Shawn vs Bret

crazyshady

Just watching this tonight and have really enjoyed it so far. It's amazing how much credit Bret takes for a lot of the angles between him and Shawn and how he was wanting to help build Shawn into the next big superstar. Another thing that has stayed with me is Bret's comments towards Shawn's character and how he would bring kids in the ring to celebrate with him and at the time i never really thought much of it. And then i realised this was a heel Shawn Michaels and he was coming across as a bit sleazy with the striptease before his match started and the girating around the ring but just seeing Bret talking about Shawn bringing kids in the ring after the match and celebrating with him in that way, even going as far to say the kids stripteasing with him did shock me a little. I'm sure Bret doesn't mean it in the way that it's suggested but it is interesting especially when Shawn immediately says there was no difference between his character and him as a real life person and him bringing kids in the ring was just what he did and him........prancing around in the manner he did was just him joking around. The emphasis is made on Shawn being a heel and how Bret was the true babyface and Shawn was supposed to be a babyface but he was obviously a ladies man and very sleazy. I wish my memory was better so i could remember it all because i don't remember Shawn being a heel at the time he was doing alll that stuff..... but something tells me the truth isn't being completely told here. If i was Shawn i'd be offended.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

For me Shawn was and always will be the better character, but Bret was the better wrestler even if Shawn entertained me 50x more, I know this will split people but I enjoyed Shawn's comeback more than his original run, he seemed to enjoy himself alot more and had some great great matches.

I think what Bret meant was, it's a bit wrong to have kids in dancing around with a guy who acts like a male stripper and pulls his pants down to the pubic line. Which Shawn did many times as a babyface. They even show a clip of it. Not that he had kids anywhere near him when he did that, but that's how I took it.

For me Shawn was and always will be the better character, but Bret was the better wrestler even if Shawn entertained me 50x more, I know this will split people but I enjoyed Shawn's comeback more than his original run, he seemed to enjoy himself alot more and had some great great matches.

I missed that originally, i wasn't watching WWE from early/mid 2002 till 2009 for various reasons but i recently downloaded a pack based on the return and i agree. To be honest i hated Shawn as a kid because of the gimmick, i just couldn't see what there was to like about some smug little pretty boy even when he was a face.

• Paid Members

I missed that originally, i wasn't watching WWE from early/mid 2002 till 2009 for various reasons but i recently downloaded a pack based on the return and i agree. To be honest i hated Shawn as a kid because of the gimmick, i just couldn't see what there was to like about some smug little pretty boy even when he was a face.
While were both agreed I think he could have done some fantastic work had he turned Heel at anytime during his comeback, he kind of did during his feud with Hogan but HBK was a fantastic cunt heel and he would have been really entertaining had he been willing to turn. You only have to look at his appearance mocking Hogan on that Larry King segment and his Bret return teaser in Canada to see how entertaining it could have been.

• Paid Members

So Shawn defends himself on the dvd? The only thing that could ruin a one on one conversation with the two is Shawn repeating what he said in his retirement speech and essentially taking all the blame.He was obviously a prick, but Bret deserves his share of the blame too (and Vince). A fair, proper debate between to two would be brilliant.How is it? (for anyone that has watched it already.)

I was a bit underwhelmed with it to be honest. A lot of it was the two of them giving their views on certain incidents but not debating any of the points where they didn't agree. And the few times they did follow up Shawn basically said he couldn't remember but fully believed he was capable of behaving that way back then and would hold his hands up for it. It's a good shoot type DVD but nothing groundbreaking in my opinion. Couldn't help but feel for Bret when he started choking up when discussing his stroke and "losing his smile" though. And it was really cool seeing the recent backstage footage of the two of them having a laugh together.

• Paid Members

Yeah I have seen it and thought that Bret came across great. He was practically telling the story and probably went light on Shawn. Did anybody else notice Michaels say something along the lines of I honestly thought only 4 of us knew about the screwjob going in meaning HHH,HBK,Vince and Earl. Yet 5 mins earlier in the interview he says how Brisco offered him help in case it turned into a shoot.

i thought more intresting comments were made on their respective dvd releases, and if you had bought those then this was little more than filling stuff in. still, the novelty of having them two sat sideby-side was cool and the extras are pretty great if you havent got them.i too was getting a bit annoyed when shawn would come out with the whole, 'it probably happened, i cant remember' line.did anyone else enjoy bret talking a lot more than shawn, because he was generally more well-paced and deliberate, whereas shawn was very scatty and all over the place when he spoke?we all know sunny should have been brought in half way through to finish the interview :p

I liked the bit were Shawn was casting up the fact that Bret wanted to hand the belt back on Raw and leave nicely as a bad idea, and JR shot him down in seconds by saying something to the effect of, 'well you handed belts over on Raw several times, he (bret) only wanted to do it once, what's so wrong with that?'To which Shawn nervously squirms and gives a vague, non committal answer like he did for most of it. It's definitely 'Bret heavy' as he does most of the talking, but what impressed me the most was, several points he mentioned in his book, he brought up on this and didn't change them. Shawn used the 'I was a different person then' for most of it. You could tell they were trying to be nice about the whole thing, as someone else above mentioned, just seeing them sat together was cool, and the bits were they were laughing together were weird to see in a good way. I'd say it's worth watching if you like them, if you don't then it's a long program about 2 grown men discussing how childish they were about 15 years ago.

• Paid Members

Unless it's in Shawn's book (I don't remember), I think this is the first time in a WWE product that they've covered Triple H's shit-stirring being a contributing factor to the screwjob.They don't mention Patterson suggesting the sharpshooter spot, which is obviously the key to the screwjob working.Seeing the whole interview is only two hours (meaning plenty of room is left unused on disc one) makes it all the more baffling the Montreal match isn't on the regular DVD set.

Unless it's in Shawn's book (I don't remember), I think this is the first time in a WWE product that they've covered Triple H's shit-stirring being a contributing factor to the screwjob.They don't mention Patterson suggesting the sharpshooter spot, which is obviously the key to the screwjob working.Seeing the whole interview is only two hours (meaning plenty of room is left unused on disc one) makes it all the more baffling the Montreal match isn't on the regular DVD set.

Not the first or last time that WWE have changed history.

Unless it's in Shawn's book (I don't remember), I think this is the first time in a WWE product that they've covered Triple H's shit-stirring being a contributing factor to the screwjob.

I'm sure I've read Shawn Michaels saying it was Triple H who came out with the suggestion, which must have been either in his book or in a WWE magazine interview.

Archived