Bobby Roode is fucking brilliant discussion

IANdrewDiceClay

So the UKFF peace and harmony lasted all of 3 pages, knew it was too good to be true, still probably better than most wrestling forums I bet.I think its total bollocks that he wouldnt cut it in WWE, if WWE gave him the same push as TNA have, with WWE machine behind him, he'd be a massive hit, maybe not all would like him, but the lion share would imo, its what WWE needs a new babyface that people can actually cheer for, namely grown men cheering, something they only do for The Rock and whoever is facing Cena just because they hate Cena that much.I'm quite a jaded old fan, but I don't know what else you could ask for in a babyface in Roode, I'm interested to see who people think is currently better in either WWE or TNA, because I don't see them.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roode is indeed fantastic at the minute, really upping his game to go with the brilliant build from TNA.Personally, I hope they hold off a Storm heel turn for bloody ages. I'd really like Roode and Storm to be like the new Ric and Arn. Sure, at some point there is bound to be a little tension and probably a brief feud, but they should end up back on the same page. It's a cool (and rare) great partnership they have there, and I think it is worth preserving. There are plenty of good heels for Roode, without breaking up Beer Money.

• Paid Members

I'm quite a jaded old fan, but I don't know what else you could ask for in a babyface in Roode, I'm interested to see who people think is currently better in either WWE or TNA, because I don't see them.

A better babyface? I quite like Jeff Hardy at the moment, actually. I'm begging to see him get his moment of redemption, and Hardy versus Angle at BFG would really have been a clincher for me when it comes to watching the show.Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Bobby Roode, I just prefer him as a heel, or as part of Beer Money.

• Paid Members

I'm quite a jaded old fan, but I don't know what else you could ask for in a babyface in Roode, I'm interested to see who people think is currently better in either WWE or TNA, because I don't see them.

A better babyface? I quite like Jeff Hardy at the moment, actually. I'm begging to see him get his moment of redemption, and Hardy versus Angle at BFG would really have been a clincher for me when it comes to watching the show.
How many moments of redemption would that be for junkie cunt Hardy now? That you're advocating Hardy as a better choice for a main event shot over a man who has worked his arse off for years, been a part of the best tag team in the sport for several years, and is widely regarded as one of the most exciting and likable talents in wrestling right now just completely boggles my mind.

• Paid Members

A better babyface? I quite like Jeff Hardy at the moment, actually. I'm begging to see him get his moment of redemption, and Hardy versus Angle at BFG would really have been a clincher for me when it comes to watching the show.
How many moments of redemption would that be for junkie cunt Hardy now? That you're advocating Hardy as a better choice for a main event shot over a man who has worked his arse off for years, been a part of the best tag team in the sport for several years, and is widely regarded as one of the most exciting and likable talents in wrestling right now just completely boggles my mind.
Widely regarded? What exactly are you measuring that on? He's not been part of any "redemption" storylines as of yet, and what they've been doing with him is really working for me. If you read my post I don't advocate him as a better choice, although I do state he's a better babyface. I'm not calling Bobby Roode a bad choice for the title match either.That said, Hardy versus Angle would have worked really well for me personally, and realistically it'd probably be a better draw for their biggest show than the current Angle/Roode match-up.

• Paid Members

Fucking hell! You think Jeff Hardy is good at the minute? His character is a junkie asking for forgiveness in corridors of the Impact Zone. Not exactly Brian Pillman is he? And when the one person who does say "I dont want you in the locker room", he throws a fit and cries about it. He's got zero redeeming qualities. Sure, in a few months the fans might turn around and like him again, but saying "sorry mate" a few weeks after he's just returned isnt going to do it for me.Why anyone on earth would want to see Hardy vs Angle again is beyond me. Especially when the last time Hardy was in a main event he ... well wasnt in the main event was he?

Widely regarded?

Roode widely regarded as a top worker, and will be far better at attracting a buyrate for the audience TNA attracts on their TV than Hardy. This audience has already been burnt by Hardy on PPV. And he's 10 times a better babyface than Hardy in 2011. The casual or smart viewer hasnt seen Bobby Roode's smacked up rodent face on TMZ, and B.Roode doesnt have to get used to the taste of porridge very soon. I know who I'd rather have doing a spot of babysitting for my niece.

• Paid Members

Widely regarded? What exactly are you measuring that on? He's not been part of any "redemption" storylines as of yet, and what they've been doing with him is really working for me. If you read my post I don't advocate him as a better choice, although I do state he's a better babyface. I'm not calling Bobby Roode a bad choice for the title match either.That said, Hardy versus Angle would have worked really well for me personally, and realistically it'd probably be a better draw for their biggest show than the current Angle/Roode match-up.

