story when Funaki was booked to win the Cruiserweight Championship back sometime in 2005/2006, Chavo Guerrero naturally was so annoyed by the bookers messing around with the little lads, that he decided to pick a fight with the Big Show. Chavo swung for him and Big Show was confused as fuck and then shoved Chavo fucking flying when he smacked Show again.

Completely off-topic but it amuses me.

Love Regal and his constantly good advice on NXT when it concerns to younger talent. There's something about Regal that always unnerves me, he just looks like randomly he could break your neck just for the sake of it. I'd ask him all the advice in the world tbh since a lot of the lads in WWE need it.

Archived