Shawn vs Bret

crazyshady

• Paid Members
Regardless of who was in the right (it was Vince and DX), the finish that actually happened was the best possible finish for the match. Bret went to WCW having not really been beaten for the title, and with a million times more controversy around him that should've made him a perfect enemy for corrupt boss Bischoff's NWO. WWF had loads of controversy, a new mega-heel in Vince McMahon and didn't have to do something stupid with the belt like give it to Shamrock for a month or hotshot Austin's first title win. If WCW played their cards right, Bret Hart vs NWO should've been enormous.

Your right but for me it hard not to feel for Bret. It just seemed that S.S 97 was the end of the man who had become a world star despite the shit times WWF was in during his run.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neither man was in the right. I don't think Shawn's memory is anywhere near as bad as he makes out and if he had just answered Jim's questions and Bret's comments calmly and shown some thought had gone into his answers he would have maybe made me believe him a bit more. Bret on the other hand is completely calm and makes no excuses. Shawn i think rambled on too much and there was no need for it.

• Paid Members
So Vince still can't accept that WCW was simply better at that time then?

I don't think it's just Vince. I mentioned about the Legends Of Wrestling: nWo program in the random comments thread. You've got Dillon, Hayes, Okerlund, Ross and Nash all sat round a table, able to evaluate the nWo angle and it's basically a bitching about WCW session. Jim Ross is such a bitter fuck, his opinion becomes worthless.

• Paid Members
Does Shawn admit that he faked the knee injury in 97?

He said he went to a doctor who said he shouldn't wrestle again. But, if any doctor outside of that Dr. Andrews bloke (who understands that wrestlers can avoid certain bumps etc.) an average wrestlers knees they'd tell them all not to wrestle. Shawn said he just took this doctors word for it and gave up the title. It was quite a confusing excuse from him to make, and one which JR and Bret called him on. They then played footage of him (while 'retired') doing a backflip off the turnbuckle during an interview.

• Paid Members

The whole interview is available to view in 3 40 minute segments on daily motion.

Having just watched it I honestly thought it was an excellent interview. As Ian said, Bret doesnt hold back and understands that the only way you could sell this dvd is if he is completely honest. Shawn does take a lot of it, but it certainly didnt feel like it was Bret simply laying all the blame on Shawn. Bret admitted that he was at fault for happened as well, but it behind the scenes stuff of the two of them chatting away like old friends that i found riveting. As mentioned, the interview doesnt break new ground in what was has already been said in the past, it's simply the fact that the two of them are saying these things right next to each other.

I know Bret has a lot of ditractors when it comes to the decisions he made during the survivor series, but I firmly believe if you watch this you would probably would say that you would have done the same thing.

It basically comes down to Shawn telling Bret to his face that he wouldn't put him over in front of Jim Neidhart and Ken Shamrock. Bret told Vince the next day at the TV tapings, Vince told Bret he would get to the bottom of it, Vince held a meeting between the 3 and never once mentioned it and Bret was shocked as Shawn sat there and put Bret over and said how good he was.....the opposite of what he told Bret before. Bret said he had no problem dropping the belt to Shawn but he wanted to beat Shawn first. He wanted Shawn to show him that he had the respect for him to do that then he would drop the belt to him the next night. He didn't wanna drop the belt to someone who told him to his face that he was never gonna put him over. Then he talks about not losing it in Montreal so it's a little hard to figure out what Bret is really meaning or if he was just convinced there was no way he was gonna drop it in Montreal. The way they talk about it on the DVD it sounds like this all happened a few weeks before the Survivor Series. Shawn could easily have put Bret over on TV before the Survivor Series and then Bret would have got the respect he wanted and then gladly dropped the belt to Shawn at the PPV.

Archived