Shawn vs Bret

crazyshady

Shawn could easily have put Bret over on TV before the Survivor Series and then Bret would have got the respect he wanted and then gladly dropped the belt to Shawn at the PPV.

Aye, nothing gives Survivor Series the "big time 18 months in the making rematch" sell like doing it on Raw a fortnight before.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watched this today and having read the thread, Ian's pretty much nailed my thoughts on it. A good DVD, but more because of the precident set by it's release. The chatter early on about selling for big guys was smashing walls down all over the shop, let alone when they got into drug tests and Savio Vega.

There was bound to be disappointments in the million of things they could have mentioned but didn't, but I would have loved them to touch on:

- That story one of them told once (I forget who, but I think it was Bret) about Shawn being pretty pissed off backstage with everything that went down at Wrestlemania IX.

- Bret getting massively fucked off that Shawn claimed the ladder match as his own after Mania X, despite their own happening years earlier and Stampede and blah blah blah. Thought they would talk about their contrasting Mania X stories in general after that video package actually, shame they left it alone.

I see that poor old Man Mountain Rock is the latest to take the visual bullet from the WWE DVD makers when they search "shit what we did before Attitude lol" in the archive video section. I always dread seeing who they pick on, especially as that era is one of my favourite wrestling periods, but it results in getting some right bizarre clips on a DVD likely to be seen by a lot of eyes such as this one. I think King Mabel got got too, IIRC.

On that, if I had only ever seen Bret in WCW via WWE, all I'd know is that he spent every waking hour sat on a box with Eric Bischoff wearing a Hogan t-shirt watching what we can only assume is a match. They fucking love that clip.

Bret sure put the boot into Diesel, didn't he? Surprised HBK didn't speak up for his mate.

I found that whole bit quite weird. When Bret accused (albeit very gently) HBK of completely stealing all of Big D's face momentum at Wrestlemania (which he totally fucking did mind), Shawn said nothing and Bret moved it forward into saying in a roundabout way that Shawn's performance that night finished Diesel as a champion. That bit's a little bit fuzzy considering that he held the belt for ages still after, but the jist of it all was pretty clear.

Even with his "Yeah, I probably did say that, I were off my tits and a right cunt" defense, you'd think Shawn would still have some recollection of working circles round his bezzie mate on the big stage. It's the only time I can remember one of the Clique members being even a slightly bit selfish with one another in a match.

Archived