Scott Hall documentary on ESPN

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
Scott seemed to of had a pretty good year in 2010 and was looking fairly well on his you tube show. what the fuck happened this year?

He got sacked from TNA and escaped a jail sentence for violent conduct. 2010 was pretty rotten I'd say. Like all drug addicts, I'm sure he has good days and bad days. Unless he sorts himself out, he'll always be like this.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The trailer looks pretty interesting but abit emotional. I know as fans we all might take the piss out of him but it's such a shame what it's done to him throughout the years. Especially when he talks about not being affraid of death. I was hoping by last years Last Call he was finally cleaning his act.

Also I would like to say how much of a disapointment the last addition of Last Call was.

• Paid Members
Scott seemed to of had a pretty good year in 2010 and was looking fairly well on his you tube show. what the fuck happened this year?

The rumour is, WWE told him he couldn't come to the Hall Of Fame to watch Shawn Michaels get inducted and he went mental.

I thought they did invite him, but he decided he didn't want to risk going and being in a party environment?

• Paid Members

The rumour is, WWE told him he couldn't come to the Hall Of Fame to watch Shawn Michaels get inducted and he went mental.

I thought they did invite him, but he decided he didn't want to risk going and being in a party environment?

Thats right. I heard an audio interview with Shawn Michaels talking about it and he said he was pleased that Scott was so serious about staying sober that he decided not to go to the event. I didnt hear anything about Scott being banned.

Shame the poor sod missed it and fell off the wagon anyway. :(

Thats right. I heard an audio interview with Shawn Michaels talking about it and he said he was pleased that Scott was so serious about staying sober that he decided not to go to the event. I didnt hear anything about Scott being banned.

Shame the poor sod missed it and fell off the wagon anyway. :(

Wasn't the story at the time that he was seen watching the Hall of Fame broadcast in a bar, hammered?

• Paid Members
Wasn't the story at the time that he was seen watching the Hall of Fame broadcast in a bar, hammered?

I recall that. I also seem to remember that people said it was Hall's decision, but WWE happened to make it for him and the "Scott says" aspect was to cover up any embarrassment for him. I have no idea where I read that though.

• Paid Members

I recall that. I also seem to remember that people said it was Hall's decision, but WWE happened to make it for him and the "Scott says" aspect was to cover up any embarrassment for him. I have no idea where I read that though.

Yeah that was the story at the time. WWE couldn't trust him. It wasn't long after the Hall Of Fame that he went mental.

Jesus Christ that was bad. He had the world at his feet at one time. It's a pity he became what he did.

Bischoff is looking old these days, I've noticed it on Impact too. He's always had a classy silver fox look but he looks weathered these days.

He has every chance to turn his life around as long as he is still breathing. Only Scott can change his life for the better.

As far as Eric goes, isn't that just the way Impact is filmed? WCW was the same. It was never as......colourful as WWE. The flesh tones never really looked natural. It was always had a washed out look to it, i don't know the best way to describe it. I don't know if it is deliberate or just the way it is. Maybe they think it looks more realistic that way but Eric does look his age now. Even in WWE he had colour in his cheeks, he had life in him. Now in TNA he just looks so jaded and he wears those t shirts that only young people should be wearing and it's sad to see. I think the same with Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan, even when they joined TNA they looked better! Just shows you it don't last forever. For better or worse I don't know how much longer i'm gonna get to watch these people on TV so i'm gonna enjoy every second of them I can cause when they're gone, whether retired or dead, the wrestling business will NEVER be the same again. Generations will be lost. These men are in peoples memories forever, childhood memories, we grow up with them and Scott Hall is the same. You grow up knowing these people and it's fine to love Bobby Roode and CM Punk and all the other talents finally taking their rightful place at the top of the wrestling world but TNA takes a lot of flack for the older talent they have on their TV shows and they're not just talent, they ARE wrestling and young WWE fans are missing out big time if they think John Cena is what wrestling is all about.

It's sad. They're all getting older and dying and retiring. In 10 years time the wrestling i grew up loving and watching will no longer exist.

