Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

Earlier today, Matt Bloom, who plays Tensai, posted a video on Tout that has since been removed. The video, which has since been deleted, showed him traveling with his "personal chauffeur" Sakamoto to Indianapolis for Smackdown and he remarked that it's "very, very dangerous" to drive with a Japanese person. Tensai then smacked Sakamoto on the head as he drove and ordered him "to open his eyes."

WWE has issued an apology for a video Tensai posted late Monday night on the video sharing network Tout that could be perceived as racially insensitive toward Asian people.

"While in character, Lord Tensai (Matt Bloom) clearly took his storyline too far and he will be reprimanded for his inappropriate comments," WWE's statement reads, which was issued to multiple wrestling news outlets by company spokesman Kevin Hennessy.

It's worth noting another racial remark was made toward Sakamoto on Raw when Jerry "The King" Lawler made a comment following Tensai's match saying, "When Tensai beats up Sakamoto, he changes his name to Sum Ting Wong."

Taken from Wrestlezone.com

Earlier today, Matt Bloom, who plays Tensai, posted a video on Tout that has since been removed. The video, which has since been deleted, showed him traveling with his "personal chauffeur" Sakamoto to Indianapolis for Smackdown and he remarked that it's "very, very dangerous" to drive with a Japanese person. Tensai then smacked Sakamoto on the head as he drove and ordered him "to open his eyes."

WWE has issued an apology for a video Tensai posted late Monday night on the video sharing network Tout that could be perceived as racially insensitive toward Asian people.

"While in character, Lord Tensai (Matt Bloom) clearly took his storyline too far and he will be reprimanded for his inappropriate comments," WWE's statement reads, which was issued to multiple wrestling news outlets by company spokesman Kevin Hennessy.

It's worth noting another racial remark was made toward Sakamoto on Raw when Jerry "The King" Lawler made a comment following Tensai's match saying, "When Tensai beats up Sakamoto, he changes his name to Sum Ting Wong."

Taken from Wrestlezone.com

So first rape jokes are off the table, and now you can't even have a bit of racist fun about Asians! Fuck this PG shit! Bring back XPW.

• Paid Members
Also I'd imagine the rehab would be for issues drugs and drink related, which I'm sure could be directly tied to the wrestling lifestyle.

Sure, but I think it's worth underlying that it wouldn't be Vince McMahon making that link. As he says, the method behind the initiative is "public relations", evidently meaning that others would make the link that wrestling almost postulates drug abuse and tar WWE with it.

Vince vehemently distances himself from any responsibility, of course. The suggestion led to one of his TV great lashings-out when interviewed by Armen Keteyian in the HBO programme that cost Piper his job in, I think, 2003.

Edited by Ronnie

Vince vehemently distances himself from any responsibility, of course. The suggestion led to one of his TV great lashings-out when interviewed by Armen Keteyian in the HBO programme that cost Piper his job in, I think, 2003.

I've watched that a few times, but when he pulls the face and goes for the papers, it gets me every time.

Teddy Hart has been fucking his career up for a decade or more now, hasn't he? And there's no excuse for Harry Smith being so rubbish when he's been doing it for so long.

So you're allowed to mock people with Bell Palsy but 10 year old rape jokes and light racism is frowned upon?

Do you mean rape jokes about 10 year old getting raped, or jokes about rape that are ten years old? Either way, hardly comparable, are they?

Edited by Keith Houchen

• Paid Members
I've watched that a few times, but when he pulls the face and goes for the papers, it gets me every time.

He's phenomenal, isn't he? When you think of Paxo or Burley and their rude, adversarial way of treating their interviewees I'm surprised we don't see more people don't react like that.

That's easily one of my top three "Vince being Vince in front of the mainstream" moments. The other two would be his first interview with Bob Costas ("Then shut your mouth and let me answer the question!") and

. Murray Hodgson, who was later revealed in court to be a habitual liar who had made these allegations before and whose lawyer subsequently apologised to Vince's team, put up a very persuasive case that he'd been abused and then fired by Vince; Superstar Graham was claiming to have seen 12-year-olds giving or given oral sex, which he later admitted were lies.

John Arezzi - Didn't Vince say in published reports that you were devastated when Hulk Hogan made those statements on Arsenio?

Vince McMahon - I wasn't 'devastated'.

Dave Meltzer - That was the word you used to me.

Vince McMahon - Well, alright *adopts a cheeky "shucks, you got me" grin whilst the audience laughs good naturedly and gives a round of applause*

It did a good job of humanising Vince, who had been presented throughout by all but Meltzer as the devil.

Man, he's a TV legend.

• Paid Members
Chris Jericho did an interview with www.iconvision.com promoting his Fozzy band. During the interview Jericho said he was leaving WWE as of 8/14 to go on tour and promote his new album, "Sin and Bones." He said he would be doing Fozzy full-time through the tour and album cycle.

This latest run wasn't very memorable, was it? Next time we see him, he'll probably have long hair and long tights again. Its time he went full on nostalgia babyface, I reckon. He's hit the wall as far as reinventing himself.

• Paid Members
Chris Jericho did an interview with www.iconvision.com promoting his Fozzy band. During the interview Jericho said he was leaving WWE as of 8/14 to go on tour and promote his new album, "Sin and Bones." He said he would be doing Fozzy full-time through the tour and album cycle.

This latest run wasn't very memorable, was it? Next time we see him, he'll probably have long hair and long tights again. Its time he went full on nostalgia babyface, I reckon. He's hit the wall as far as reinventing himself.

I'd barely noticed he was back to be honest.

I hope he just fucks off and takes his fucked up jugs with him.

When he's "on" he's great but when he's "off" I can't bare him.

Both his big returns I've hated and it took him what felt like an age to get going last time. This time he never even got that far.

His feud with Punk was enjoyable but not outstanding for me.

I could see Dolph 'injuring' Jericho taking him off tv, Ziggler will win the world title at somepoint, Y2J return around rumble time as full on face leading to Mania Jericho vs Ziggler for the World Title with Y2J taking the strap.

It may not be a big match but mania will be so stacked it could be a decent match with a simple backstory.