Greatest turns in wrestling history.

Snitsky's back acne

• Paid Members

The one that always sticks with me is the Undertaker's heel turn in late 2001, simply because no-one saw it coming.

UT : "I just wanna know - were you gonna kiss his ass?"

JR : "Hell no I wasn't gonna kiss his ass."

UT: "Do you wanna kiss his ass?"

JR: "Hell no!"

UT : "The man said no. So tell me...is that because you're better than me?" *Thumps JR* "ARE YOU BETTER THAN ME!"

Link

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

When Rikishi was revealed as the guy who ran over Austin my young self was COMPLETELY shocked. "Not Rikishi! Anyone but the stink face man! How could he??"

Heyman's turn on Lesnar was pretty good, I didn't see that one coming. It's still kind of illogical that he turned on him though - he was a dominant undefeated world champion, and he chucks him in for the Big Slow? :confused:

The one that always sticks with me is the Undertaker's heel turn in late 2001, simply because no-one saw it coming.

UT : "The man said no. So tell me...is that because you're better than me?" *Thumps JR* "ARE YOU BETTER THAN ME!"

Link

I loved heel badass taker and the turn was great from memory. It took a while for him to be fully fledged heel if I remember maybe 2-4 weeks. His matches were good around this time including the ones against the Rock RVD and Flair. Plus his mini feuds with the undercarders like the hardys and maven in early 02 were pretty captivating

I liked when he went kind of tweener towards his face turn as well, where he would be respectful and fair to some of the younger talent like Orton, Jeff Hardy etc but be full on heel with the Main eventers like HHH and the Rock. Shame it ended so soon as there were a string of great tag main events on smackdown

Personally loved The Rock's turn at Survivor's 98. Although it's been mentioned briefly elsewhere, it deserves a bit more attention.

The actual turn was booking perfection to my mind. On the night itself the clues were all there, but painted in a way to make them seem circumstantial- the roll up on Bossman, catching Bossman's nightstick when it was 'intended' for Shamrock and then you had the Montreal screw job to cap the turn. Even the fact that all of his matches were bracketed to be against Corporate opponents was a set up, in hindsight. All this after months of The Rock being built up as the company's next mega face. Sheer brilliance!

• Paid Members

This thread needs more video.

Loved this as a kid. No matter how dastardly he coul be, we all knew Bossman was a nice guy deep down. His turn on Ted Dibiase is fucking great.

Seems as though you could always use Dibiase in order to turn someone face. Much like Jake Roberts, it was always so easy to hate him.

Hogan saves sting.

Just incredible. "Help me Hulk" and what follows is some of the best stuff of this year.

• Paid Members
Bob Backlund snaps on the Hitman. Shite quality, but you get the idea. On paper a woeful idea to me, but a brilliant way of transforming a harmless nobody into a compelling psychopath and an interesting character. Awesome. I love it now, but as a 12-year-old Bret Hart fan it upset me greatly.

yeah i felt the same way, little known fact that if the crazy bob gimmick hadnt taken off, then charles wright was gonna be brought back under the papa shango gimmick and have it revealed that shango had placed a curse on backlund to make him go crazy

Backlund was one scary bastard; just the thought of the Chicken Wing terrified me

• Paid Members
Side question: how was Warrior's absence explained/covered on TV?

Oooooh you lazy so and so, it was right there in Gladstone's post if you had watched it! Vince just referred to "rumours" that Warrior wasn't going to be at Survivor Series, and then said "we can confirm it." Nice and vague. But then, they couldn't very well tell the truth about the matter.

Michaels turn on Janetty made me mad as hell. I couldn't understand why that ingrate Michaels, who held the Rockers back with his bum knee (Summerslam '90) would turn on Marty.

A year is a long time in professional wrestling. There were various miscommunications and fallings out on screen. From a human point of view, after losing many high profile matches/feuds against the bigger/better teams, it's natural to start blaming each other. Their tiff at Survivors 91 was classic "human nature taking over" where Shawn got annoyed at what he perceived to be Marty fucking up and causing him to be eliminated, which Marty (and Monsoon, hilariously) were oblivious to. That was just part of a slow build break up -

It all starts when they lose this match to the Natural Disasters, which Shawn blamed Marty for. (aired 2rd November)

Here, we see the subtle signs that Shawn wants to be the "leader" of the Rockers, as he insists on taking the pin. (aired 24th November)

The aforementioned Survivor Series row.

, Shawn is within his rights to say Marty costs him a pinfall loss to Flair. (aired 16th December)

Here, we have Shawn reacting by wrestling a job match without tagging Marty in once. You can see what's going to happen a mile off. (aired 21st December)

Here, the miscommunication costs them the belts. (aired 28th December)

MSG plays host to continuing tension in a match with the Nasty Boys. (aired 6th January 1992 on Prime Time even though the commentary here is the live commentary from the MSG Network - it was recorded November 30th hence the references to Tuesday In Texas forthcoming. Strangely enough, they recorded the Rockers/LOD match on that night in San Antonio).

