There's no bastards left in WWE :(

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
it's funny how guys like Bob Holly had a self serving agenda when he didn't contribute much match or character wise to the WWE during his entire time there.

Don't be bitching about Bob Holly. :angry:

I like some of Bob's stuff a lot. There were times back in the day he was getting good reactions and you always knew what you were getting with him.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
But it's obviously a good thing if the bully culture has gone, it's funny how guys like Bob Holly had a self serving agenda when he didn't contribute much match or character wise to the WWE during his entire time there.

To be honest everyone I've heard other than Ken Anderson, and he's a fucking pranny anyway, said that Bob Holly wasn't really a bully and was a really cool guy. Super intense, but sound as fuck. And Hardcore Holly was great fun several times over his tenure in the WWE. The Superheavyweight stuff, the original Hardcore Holly stuff, the teams with Charlie Haas and Billy Gunn, some quality matches with Angle, being the man to get Chris Jericho firing on all cylinders with the WWE style. Bob was fine.

• Paid Members

It's a shame Court Bauer's Spacecore Holly idea didn't work out. I'd have loved to have seen that. I've no idea why they didnt just run with the idea after mocking up they designed this character sketch for the gimmick. The monkey could have been like Hornswoggle was for Finlay.

spacemonkeycourt.jpg

• Paid Members

I'm probably way off the mark here but it seems to me as if WWE has completely moved away from the concept of the boys in the back, especially with the Clique being more or less dead in the water and even HHH not really being one of the boys anymore but instead everyone's boss/pseudo-boss. I think it's another effect of the death of the territories as well; years ago people would go through the whole territories thing and would always be so eager to learn the ropes and the little tricks needed to really elevate up through the territories and make it to WCW or WWF. Then when they finally made it, the idea of getting help from the established stars was so engrained in their minds that is was the obvious thing to do.

These days someone like CM Punk will start somewhere like CZW or ROH and won't be concerning themselves too much with the fact that this is the beginning of their journey to WWE but instead will be content with just doing what it takes to be a star somewhere like there without learning the much needed skills for a major promotion. Steiner is right too that a lot of these guys are looking for the gratification of being glorified by a small amount of people and as a result they think that they are the dogs bollocks which leads to confrontation and resentment if they score a developmental deal further down the road. Let's face it, WWE is the big show in town and wrestlers need to realise that being an indy darling means nothing when it's time to step up if you don't focus on the skills, pacing etc. that are required to be promoted to TV

If the numerous bully reports are to be believed Holly just comes across as a guy who believes he's more important to an organisation than he actually is, I'm sure everyone can relate that to a person at work. He was always a fast forward guy for me and I'd be surprised if anybody could recall a Bob Holly match they would want to rewatch. I'm not downplaying any potential contributions he may have made backstage though, a guy with that much experience has some worth.

I think it has all originated from the boom period in the late 90s where suddenly a ton of teens and young men wanted to become wrestlers and worldwide superstars. As WWE has expanded into movies and trying to become legit entertainment, I think more young men (and women) saw this and became fans to get into the business and get the same recognition. WWE catered to this with the Divas Search, where they pretty much got models and trained them as wrestlers, which became their hiring policy for girls pretty much for a while with some exceptions. I guess with guys, in WWF/WWE it has always been their MO to get a big name staple to cross over into the mainstream and hook the large audiences, going back to Hogan. I think if you look at Cena and more importantly Miz, WWE have been trying to get the good-looking, young, cool guy to follow on from the Rock-mould (with Miz it is actually a case of finding someone from the MTV world, paint him with the WWE colours so he can represent them in that mainstream world again.

My point is, I don't think a burly 40 year old from the south, looking rough as nails, is that modern representative the company needs which would be too close to the old southern hick archetype of wrestling. It's a shame because when you look back at Raws from 1998 you see all these massive dudes who if you got on their wrong side in a bar, you know you would probably crap yourself, whereas now a lot of the guys look like GQ models who you probably wouldn't care if you spilled a drink on them in a club.

It's another result of the end of the territory system where guys would travel all over the country/world, honing their craft and at the same time getting wear and tear so by the time they made it to the big stage, they looked like they had been in a few fights and had the same mentality.

• Moderators
If the numerous bully reports are to be believed Holly just comes across as a guy who believes he's more important to an organisation than he actually is, I'm sure everyone can relate that to a person at work. He was always a fast forward guy for me and I'd be surprised if anybody could recall a Bob Holly match they would want to rewatch. I'm not downplaying any potential contributions he may have made backstage though, a guy with that much experience has some worth.

Yeah, but who are the numerous bully reports from? I don't remember seeing many from wrestlers not called Ken Anderson, perhaps you'd be able to refresh my memory? I do remember people like Brian Kendrick and Paul London waxing lyrical about how good a guy he was though.

• Paid Members

RVD vs Bob Holly. The 123 Kid and Sparky Plugg vs Kwang and Adam Bomb I always watch because I was big into it as a kid. Probably every match from 1999-2000 when he was having belting Hardcore matches. Boss Man vs Bob Holly tore it up on an episode of Raw in 1999 as well. Holly was a fine hand. He had the best drop kick in the business as well. The bully reports only seem to come from the newsletters and the internet (and Mr. Anderson). Everyone seemed to like him. DDP, Foley, Benoit, Guerrero, Spike Dudley, JBL to name a few.

• Paid Members
RVD vs Bob Holly. The 123 Kid and Sparky Plugg vs Kwang and Adam Bomb I always watch because I was big into it as a kid. Probably every match from 1999-2000 when he was having belting Hardcore matches. Boss Man vs Bob Holly tore it up on an episode of Raw in 1999 as well. Holly was a fine hand. He had the best drop kick in the business as well. The bully reports only seem to come from the newsletters and the internet (and Mr. Anderson). Everyone seemed to like him. DDP, Foley, Benoit, Guerrero, Spike Dudley, JBL to name a few.

I don't know if you would agree but I really wanted to see Lesnar v Holly at the Rumble all those years back. They did a brilliant job of putting him over as a legitimate threat to Brock with the full nelson and combined with the interaction with Heyman, good crowd reactions and a grievance based on a real incident where Lesnar brock Holly's neck it was a really fun feud to tide Brock over before he screwed Goldberg out of the Rumble

Archived