Anticlimactic finishes to a match.

V1mark

• Paid Members

No idea. PS would have you believe that they proceded to book Jarrett vs Savage for Final Resolution, but Savage said he wouldn't work the match unless he was winning and taking the NWA title, which TNA refused, so went off in a huff. Then they claim he calmed down and decided he would still wrestle the match, but bumped into Hogan backstage at the tv taping and thought "fuck this" and went home, claiming an unsafe working environment.

Bollocks then?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
No idea. PS would have you believe that they proceded to book Jarrett vs Savage for Final Resolution, but Savage said he wouldn't work the match unless he was winning and taking the NWA title, which TNA refused, so went off in a huff. Then they claim he calmed down and decided he would still wrestle the match, but bumped into Hogan backstage at the tv taping and thought "fuck this" and went home, claiming an unsafe working environment.

Bollocks then?

That's the story I heard. After a quick Google search it seems both may be true, but at seperate events

• Moderators

Here's what Da Meltz said in Savage's bio.

Savage, who was in his early 40s, was being phased out of in-ring competition by Vince McMahon Jr. in the early 90s, and in 1994, signed with rival World Championship Wrestling, following the lead of Hogan, who had signed there a few months earlier. He was back in the ring as one of the major stars in that organization through 2000, including a period from the spring of 1996 through the spring of 1998 when it was the leading promotion and he was one of its biggest stars. By that point he had suffered a number of serious injuries from his years of wrestling high-flying, physical style. Savage made a brief comeback in 2004 with Total Nonstop Action, but clearly could no longer perform as he was only in a match for seconds and then left the company.

Raw, a couple of years back and there was some kind of Gauntlet match stip between Jericho as the champ and Batista, devised by Mike Adamle, so you knew it was going to be good.

They faced Regal first, and both got past him in less than a minute.

Next up was Mark Henry, Batista pinned him, Jericho went for a cheap DQ.

I can't remember what the order was, but Jericho got beaten by Kane after a Big Boot, of all things. to this day, I can't think of anyone else Kane has ever beaten with that move - made Jericho look weak as hell.

The finish to Lesnar/Undertaker was very anticlimactic indeed. My honest feeling as a smarky cynic at the the time was "Undertaker didn't fancy losing then." I thought they tore down some of the great work Hogan and The Rock had done building up Lesnar as a killer, and I was getting sick of BikerTaker and actually thought of him as a bit past it at the time, so after Lesnar had been built up so well I thought it was stupid that he couldnt beat Undertaker. Of course, Undertaker did put him over very strongly at No Mercy, but you wouldn't know that at the time. Honestly, I thought still serving that finish up to your paying customers in 2002 was an insult.

They then wheeled another rubbish disqualification finish out in HHH vs Steiner at the Rumble, but that wasn't really anticlimactic as it was fitting - crap match, crap finish. Sadly, clearly booked to build a rematch, which I had no interest in seeing What really amazed/dismayed me was they presented another of the same for HHH/Nash at Judgment Day, and that was to be frank, past a joke. Another bad finish to another bad match, to set up an unappetizing rematch. Tossers.

Other examples in my opinion which were strange "is that it?" finishes -

Diesel vs Barry Horowitz from Raw - Diesel hits his big boot, Barry kicks out, so D punches him, then pins him.

AJ Styles, Jeff Hardy & Randy Savage vs Jeff Jarrett & The Outsiders - quite a way into a match that has been taking place 2 on 3, balding, blandly-attired Macho Man walks to the ring and throws a few punches. Jarrett tries to sunset flip Savage who punches him again, then slowly kneels down onto Double J and somehow that's enough to pin him. Wow, so glad I watched this PPV to see Randy Savage wrestle. Listening to Tenay and West pretend Savage deserves

The only WWE PPV I've been to stateside, I did think it was a very very poor finish at the time.

Raw, a couple of years back and there was some kind of Gauntlet match stip between Jericho as the champ and Batista, devised by Mike Adamle, so you knew it was going to be good.

They faced Regal first, and both got past him in less than a minute.

Next up was Mark Henry, Batista pinned him, Jericho went for a cheap DQ.

I can't remember what the order was, but Jericho got beaten by Kane after a Big Boot, of all things. to this day, I can't think of anyone else Kane has ever beaten with that move - made Jericho look weak as hell.

Kane ended Drew McIntyre's undefeated streak with a Small Boot as I like to call it. I was livid.

Aye, Lex and Yoko might be my pick for the worst as well. It frustrated me that everyone came out celebrating afterwards as well, when the standard wrestling reaction to beating a champion by count-out was "Fuck! I'll get you next time. Fuck!"

Personally I think finishing moves are over rated. Don't get me wrong, the stunner, pedigree, tombstone etc are valuable tools to get wrestlers over, but when you have some guys having crap finishers (heath slater im looking at you) for the sake of it, i think it ruins it.

