The Underated Musician Thread

WWFChilli

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Greg Howe has it all. Most underrated guitarist ever

I agree with this entirely.

People always shite on about Steve Vai & Joe Satriani, etc as guitar "legends" - those guys have no soul in their playing IMO - it's all wanking. Boring repetitive runs & sweeps with absolutely no feeling.

Don't agree with this, particularly with Satriani's work after about 1992. All the Mike Varney guys were peddling the same old stuff for years, while Satriani was bringing in electronica, ambient and techno elements, and offsetting it with clean, strong melodies. The Malmsteen-esque infinite legato and overdubs for the sake of it disappeared years ago.I still maintain that despite being highly regarded as a metal guitarist, Zakk Wylde is massively underrated as an all rounder. His first solo album (ie: NOT Black Label Society) shows a lot more versatility than he's ever done since. Farmyard Fiddling may have been a pisstake, but it was done spotlessly.Dweezil Zappa is absolutely superb these days, and still doesn't get considered as much other than "son of Frank with the funny name". Confessions was a massive step forward in the maturity of his playing compared to his first two albums, but his more recent work on the Zappa Plays Zappa project is just another level.

• Paid Members

Greg Howe.People always shite on about Steve Vai & Joe Satriani, etc as guitar "legends" - those guys have no soul in their playing IMO - it's all wanking. Boring repetitive runs & sweeps with absolutely no feeling. It bores me.Greg Howe has it all. Most underrated guitarist ever - best in the world, IMO!

I like guitar wanking a lot and I enjoy instrumental music, I've always liked Satriani, Vai, Malmsteem, Michael Angelo Batio etc so I was intrigued when I saw you talk about Greg Howe, I downloaded his first album and I love it, 80s guitar can't be beat! Nice one, cheers.

• Paid Members

Gary Wilson.

Quite a few people know about You Think You Really Know Me, but I think most people then imagine that he was discovered, had a movie made about him, and fucked off back to playing in hotel bands. Actually, he's had a few cracking albums in the 2000s, and I can't get some of his songs out of my head. I think some of the idiosyncracies are a bit forced now (the obsession with Endicott, which he left in the early 80s, and the crushes on various girls), but the music is still awesome, and I don't blame him for using it to get some gravy.

6.4 = Make Out

• Paid Members

Greg Howe.People always shite on about Steve Vai & Joe Satriani, etc as guitar "legends" - those guys have no soul in their playing IMO - it's all wanking. Boring repetitive runs & sweeps with absolutely no feeling. It bores me.Greg Howe has it all. Most underrated guitarist ever - best in the world, IMO!

I like guitar wanking a lot and I enjoy instrumental music, I've always liked Satriani, Vai, Malmsteem, Michael Angelo Batio etc so I was intrigued when I saw you talk about Greg Howe, I downloaded his first album and I love it, 80s guitar can't be beat! Nice one, cheers.
You might like Tony McAlpine too then.

• Paid Members

His 2003 album "Extraction" is my favourite. His early stuff is very fast & modal - sounds very 80s alright (even his 90s stuff, haha) but it does have far more soul than just generic fast metal playing. But then he started getting into metal/jazz fusion - Extracton is a masterpiece of work. Absolutely top quality. My favourite instrumental album ever. It also has Wooten & Chambers, who happen to be my favourite drummer & bassist too...Example: http://youtu.be/XdRnPPNyiBI

Don't agree with this, particularly with Satriani's work after about 1992. All the Mike Varney guys were peddling the same old stuff for years, while Satriani was bringing in electronica, ambient and techno elements, and offsetting it with clean, strong melodies. The Malmsteen-esque infinite legato and overdubs for the sake of it disappeared years ago.

Yeah, I'd agree with that - I was kinda just exaggerating for effect. But I just think Satriani is far too indulgent.

Rory Gallagher

Massively respected amongst his peers, Jimi Hendrix was once asked how it felt to be the the best guitarist in the world and answered "I dunno, ask Rory Gallagher."

Started in the power trio "Taste" and went on to have a long solo career before dying in 1995 at 47. Vastly underrated by the general public, there's about 4 people I know that have even heard of him.

427267017_ed9f55316c.jpg

Edit: Just to fix my links which I fucked up

"Million Miles Away" is my favourite Gallagher song, especially the eleven minute live version, fucking awesome. I find a lot of his studio work a bit flat to be honest, though there's a few I like, 'Out On The Western Plain' and 'Moonchild' especially. He's pretty underrated as you say, though a little rambling. I think he's actually a household name over in Ireland.

• Paid Members
Daniel Johns/Silverchair

kp0qcwhou5fnoh5q.jpg

I grew up on Silverchair. Back in the day when a bunch of us would have house parties and stuff Silverchair were a staple of the soundtrack, it was more Neon Ballroom that everyone was into though.

My personal favourite was Freak Show, i loved that album when it came out. I've still got all the singles from the album too including a 12" of Freak which has some pretty cool art cards.

Thing is with all bands who start out so young it comes a case of the musicians obviously improving and simply being interested in different forms of music. I'm pretty certain that if you played the later Silverchair stuff to a 14 year old Daniel Johns he would hated it. They went on a pretty strange musical voyage but i think they always wrote quality tunes whatever genre they came in.

Got to see em once too, it was around the time of Neon Ballroom, at the Leeds Festival, great stuff.

• Paid Members

...still on Silverchair, i just put on Freak Show for probably the first time in 10 years an what instantly hit was 'this sounds like fucking Helmet', not all of it, but the heavier tunes on the album got Helmet-written all over them. I'd never made that connection in my younger days but i typed in 'Silverchair Helmet' in Google and low and behold all the members of Silverchair are massive fans of Helmet and admitted that the heavy stuff on Freak Show was influenced by Page Hamilton's band.

Nice little nugget of infomation i neer knew. Makes me like Silverchair that little bit more because Helmet are fucking awesome.

• Paid Members

Anberlin

A fairly well known band in the US and Canada but not so well known here. I was first introduced to them by my brother who'd heard a work colleague listening to them.

Their music is pretty decent and have a few albums out.

Unfortunately because my workplace LOVES to block out half the internet, I can't link any videos yet....

but here are some songs I think you should check out.

Feel Good Drag

Impossible

We owe this to ourselves

Adelaide

Inevitable

Down

One of my favourite musicians, and criminally underrated IMO is Mick Collins.

He's a Detroit garage-punk legend but most people I mention him to just shrug.

He started out around the time I was born with the Floor Tasters, went on to be in probably his best known act,

. All his stuff is Garage or Garage-punk with a soul/ R n B feel to it, and it's universally excellent. If you like the punkier side, check out

Since 1996 or so, his main project has been the excellent Dirtbombs. Dirty Rock 'n Roll, everything comes out on lovely, high quality vinyl. Collins just strikes me as one of those guys that will keep doing what he's doing forever, regardless of what anyone else is doing or what they think. Can't praise him enough.

Archived