The Underated Musician Thread

WWFChilli

• Paid Members

Ok, simple really, a thread where we gush about underated musicians. That means no Bob Marley, no Queen, no solo Beatles work etc etc etc and most definately no european shitcunt metal bands where "you gotta listen to the lyrics" because you don't.

Therefore I will start with this lass, to justify her underated...ness.

kirsty_maccoll2.jpg

Fuck Adele and especially fuck shitarse Mick Hucknall they don't have a bench named after them, the true premier Ginge in pop was and is Kirsty MacColl.

I've mentioned MacColl a few times on here usually in the comments that don't warrant a thread... thread but MacColl is the dogs bollocks. Her career starts out with a 50's rock and roll sound almost bordering on parody with 'Terry' and the brilliantly titled 'There's a Guy Works Down the Chip Shop Swears he's Elvis'. Then she evolved more in the 80's with her producer husband doing a cracking cover of Billy Bragg's 'A New England' before she fucked off to have a few sprogs.

She came back with the 'Kite' album in 1989. Kite is a fucking brilliant piece of work, with her cover of 'Days' as well as her own singles like 'Free World' and 'Innocence'. Her Musical stylings were off the fucking wall too. 'Electric Landlady' (a cracking name for an LP) contains cheery pop tunes, slow mournfull ballads and a full on swing and samba song, not to mention 'Walking Down Madison' fusing early 90's dance with Rock and early drum and bass, cracking top stuff. She also did a shit load of backing vocal work. The ammount of songs she actually appears on are is staggering. Appearing on tracks by The Smiths (Panic, Ask, Bigmouth), Happy Mondays (Hallelujah), Talking Heads (Nothing But Flowers) and god knows how many more, she pretty much did backing for anyone her hubby was producing at the time.

Her marriage went to shit in the mid 90's and she again fucked off for a bit then came back in 2000 with her last album 'Tropical Brainstorm' which was mainly Cuban and Brazillian music influence tracks and some ironic lyrics for her samba swing tune 'In These Shoes?'. Brainstorm was a great piece of work but then MacColl died at the end of 2000 in a speedboat incident. A bigger shame since she was so well liked by the music world seemingly as a genuine nice person, even Morrisey liked her... and he's miserable now.

Kirsty MacColl for my money is an example of a great underated artist. Most of us have definately heard or know a song of her's but how many people shout her praises or mention her work? Doesn't seem like many, most people most probably might just know her as "that bird who sang on The Pogues song" or "wern't she that lass who got hit by that boat" which is a real shame since she produced some top notch material. MacColl is a good example of the genuine underated musician, you may disagree either way post away with yours.

A New England

Free World

They Don't Know

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Daniel Johns/Silverchair

kp0qcwhou5fnoh5q.jpg

They're massive in Australia and have a decent following worldwide but they've never got their due IMO (well in this country). The critics can never get past the fact they made their first album when they were 14 and only see them as a novelty band. I remember reading my wee brother's NME once to see what they written about Big Day Out, NME called them post-Grunge novelty act (despite the fact they only made one 'grunge' album and are one of Australia's most successful bands). That's the story of their career, outside Oz.

Silverchair have went into 'hibernation' this year and may be done for good. Daniel Johns is working on a film, Ben Gillies (the excellent drummer) is working on a solo record and the bassists, Chris Joannou, is making his own beer.

I've selected songs from different albums, to show the progression, some are better than others but mind they were 14 when they started out...

I'll chuck out a couple.

Willie Nelson. He's hugely famous and almost universally loved, but I don't ever get the feeling that he's taken seriously as a songwriter and performer, which when you consider the breadth and volume of his work is absolutely ridiculous. Johnny Cash made some fantastic records in the sixties, disappeared for a looong time aside from the odd decent record (one piece at a time in the 70s springs to mind) then reemerged when Rick Rubin got hold of him. He's absolutely lauded as a god now he's died. Nelson's contribution, over 5 decades is arguably far, far greater, especially from a songwriting point of view but I seriously doubt he'll get the kind of mainstream hero worship/tshirts in HMV treatment that Cash got when he died.

Basia Bulat. She's becoming fairly well known now in folk circles and thanks to covering Ted Leo for the AV club, but nowhere near the recognition she deserves. best folk album I've heard in forever was Heart of My Own. And she's gorgeous. Not that that makes a difference, obviously.

