Greatest turns in wrestling history.

Snitsky's back acne

Trawling youtube and found an angle that I'd never fully seen - Jake the Snake Roberts attacking The Undertaker on the Funeral Parlour in early 1992.

It was a great babyface turn - everyone playes their part superbly.

So, I wondered what the ukff feel are the best, or their personal favourite, 'babyface' or 'heel' turns in wrestling history.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

CM Punk's turn on Hardy was excellent. Batista's on Rey Mysterio was also amazing.

I also loved William Regal's turn during his and Eugene's feud with Evolution. He goes from comedy heel babysitter to violently protective babyface almost in the duration of a Highlight Reel. Brilliantly done.

For me it's split. Firstly in my favourite angle ever, we have owen hart turning on his brother bret leading to my favourite ever match at wmxx.

Or we have Austin turning heel at wm17. To tough to call!

Not the greatest, but a turn I really liked was when Lesnar turned heel on Angle in 2003. During that cage match, I can't remember the specifics but remember it playing out brilliantly. With Lesnar feigning being beat down earlier in the night etc, think Vince was involved somewhere as well.

I know it is fuck all in the grand scheme of things but when The Coach turned it was brilliantly done. A chair shot done off camera, camera pans out to reveal the commentator bloke holding it.

Amazingly, what I first had in mind coming into the thread. I was sure nobody else would have said it too, you're a swine Keith.

The Rock as above too, as well covered in various Survivor Series threads lately. Shane's on the same show, as part of the glorious tapestry, is almost as good though.

I fucking loved Tatanka's when I was a kid you know. Lex Luger was such a pleb, and Tatanka actually looked smart for the first time ever taking the cash and kicking the fuck out of him. "You wanna give him a little more.......let's give him a little more!"

Hogan's heel turn at Bash at the Beach '97 is the obvious one as although I didn't witness it I can appreciate that it must have been shocking at the time, despite his promo in which he couldn't decide what the NWO was actually going to stand for.

Bobby Roode's recent heel turn on James Storm was also quite well done I thought.

Hogan's heel turn at Bash at the Beach '97 is the obvious one as although I didn't witness it I can appreciate that it must have been shocking at the time, despite his promo in which he couldn't decide what the NWO was actually going to stand for.

Bobby Roode's recent heel turn on James Storm was also quite well done I thought.

:omg:

• Moderators

Barry Windham's heel turn on Dustin Rhodes in late 1992 was a thing of beauty. It had continuity and everything.

Basically, in 1987 at Starrcade it was Baz vs Dr Death for the UWF Heavyweight title. Face vs Face. Dr Death tried to leapfrog Barry and smacked his spuds on Barry's head. Barry was nice, let Dr Death recover instead of taking the easy pin, and got beat and thus losing in his title shot.

Fast forward to late 1992. Windham and Rhodes are tag team champs and take on the face team of Steamboat/Douglas. Steamboat tries to leapfrog Rhodes and punishes his pills on Dustin's noggin. Windham's seen it before and implores Rhodes to pin him and not make the mistake he made. Rhodes lets Steamer recover and Rhodes and Windham loses the title. Windham goes on to give Rhodes a winding.

Arn Anderson's turn on Dustin in 1994 was ace as well. Dustin asks the face Arn to be his partner against the team of (The Awesome) Bunkhouse Buck and Terry Funk. Arn accepts, but lets Dustin know that in the ring Arn's not a nice guy, and that Dustin needs to know that's he's responsible for the fact he's teaming with the nastiest, coldest, most heartless man in wrestling because he'll be teaming with the old Arn Anderson. Come the match Rhodes tags in Arn, and Arn wasn't lying. Arn pretty much told him what would happen if Rhodes thought about it, and his naivete and innocence due to his youth caught him out again. Which gave us THIS superb promo in the aftermath, one of my favourite promos of all time. Fucking flawless.

Butch, as a proper 90s WCW man, what did you make of Sting getting done over by the new Horsemen in 95? I watched all this retrospectively, and though I love Sting, it's hard to feel sympathy for him getting taken in AGAIN. Especially by Ric Flair, of all people. Plus, is the concensus that Flair and Anderson's entire mini-feud was a set up to lead Sting up the garden path, or what?

It's on topic too, as the turn itself was a good one to watch play out. They gave him a right kicking.

• Moderators

Sting didn't look *as* thick with the 95 vintage "Tag team partner turns on me", due to the fact that Flair used his weakness of children, basically saying to Sting "Don't do it for me, do it for the kids" with about 20 kids in Sting facepaint in the ring with him as he asked. Sting this time actually made it clear he didn't trust Flair, but he was doing it for the kids and thought Flair wouldn't stoop so low as to let children down. Sting was wrong.

As regards whether the Anderson vs Flair feud was to get Sting, I would say yeah and in order to bring back the Hoirsemen as a force rather than the 1993 shite.

Personally, I thought it was ace.

Archived