Anticlimactic finishes to a match.

V1mark

Thought of a couple of really anticlimactic finishes to a few WWE matches over the years and wondered what other peoples are.

The first one I thought of was Triple H Vs Jeff Hardy for the World Heavyweight Championship on Raw. Jeff had performed valiantly as the underdog and hit most of his moves on HHH and the crowd are loud and enthusiastic, then Triple H applies a Sleeper ... and the ref calls for the bell. Really? A sleeper finish in 2002? Should've just been a Pedigree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJbPekpHjSs

2nd was Brock Lesnar Vs Hulk Hogan on Smackdown were Brock wins with a bearhug. Again, why didn't he just pin him with the F-5? He'd just done it and not one fan in the building thought that Hulk wasn't escaping the bearhug.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxTTa_RLP0Y

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's been a few I-Quit matches that have suffered from this problem, Cena/Miz, Daniels/AJ Styles and Cena/JBL being the main ones i can remember. Fair enough Daniels/AJ was a crock of shit anyways but Cena/JBL was an absolute belter that was ruined by the ending. And as for Cena/Miz the less said about their 'Benny Hill ending' the better.

Thought of a couple of really anticlimactic finishes to a few WWE matches over the years and wondered what other peoples are.

The first one I thought of was Triple H Vs Jeff Hardy for the World Heavyweight Championship on Raw. Jeff had performed valiantly as the underdog and hit most of his moves on HHH and the crowd are loud and enthusiastic, then Triple H applies a Sleeper ... and the ref calls for the bell. Really? A sleeper finish in 2002? Should've just been a Pedigree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJbPekpHjSs

2nd was Brock Lesnar Vs Hulk Hogan on Smackdown were Brock wins with a bearhug. Again, why didn't he just pin him with the F-5? He'd just done it and not one fan in the building thought that Hulk wasn't escaping the bearhug.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxTTa_RLP0Y

Ah this was a period when triple h tried to get non standard finishes over.

But the irony is that the finishes you mentioned arn't over and arn't used enough is BECAUSE they aren't used more often. We as fans are programmed to only accept a match as being finished when someone hits his finisher, and its confusing to us when another move wins the match.

Personally i applaud the wwe trying to get over other finishes. The more possible ways a match can end, the more invested we will be into other moves possibly ending a match. Its a shame wwe stopped trying.

I mean how great would it be if we genuinely believed a suplex, sleeper, power slam, DDT or even a no standing ten count could lead to genuine win?

Personally I think finishing moves are over rated. Don't get me wrong, the stunner, pedigree, tombstone etc are valuable tools to get wrestlers over, but when you have some guys having crap finishers (heath slater im looking at you) for the sake of it, i think it ruins it.

Why must EVERY wrestler need a finisher? Why can't Daniel Bryan win every match with a different submission move? Why can't Sin Cara win with a variety of impressive high flying / pinning combinations? Why cant Brodus win with a selection of power moves? Personally I think everyone believes a wrestler MUST have a finisher, and I don't believe that has to be the case.

• Paid Members
The ending of Hogan vs Lesnar was brilliant!

Absolutely, poor example from the op. That was a superb ending, have never seen a bearhug look as effective as that in my life.

I can't think of an example, but I've seen a few that completely shit on the story they have laid out during the match. Eg heel works the leg all throughout the match teases a couple of submissions, face is selling leg like a trooper and getting to the point where he can barely walk- yet hell wins with a cheap finish such as a roll-up with a handful of tights. Rotten.

Why must EVERY wrestler need a finisher? Why can't Daniel Bryan win every match with a different submission move? Why can't Sin Cara win with a variety of impressive high flying / pinning combinations? Why cant Brodus win with a selection of power moves? Personally I think everyone believes a wrestler MUST have a finisher, and I don't believe that has to be the case.

I agree with you here Andy. Although I like wrestler having their own identifiable finishing move, I agree that there needs to be less finishing-move finishes. As you say, let Bryan win with a different submission move, depending on the body part he is working. I think to be fair Sin Cara has won quite a few matches with a different finish, something Mysterio has done a bit in his WWE tenure. I think finishing moves are relied on too much and make bookers/writers a bit lazy. And on big matches they up it by hitting the same finishes 2 or 3 times. It's lazy and with decent booking you can tell a brilliant story throughout the match that is complimented with a good finish that doesn't have to involve a 'finishing move'.

• Paid Members

Totally understandable why but the finish to Austin vs Owen at Summerslam 97 was anticlimatic. Austin winning by a weak as piss rollup after Owen walked about talking to the crowd for 5 minutes felt like a poor ending at the time. Like I said though understandable given the circumstances and them having to wing it. Was a good little match before that tombstone aswell.

HBK vs Mankind at Mind Games is another one I wish they had a proper finish to. That was a blinder of a match and felt totally different and fresh from the product at the time. The run in didn't change that but it did feel like a letdown to me. To top it off Vader and Sid fucked up the timing of the run in aswell.

I remember hating the finish of Lesnar vs Taker at Unforgiven 02 at the time but it worked out in the end with the HIAC rematch at the next PPV so all was forgiven.

I disagree. Finishers have been devalued over the years by people changing and kicking out of them so often. A finishing move is supposed to a move that a wrestler does better than anyone else, a move he does to such a good effect that no one can escape its effects. Triple H's Pedigree, Jake Roberts' DDT and Kane's Chokeslam are good examples, when they hit them its all over. They have also used them so long that people instantly know when they are trying to hit them, they can build an entire match around hitting one move and work the crowd to such a frenzy that they are dying to see that one move. All wrestlers should have a certain move they do to win, its an integral part of their identity.

• Paid Members

The finish to Lesnar/Undertaker was very anticlimactic indeed. My honest feeling as a smarky cynic at the the time was "Undertaker didn't fancy losing then." I thought they tore down some of the great work Hogan and The Rock had done building up Lesnar as a killer, and I was getting sick of BikerTaker and actually thought of him as a bit past it at the time, so after Lesnar had been built up so well I thought it was stupid that he couldnt beat Undertaker. Of course, Undertaker did put him over very strongly at No Mercy, but you wouldn't know that at the time. Honestly, I thought still serving that finish up to your paying customers in 2002 was an insult.

They then wheeled another rubbish disqualification finish out in HHH vs Steiner at the Rumble, but that wasn't really anticlimactic as it was fitting - crap match, crap finish. Sadly, clearly booked to build a rematch, which I had no interest in seeing What really amazed/dismayed me was they presented another of the same for HHH/Nash at Judgment Day, and that was to be frank, past a joke. Another bad finish to another bad match, to set up an unappetizing rematch. Tossers.

Other examples in my opinion which were strange "is that it?" finishes -

Diesel vs Barry Horowitz from Raw - Diesel hits his big boot, Barry kicks out, so D punches him, then pins him.

AJ Styles, Jeff Hardy & Randy Savage vs Jeff Jarrett & The Outsiders - quite a way into a match that has been taking place 2 on 3, balding, blandly-attired Macho Man walks to the ring and throws a few punches. Jarrett tries to sunset flip Savage who punches him again, then slowly kneels down onto Double J and somehow that's enough to pin him. Wow, so glad I watched this PPV to see Randy Savage wrestle. Listening to Tenay and West pretend Savage deserves

Didn't it come out after Randy died that he got cold feet because he felt he looked terrible and didn't feel ready so Dusty Rhodes said he could just do that and go home to retire if that's what he wanted?

that sounds likely, Savage had a repuatation of being terribly self-concious and insecure

Archived