The Classical Music Thread

Chilly McFreeze

• Paid Members

I'm no Connoisseur of classical music, I've always enjoyed it in a vague way when listening to Clasical FM before bed but as I get older, I find myself listening to it more.

Mainly spurred by my obsession with Beethoven's 7th Symphony (especially the 2nd movement) I thought I'd see if anyone else here listens to Classical music, and if anyone has any reccomendations, as I've no idea where to start other than the obvious stuff.

Also, could be a good place to discuss all things Classical.

Anything similar to Beethovens 7th, 2nd movement? Any thing that I should be listening to to get my teeth into?

• Paid Members

I tried some stuff recently but I could really do with someone who knows what they're talking about recommending me some stuff.

Vivaldi's Four Seasons is spectacular. Beyond that I know fuck all.

• Paid Members
Emarrassngly, the closest I've ever really got are orchestral movie scores and the Halo soundtracks. I've always wanted to give the real stuff a go but it seems really impenetrable to a layman.

This, really - if I ask someone in the know for a recommendation, it's normally completely unlistenable to me, so I just go with stuff for TV and movies.

Beethoven's 9th is the finest piece of music ever written. Mrs Houchen got me tickets for a recital at the Barbican by the London Philharmonic one Christmas. It was the most amazing experience, totally amazing. Those classical samplers are a good place to start and they're cheap. You'll soon get a feel for what you like and what you don't like. For instance, I discovered a total love of Mozart and a hatred of Elgar through them.

can't go wrong with CD thats out at the mo 'Now thats what i call classical'

bought it to give as a gift, i'm looking forward to borrowing it (the 14 year old me would be horrified at the 31 year old me that just wrote that)

Archived