Rhett Miller. The old 97s get a bit of coverage, as does Rhett Miller solo in folky/country circles, especially in the US, but over here he's not well known. A genuinely talented songwriter and fantastic performer whether with a band or alone.

Sorry it's all folky/country. First three that sprung to mind.

Brand New- only got into them three years ago at uni but wish i knew them when i was 16 :( . just so many lyrics that stick with me and are so haunting. their growth from their first album, Your Favorite Weapon, which is very pop-punk, to more darker offerings like Deja Entendu and, my favorite album, The Devil and God is Raging Inside Me, is incredible, while their most recent album Daisy was also pretty good. Going to see them for the third time in February, cant wait.

so hard to pick a top five/ten of songs so here's a few:

Brand New- only got into them three years ago at uni but wish i knew them when i was 16 :( . just so many lyrics that stick with me and are so haunting. their growth from their first album, Your Favorite Weapon, which is very pop-punk, to more darker offerings like Deja Entendu and, my favorite album, The Devil and God is Raging Inside Me, is incredible, while their most recent album Daisy was also pretty good. Going to see them for the third time in February, cant wait.so hard to pick a top five/ten of songs so here's a few:

Excellent shout. Saw them in 2001 just after the first album came out. Lovely, friendly chaps and for a first album, they were writing unbelievably complex stuff. Still one of my favourite records.

• Moderators

This album is so good!

I like the idea, and I was just today listening to a massively underrated/unheard of album that is one of my favourites that is perfect for this list.. However, I'm rubbish at writing stuff about music so here's what someone wrote on Amazon that's pretty accurate:Fried - FriedFried's eponymous debut is a rare gem of an album. Combining truly emotive songwriting with achingly evocative vocals, Fried is one of the most accomplished mixes of soul/funk and R&B in years. The result of a five year search by former Fine Young Cannibals songwriter David Steele to find the perfect singer, Fried combines Steele's undeniable talents with that of 23-year old New Orleans gospel singer Jonte Short. Evoking both the maverick vocal gymnastic of Macy Gray and smouldering old-soul charm of Fontella Bass and Aretha Franklin, Short's honeyed vocals reflect pain, frustration and joy with remarkable ease. Opening track and first single "If You Get Out Of Jail" swings with a deep bass hook, while strings, slide guitar and a rap by RZA pepper proceedings, but its Short crying out for her denied loving that gets the spine a tingling. With Steele having resisted Macy Gray's attempts to acquire "Whatever I Choose" it's somewhat ironic that Short's vocals echo her so strongly on the track. But it's the singer's remarkably nimble shifts in mood and range from the carefree summery lilt of "Sugar Water Days" to Beth Gibbon's forlorn contemplation "Stranger In This Land, that makes otherwise good songs great.I haven't really heard anything like this nearly as good before or since. The whole album is tremendous. The Band got re-signed a couple years back, and re-released the album as "Things Change" with a couple new tracks and a couple tracks gone from the original (haven't heard that though).51G9FZGPT0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

• Paid Members

Greg Howe.

People always shite on about Steve Vai & Joe Satriani, etc as guitar "legends" - those guys have no soul in their playing IMO - it's all wanking. Boring repetitive runs & sweeps with absolutely no feeling. It bores me.

Greg Howe has it all. Most underrated guitarist ever - best in the world, IMO!

• Paid Members

Brand New- only got into them three years ago at uni but wish i knew them when i was 16 :( . just so many lyrics that stick with me and are so haunting. their growth from their first album, Your Favorite Weapon, which is very pop-punk, to more darker offerings like Deja Entendu and, my favorite album, The Devil and God is Raging Inside Me, is incredible, while their most recent album Daisy was also pretty good. Going to see them for the third time in February, cant wait.so hard to pick a top five/ten of songs so here's a few:

Excellent shout. Saw them in 2001 just after the first album came out. Lovely, friendly chaps and for a first album, they were writing unbelievably complex stuff. Still one of my favourite records.
This really is not an "excellent shout" Brand New are a massive band.This should be a thread to discover new stuff and appreciate less known acts, Brand New have been huge for ages and pretty well known for a good few years before that.Looking forward to checking out that Greg Howe dude, I like a good guitarist (but who doesn't?)

Archived