That brings you straight up to the Barber's Shop incident Fun bit of research.

And hey, if Shawn thought Marty was holding him back, one has to say he was right.

Heyman's turn on Lesnar was pretty good, I didn't see that one coming. It's still kind of illogical that he turned on him though - he was a dominant undefeated world champion, and he chucks him in for the Big Slow? :confused:

It was perfectly justifyable. Heyman was Lesnar's manager, employed to guide Lesnar's career. Brock was still a rookie at this point, WWE Champion yes, but still young and inexperienced and in need of as much advice as he could receive. Heyman says "don't take this match. It's dangerous and you're hurt." Lesnar doesn't want to listen? You know it all, don't need help any more, learned it all by 25? You know nothing Jon Snow. Fuck you, Brock.

Scott Steiner's WCW heel turn in 92 (shame it led to fuck all)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gfv6n2d4pas

Another that I loved. You know why? Justified. In the same position, we'd ALL have been like "Fuck you, Bagwell."

• Paid Members

Link

I loved heel badass taker and the turn was great from memory. It took a while for him to be fully fledged heel if I remember maybe 2-4 weeks. His matches were good around this time including the ones against the Rock RVD and Flair. Plus his mini feuds with the undercarders like the hardys and maven in early 02 were pretty captivating

I loved Taker round then aswell. I always remember one in ring promo he did in 2002ish, right around the time when every interview would be ruined by the crowd shouting 'What?' after every sentence.

Taker wasn't having it, stopped and said something like "the next person who says 'what' wants to sleep with their sister". Maybe they were in Arkansas or something because there were still a lot of 'Whats' from what I remember.

Not sure if this one really counts because the babyface turn was so brief but Owen Hart's performance outside the ring during the Hart/Backlund 'throw in the towel' match at Survivor Series 94 was a thing of beauty. It should count, the man turned twice in one match.

I genuinely bought into him showing remorse at the time, he even convinced his mom to throw in the towel for fucks sake. Then the way he turned back heel and celebrated as soon as the dastardly deed was done was great. Proper slimey bastard heel antics.

And here's his backstage interview with a chubby Todd Pettengil in a cowboy hat just after

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t16QJpZZveQ

Wooooh

That's one of my last memories of genuinely buying into wrestling. Me and my mate watched that and the drama in that match was off the charts for us. A blinding performance (by pro wrestling standards) by Owen through all that. We were totally on Owen/Bret's side and were longing for the towel to get thrown in "because of how hurt Bret looked to be". Then when Owen grinned like a total bastard and started celebrating we were totally swerved. Brilliant stuff! Our surprise/shock/anger soon turned to glee though, as we were both massive Owen Hart fans too.

• Paid Members

Batistas on rey was great. I loved the whole serious level of disapointment in his voice, followed up by how scary he actually is in real life. It sounds stupid, but I didnt realise how "Large" he was until he said "Thats it Rey, I'm going to rip your head off...." with that crazy smile on his face.

Awesome stuff.

Batistas on rey was great. I loved the whole serious level of disapointment in his voice, followed up by how scary he actually is in real life. It sounds stupid, but I didnt realise how "Large" he was until he said "Thats it Rey, I'm going to rip your head off...." with that crazy smile on his face.

Awesome stuff.

I loved Batista's as well - there was that moment and the brutally honest "Eddies dead Rey" which didn't get so much a boo reaction as a "shit, did he just say that?"

Batista as a heel was awesome

Not the best by any stretch but Stephaine McMahon's turn at Armageddon at 99 was hugely unexpected in my opinion.Up until then Steph had been a super bland babyface but her turn saw her transform into Stephanie McMahon-Helmsley,a very believable bitch.This led to a cracking couple of months with the McMahon-Helmsley Faction and in turn to the brilliant(until the end) Tripper/Kurt/Steph love triangle.

One of my favourite moments ever is Paul Heyman and the former ECW wrestlers turn on Raw:

Another I didn't see coming was Regal's defection to the Alliance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEpZHsDEEFY

• Paid Members
Not the greatest, but a turn I really liked was when Lesnar turned heel on Angle in 2003. During that cage match, I can't remember the specifics but remember it playing out brilliantly. With Lesnar feigning being beat down earlier in the night etc, think Vince was involved somewhere as well.

I thought that was a phenomenal turn. The brutality really shocked me at the time.

Another turn I really liked was Kurt Angle on Eddie Guerrero.

Not so much because of the turn itself, but because of the Batista finally turning on Triple H hasn't been mentioned yet.

Archived