Bobby Roode is fucking brilliant discussion

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Its a weird one, because Bobby Roode is just great. I wish there was two of him, because I love him as a heel, but I miss him as a babyface. He's wrestlings MVP at the minute for me. Someone who can take the shittest storyline and convince you its credible. He's in career form at the minute. After Bound For Glory, lesser men would have been emotionally broken by getting the rug swept from under him. But he's turned a negative into a big positive. In London, he looked the man. His microphone work has really improved as well.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree that Bobby's still learning on the mic, but he's definitely improving every month, and he's working with guys like Bully Ray who are the best in the business in some respects.

I absolutely agree, and I think that's the reason TNA have stuck Bully with him. Bully's one of the most natural people on the microphone and everything that comes from him sounds believable and real. As Roode learns from this, he'll step up a level and become a genuine big time star

Roode is quality for the most part. Occasionally he gets on my tits when he continuously bangs on about being champion though. He does it in a bitchy way and seems like he's whining.

On the subject of whining. Aj Styles is the worst for that. He comes across as a right whinging cunt in his promos. Fucking hate him.

TNA need some more light-hearted characters that like to have a laugh. Serious is all well and good but it becomes overbearing after a while. I think Daniels is a pretty charismatic face despite not giving a toss about him. He's heel right now right?

Thought I'd resurrect this thread, considering that the overriding feeling looking at all these videos of TNA in London, is of how huge a star Roode is starting to look like.

He looks scarily like HHH nowadays, but in a good way - he has a fucking ripped physique, he walks and moves like he's a big deal, he's good on the mike, his wrestling is par excellence, but also... he just that IT factor. In slomos he has that thing that guys like HHH, The Rock and so on have, where they just look fucking BOSS and larger than life. Like they're being lit better than everyone else.

Do you know what I mean?

Yes - I said this exact thing shortly after he turned heel, and it's apparent both in his look and his push, which I find somewhat reminiscent of Triple H's big breakthrough in late '99 (the one thing TNA are consistently good at is pushing strong heels - I know he's had a couple of cheap wins on the way, but he's still been comparatively protected relative to, say, Orton in the Legacy days).

I think the bloke is the best thing in wrestling today. I'm one of the very few who voted for him as heel of the year - although he only went heel a few months ago, I don't think there's been anyone else who could touch his all-round performance since he did.

I'm also pleased they (i) took the shit lyrics out of his class new music and (ii) put him back in suits. For the wrestler who looks most comfortable in a 3-piece since Evolution folded, it was fucking criminal to have him mincing about in his undercrackers and a t-shirt.

• Paid Members

I haven't been keeping up with TNA, but have they done a proper blow-off match with Storm and Roode yet? I'm hoping not and they're keeping them apart, because that for me could be a massively defining moment for not only both guys but also TNA. Knowing TNA they rush into something like this normally rather than resisting temptation and letting it build further- perhaps someone can fill me in?

And if the Rock likes Roode, you can be sure he's being brought to the WWE's attention. Foley found Punk for them, and I bet he's been singing Roode's praises.

When's Roode's contract up?

• Paid Members

He signed for 5 years in 2009.

"My contract is put away and I've re-signed for five years with TNA," Roode told The Examiner last night.

"I'm very happy about it. They wanted to sign me to a long-term deal. Most contracts are one to three years, but they wanted to keep me around for five. I'm quite pleased."

Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

"Professionally I'm very happy and financially they have put me in a very good spot. I'm happy all the way around," said Roode, who is home visiting his wife Tracy, children Bobby, Riley, Nicholas and parents Bob and Sandy Roode.

Roode, who wrestles as the character Robert Roode, a "financial genius" from Wall Street, said there was a strong desire to remain with the upstart wrestling promotion he joined more than four years ago.

"There was a little bit of interest there (from WWE)," he admitted.

"If TNA didn't step up to the plate, I would have tried a little bit harder (with WWE). I have an agent working for me as well. It was one of those things where my heart wanted to stay here. And TNA wanted me to stay there, too. So they stepped up to the plate and gave me a really nice offer."

I think being a main eventer in TNA for a while will certainly help him. He'll be at an even better calibre by the time he's able to jump ship if he chooses.

He'll also be 37 by the time his TNA contract runs out. WWE signing him at that point seems highly unlikely.

Archived