Why must EVERY wrestler need a finisher? Why can't Daniel Bryan win every match with a different submission move? Why can't Sin Cara win with a variety of impressive high flying / pinning combinations? Why cant Brodus win with a selection of power moves? Personally I think everyone believes a wrestler MUST have a finisher, and I don't believe that has to be the case.

It's like saying why must EVERY band have songs that people know? Because that's what sells tickets. If wrestlers didn't have established finishers, they couldn't tease the crowd with them and then deliver the satisfaction of hitting it, and the gasp if the opponent kicks out. A finisher is as valuable a part of a wrestler's act as their look and their catchphrase. If I'd bought a ticket to see The Rock in a match and he went "fuck the Rock Bottom and People's Elbow, I'm just gonna do the Emerald Fusion tonight instead" I'd have felt cheated.

Daniel Bryan has won matches with different submission moves, and not a single fuck was given because you can't get a million finishers over at the same time. Plus a lot of his submissions (like the Cattle Mutilation and that front facelock one) just look like restholds. The LeBell lock looks like a finisher.

• Paid Members

HHH/Orton at WrestleMania 25 comes to mind for me. I was at the event, and whilst the full match itself wasn't inspiring anyway, the ending was especially flat with a few mounted punches followed by a Pedigree. Over time I realise what they were trying to do but it just didn't work for me.

Aye, Lex and Yoko might be my pick for the worst as well. It frustrated me that everyone came out celebrating afterwards as well, when the standard wrestling reaction to beating a champion by count-out was "Fuck! I'll get you next time. Fuck!"

Personally I think finishing moves are over rated. Don't get me wrong, the stunner, pedigree, tombstone etc are valuable tools to get wrestlers over, but when you have some guys having crap finishers (heath slater im looking at you) for the sake of it, i think it ruins it.

Why must EVERY wrestler need a finisher? Why can't Daniel Bryan win every match with a different submission move? Why can't Sin Cara win with a variety of impressive high flying / pinning combinations? Why cant Brodus win with a selection of power moves? Personally I think everyone believes a wrestler MUST have a finisher, and I don't believe that has to be the case.

It's like saying why must EVERY band have songs that people know? Because that's what sells tickets. If wrestlers didn't have established finishers, they couldn't tease the crowd with them and then deliver the satisfaction of hitting it, and the gasp if the opponent kicks out. A finisher is as valuable a part of a wrestler's act as their look and their catchphrase. If I'd bought a ticket to see The Rock in a match and he went "fuck the Rock Bottom and People's Elbow, I'm just gonna do the Emerald Fusion tonight instead" I'd have felt cheated.

Daniel Bryan has won matches with different submission moves, and not a single fuck was given because you can't get a million finishers over at the same time. Plus a lot of his submissions (like the Cattle Mutilation and that front facelock one) just look like restholds. The LeBell lock looks like a finisher.

Your analogy is poor in my opinion, because your implying that the finishers (like a bands music) is the core reason for seeing a wrestling show when it isnt. Besides, I've been to see bands without knowing their music and many people on here would of been to and enjoyed wrestling shows not knowing what a wrestlers finisher is.

Also you seem to think I'm saying that every wrestler should get rid if their finishers when I'm not. You can still buy your ticket and get your rock bottom fix, but that dosent mean we can't have SOME variety and have a few guys who vary the match endings. Infact why not use your "Heath slater vs. Ted dibiase" level matches to occasionally enforce the possibility that the match could come from any move? After all I don't see people clambering to see slater hit his reverse DDT anytime soon.

Don't get me wrong, there is huge appeal in seeing a finishing move. I love em, but can you honestly tell me that the enjoyment we get out of seeing a finisher dosent sacrifice midmatch enjoyment? After all the reason we don't "give a fuck" about many midmatch moves is because of years of being told that "this match will only end when move x is hit."

Infact why not use your "Heath slater vs. Ted dibiase" level matches to occasionally enforce the possibility that the match could come from any move? After all I don't see people clambering to see slater hit his reverse DDT anytime soon.

And if he never beats anyone with it, they never will. See how it works?

Kane ended Drew McIntyre's undefeated streak with a Small Boot as I like to call it. I was livid.

This is the one that sticks in my mind, it ended his undefeated streak. Then he lost to Kofi using the SOS, which I don't think anyone else has ever been pinned by. Very Strange!

Edit: Shitty quote, sorry.

Has anyone said Austin vs Rock at WM17? Repeatedly hitting somebody with a steel chair over a few minutes whilst McMahon watched just seemed utterly cheap for the biggest match on the biggest card, possibly in history. It seems to get brushed over though and possibly for good reason, I just think they could have come up with far better given that The Rock was going away to the Movies.

Archived