Scott Hall documentary on ESPN

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reminder: E:60 Scott Hall Special Airs Tonight Reported

ESPN's E:60 special covering Scott Hall will air tonight at 8PM ET. The piece on Hall will cover his personal issues, and feature interviews with Hall, his ex-wife Dana, his son Cody, Stephanie McMahon, Hulk Hogan, Eric Bischoff, Kevin Nash, Justin Credible, Sean Waltman, Mike Mooneyham and more.

I just watched the recent trailer with Pac going on about how hes been ready for Hall's death for the past year and a half. Really sad but I'm really looking forward to seeing it. If anyone finds some links to it make sure to share it with us all

I saw it earlier and it was really quite sad. A very well done piece but heartbreaking.

I've put together a summary as I watching it (forgive poor grammar and paraphrasing) for anyone who doesn't wish to see it in the spoilers below.

I saw Scott Hall for the first time when he returned to WWE at No Way Out 2002 and became an instant fan, however this was still hard to watch so personally i'd advise any long term fans of him to either not watch it, or be warned.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

The show starts off with the introduction and shows Scott in 1994 in WWE and he speaks of wrestling in front of 60,000 people in domes. Then it cuts to the indy show he was at last year with an attendance of around 500 to show the contrast. This along with Scott's appearance is pretty hard hitting.

Scott's Dad was high up in the army. Scott's Dad, Mother and Grandparents were all alcoholics. His Dad told him "You're gonna slip, you're gonna fall. Try to fall forwards."

January 15th 1983:

Scott was working at a night club in Florida and got involved in a 'heated dispute'.

"Of course it was over a girl, he smashed all the windshields in my car. I walked outside and the security guard was there who watches the cars and I said 'where is he?'. He was around the corner talking to the manager who was my friend.

I remember what he was wearing, what I was wearing, what it smelled like, it's burnt in my brain. I drilled him and he went down and his shirt went up and he was reaching for the gun so I reached for it too. We wrestled around for the gun, I took it and... shot him in the head."

Hall was charged with 2nd degree murder. The case was dismissed because the evidence against him was deemed insufficient.

"A guy pulled a gun on me and I took it off him and shot him, point blank with a .45. A guy is dead and i'm the reason, this is bad. I did probably the most unhealthy thing I should have done, I should have sought counselling right then but I didn't know anything, I was a kid."

A year later Scott was signed by AWA.

Scott admitted to using steroids because of the attention he saw the other guys get from girls in the mall.

His ex-wife spoke briefly about Scott.

Scott says the birth of his two children instantly brought him closer to his parents.

Scott's son Cody says about how his Dad seemed larger than life as a kid.

Hall tells the story of how he became 'The Bad Guy' during a meeting with Vince McMahon.

Eric Bischoff & Hulk Hogan speak of how the nWo made the business bigger, Hogan says it was as big as Hulkamania.

Kevin Nash said the only time Hall felt in control of his life was when he's in the ring.

Eric Bischoff: It's life on the road, it's night life, it's hotels, it's bars, it's fans and all of the good and all of the bad that comes with it.

X-Pac: You could be some place and just outta nowhere someone say 'Hey, I got some coke.. it's free'.

In 1998, Hall and his wife divorced. As his ex-wife says 'Scott gave up on me and the kids for wrestling'.

Cody(Scott's son) says his father was never there for him.

Regarding Hall's run in 2002, Stephanie said that they had heard he'd had issues but that he was clean. Hall wasn't performing at the level as he once did and they mutually parted ways.

Scott says he's totalled eight Cadillacs, not a scratch on himself, he says he doesn't drive at all now as he will drive drunk.

Hall has been to rehab ten times, WWE has financed multiple treatments.

Stephanie McMahon: It's the right thing to do to reach out, once you're a part of the WWE family, you're a part of us forever. Without giving too many particulars it's in the six figures, the amount of money we've spent sending Scott to rehab. It's the most amount of money we've spent on anyone.

Eric Bischoff: Wrestling is not killing Scott Hall, Scott Hall is killing Scott Hall, Scott Hall's demons are killing Scott Hall.

Kevin Nash: People tell me Scott is gonna die. I say not until we hold him down and drive a stake through his heart.

In 2010, Hall suffered congestive heart failure and began battling seizures.

Scott takes ELEVEN different medications daily and has a pacemaker to monitor his heart.

Scott Hall: All them years of partying and now i'm taking all these pills and I don't get a buzz.

X-Pac: I've been preparing for Scott's death for the last year and a half.

In 2011, several 911 calls were made regarding Scott Hall. People worried he was about to commit suicide.

Scott: Someone told me i'd written a suicide note or something and i'm thinking 'What?', no, I thrive on misery.

April 6th 2011:

Scott says he was hospitalised after suffering a seizure.

Two days later, he travelled to Fall River, Massachusetts to headline an independent wrestling event. At age 52.