• Paid Members

Stephanie chips in:

"It's the most amount of money we've spent on anyone," she said. "I just want Scott to get help and to decide for himself that he needs help. It makes me sad. I don't want anybody to pass away prematurely or otherwise really. Scott was an incredibly talented performer, larger than life, charismatic. He's a father, he's a friend. I'm sure he means a lot to a lot of people and it would be a shame for him to pass away."

• Paid Members

Sorry to double post, but here's the spoilers for the documentary tomorrow, revealing why Hall is so fucked up. He's had a bad life.:

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

I had the chance to see an early cut of the E:60 piece on Scott Hall that will officially debut on tomorrow’s episode on ESPN. Watching it, you get a really sad, depressing feeling that it’s only a matter of time until Scott Hall is going to die…and unlike a lot of stories that have been produced about professional wrestling and those who have passed away, the feeling is that the clock starting ticking on that death for years before he ever took a bump.

The early portion of the story paints the story of Hall’s life before he entered pro wrestling, being raised in a family of “hard drinking rednecks” that places Hall as the self-professed head of the household at the age of only 15. As if that wasn’t enough to mentally process, Hall is charged with second degree murder after getting into a fight with someone over a woman he was dating. While the charges were dropped, the mental scars of the incident and Hall’s decision not to seek help coping with the fallout of the experience really set the stage for the mental issues he was compensating for by turning to self-abuse.

Hall’s career is recounted with clips from the AWA, WCW and WWE as Hall recounts pitching the Razor Ramon character to Vince McMahon, who had never seen “Scarface.” The business, with the NWO at the forefront of the big boom of the 1990s is presented as the largest scale it had ever been – with all the pitfalls of the rock and roll wild, wild west lifestyle talked about by Hall (including a haunting story about a hotel room conversation with Shawn Michaels as both are in a stupor), Sean Waltman and Eric Bischoff.

Like every bubble, the wrestling one crashed and with it came the crash of Scott Hall as a well edited sequence shows the difference between the young and vibrant Hall before thousands of fans and the bloated, pale Hall of today working before sparse crowds while fighting to stay both relevant and on top of the issues that have now defined his life and career. 911 calls made to check on Hall’s well being are played during the piece.

The infamous incident in Fall River, MA where Hall stumbled through an Internet PPV broadcast is both the centerpiece and the most depressing thing in the piece where Hall, walking like a slow motion jellyfish is making his trademark mannerisms as if he was trapped in molasses. Justin Credible talks of switching the pills Hall was taking with aspirin while the promoter of the event defends himself for putting Hall out there in that condition. In the end, Hall admits he didn’t even know what country he was in. The footage of Hall working the show is among the worst examples of what independent pro wrestling has to offer.

The reality of Hall’s life in 2011 is that he now has to take and maintain close to a dozen medications daily due to congenital heart failure brought on by so many of his self-abusive traits. Hall is close to a dozen rehab stays at a cost of six figures to WWE. The physique and chiseled good looks that were once his trademark have been weathered and chipped away. His friends, including Kevin Nash, admit that they’ve been preparing themselves for the worst for over a year. It's a situation where you can't help but shake your head.

The lone beacon of hope is Hall’s son Cody, long estranged, has tried to reconcile with his father, moving in with him. The younger Hall admits that at this point, he’s more concerned with helping his father stay alive than whether Hall can finally get himself clean. However, in one of the more surprising moments of the feature, it’s revealed that Cody himself is now training as an independent wrestler, a revelation that comes only a few minutes before Scott’s ex-wife Dana declares that Scott is as addicted to his alter ego and wrestling as he is any substance. The piece does not show her reaction to Cody following his father's journey in life as a performer.

Absolutely a deep, well edited piece that is worth going out of your way to see. Hulk Hogan is also interviewed in the piece, but doesn't add much beyond an understanding of the qualities of Hall as a performer.

In the end, it's a sobering piece where Hall is described as a "shell of himself" by his own child. Hall himself admits he should have died but for some reason, he is still here. As his health continues to break down, one can only hope that Hall can finally find some peace for himself and his family, before it's too late.

E:60 airs tomorrow evening.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Archived