Scott Hall: I was really worried about doing it, but I thought I can't just hibernate, I have to test the waters and I found out that, wrong move, bad move, bad mistake.

Steve Richard (Top Rope Promotions): He got off the plane in a wheelchair and the first thing he said was 'I want my money'. I knew we were in a World of hurt by that point, we had people lined up ready to get in, half the building is already full and the main draw for the evening just got physically carted into the building.

PJ Polaco/Justin Credible: I walk in and the promoter rushes up to me and tells me Scott's here, and I thought 'oh great', and here is, just really really out of it. Still with the hospital band from the night before on.

Steve Richard: He asked for beer and we told him no beer. He was in one of those states that he wanted more. I absolutely made a business vs. moral decision. Scott Hall is not my friend, I met him one day, i'm pretty sure i'll never meet him again.

X-Pac: So you the shoved the guy out the curtain so you don't have to give out refunds? Fuck you.

Steve Richard: Y'know the show goes on, the people paid for Scott Hall and we showed the World who Scott Hall was.

Scott Hall: I'm on eleven heart and seizure meds and the combination of the perk and the somas, brother I didn't know what country I was in, I don't even remember being there.

Cuts to live promo at the show:

Scott Hall: I left the hospital 6am this morning, flew coast to coast..

Fan: (shouts out) Oh you relapsed..?

Scott Hall: ..to be.. no actually, it was a seizure, it wasn't a relapse this time.

They show parts of the show.

PJ Polaco: It was one of the most embarrassing things i've ever been apart of in wrestling. It was horrifying and very sad, very sad for me and i'm sure for the fans.

Scott Hall: I apologise to people who came to see me, I know everybody wanted to see me on my A game, I wasn't.

Eric Bischoff: Scott Hall is representative of what a lot young guys in the business now look at and realise that if you allow this business to consume you, you can become a victim of it.

Hall says he checked into Rhodes Island hospital that night. According to medical reports, he was treated for an overdose of opiates and benzodiazepines.

Scott Hall: There's gotta be some reason i'm still here, I should have been dead a hundred times.

While in the hospital, Scott was visited by his son Cody.

Cody Hall: I feel like it's now or never for him.

Scott Hall: I don't like people worrying about me, especially people I love. I don't wanna embarrass my kids who go to school 'your Dad's a drug addict', i don't wanna embarrass my kids.

Kevin Nash: I don't know how much longer his heart is gonna be able to take this, he just looks so frail. So i'm hoping that Cody is that anchor that keeps it at least in harbour.

Scott began mentoring Cody to become a professional wrestler, it shows Cody training and Scott offering advice. It shows Cody performing a Razor's Edge.

Scott Hall: My dream would be to be able to teach my son because he has everything it takes to be a major superstar, except he's got his Dad's last name.

Scott's ex-wife: I really wish Cody wouldn't do the wrestling thing, but I guess he's gonna have to learn it the hard way, hopefully not as hard as his Dad.

It shows Cody and Scott coming out together at a very small show in a gym in 2011, with commentary snippets from 1994 from Vince McMahon and a few clips intertwined from now and then.

Cody Hall: When I look at him now it's so hard because he's so different than what I used to think of him as, like a shell of himself. All the tan and the muscles, all the healthy features went away.

Scott's ex-wife: He's as addicted to wrestling and his alter ego as he is to alcohol and drugs. They all feed off of each other and it's a cycle that's never gotten broken. I just pray this whole addiction thing will stop in Scott.

Cody Hall: It's not even about him trying to get better now or sober, it's just trying to get him keep living his life and I just wanna be the one that does that.

They show Cody performing the Razor's Edge at the small indy show intertwined with clips of Scott performing the move in WWE.

Scott Hall: All I ever wanted to be was this big time pro wrestler. I never quit fighting, I may not win but I won't quit fighting. Life on the razor's edge, from the outhouse, to the penthouse, to the outhouse, to the halfway house, ha, you know? ... I just laugh as a defence so that I don't cry.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Pretty powerful documentary in all fairness and put together really well. It's a great shame and theres some interesting points to note on it. I just am shocked Hall's been in rehab 10 times and still isn't clean. The promoter who sent him out in a intoxicated state seems like a right arsehole. Pac has some bad words to say to him. As a massive Hall fan myself I can't recommend this enough.

• Paid Members

What a sad fucking documentary that was. Terrible to see such a cool, larger than life character in such a state. Its only when you see him today next to how he looked in 1995 is when you really see his decline. What a good looking, cool, hard looking superstar this bloke was. He had everything.

Update on him: Scott Hall's been in hospital the last seven days and is back in WWE rehab in the next couple of days. Hope he's alright.

Was pretty bad to watch. One of the worst parts was seeing numerous shots of his son crying about him, and then discovering that he himself has entered the very same business that destroyed his dad. Sort of similar to DH Smith getting busted for the Wellness Policy after everything that happened to his dad.

Archived