You said that Angle-Hardy would be a clincher in terms of buying the PPV for you which would presumably mean that you advocate Hardy as a better choice because you would prefer that match?As for the widely regarded part, isn't Roode the most talked about guy surrounding TNA right now? Taking this forum as a microcosm of opinion on TNA, that would appear to be the case.

• Paid Members

Fucking hell! You think Jeff Hardy is good at the minute? His character is a junkie asking for forgiveness in corridors of the Impact Zone. Not exactly Brian Pillman is he? And when the one person who does say "I dont want you in the locker room", he throws a fit and cries about it. He's got zero redeeming qualities. Sure, in a few months the fans might turn around and like him again, but saying "sorry mate" a few weeks after he's just returned isnt going to do it for me.Why anyone on earth would want to see Hardy vs Angle again is beyond me. Especially when the last time Hardy was in a main event he ... well wasnt in the main event was he?

I think there's a good opportunity to build an almost Eddie Guerrero-esque storyline around him. It's fair to say he probably should have a stew around a bit longer to prove he's clean, but I do think there's a huge opportunity with this guy, who, despite being a huge star anyway, can potentially have fans clamouring to see him win the big one once more.

He is widely regarded as a top worker, and will be far better at attracting a buyrate for the audience TNA attracts on their TV than Hardy. This audience has already been burnt by Hardy on PPV. And he's 10 times a better babyface than Hardy in 2011. The casual or smart viewer hasnt seen Bobby Roode's smacked up rodent face on TMZ, and B.Roode doesnt have to get used to the taste of porridge very soon.

I didn't say Roode wasn't widely regarded as a top worker. This is the line I was disputing:

and is widely regarded as one of the most exciting and likable talents in wrestling right now

And I didn't dispute Roode's merit of a place in the main event.

You said that Angle-Hardy would be a clincher in terms of buying the PPV for you which would presumably mean that you advocate Hardy as a better choice because you would prefer that match?

For me. That's subjective. I think Hardy probably could pop a better buyrate, but ultimately that's just speculative.

• Paid Members

I think there's a good opportunity to build an almost Eddie Guerrero-esque storyline around him. It's fair to say he probably should have a stew around a bit longer to prove he's clean, but I do think there's a huge opportunity with this guy, who, despite being a huge star anyway, can potentially have fans clamouring to see him win the big one once more.

Eddie Guerrero was a reformed character both outside and inside the ring. People liked him. Hardy's never went to rehab and he's about to do 10 days in prison. Also, there wasnt footage of Guerrero fucking the fans on PPV with that horrid unforgivable disrespect he showed Sting a few months back. Why should the fans give a fuck about Hardy?

And I didn't dispute Roode's merit of a place in the main event.

You did dispute who was a better babyface though. This isnt even up for debate. Hardy's level of fuck ups have broke the mainstream. The mainstream fans might not know who Bobby Roode is, but they do know that Jeff Hardy isnt someone you want round your house this Christmas. Roode gives you it on the mic and in the ring. People like him, his peers like him and his bosses like him. Hardy's a fucking dweeb who's fucked up at least twice a year since 2002. He's not reformed, his track record has showed this. When the best thing anyone can say about you is that your not Matt Hardy, then that says it all.

For me. That's subjective. I think Hardy probably could pop a better buyrate, but ultimately that's just speculative.

Why didnt he then? He isnt just debuting. He's been wrestling on PPV for TNA the last 18 months. Roode vs Angle will deliver in terms of in ring action 50 times better than Angle vs Hardy would. Hogan and Sting will deliver saddos like me who have convinced themselves the star power of the two alone will not make it Halloween Havoc 98 level quality. And I thought you said they could do a Guerrero style reformation of Hardy? Its a week away. Unless he comes out to Living Doll and does a Cliff Richards gimmick, that isnt going to wash.

• Paid Members

You did dispute who was a better babyface though. This isnt even up for debate.

For God's sake, Ian. Of course it is. Hardy's been the biggest babyface in wrestling. If I wanted to make a case for him being the better babyface, it wouldn't be difficult.

Eddie Guerrero was a reformed character both outside and inside the ring. People liked him. Hardy's never went to rehab and he's about to do 10 days in prison. Also, there wasnt footage of Guerrero fucking the fans on PPV with that horrid unforgivable disrespect he showed Sting a few months back. Why should the fans give a fuck about Hardy?

It's not a case of "why should they"? It's a case of whether they do or do not. Judging by some of the reactions he's had, they clearly do. It's not like he's killed someone: he's an (or, hopefully, was an) addict. He's had problems, and that's something people can relate to and get behind from a storyline perspective.

Why didnt he then? He isnt just debuting. He's been wrestling on PPV for TNA the last 18 months. Roode vs Angle will deliver in terms of in ring action 50 times better than Angle vs Hardy would. Hogan and Sting will deliver saddos like me who have convinced themselves the star power of the two allow will not make it Halloween Havoc 98 level quality. And I thought you said they could do a Guerrero style reformation of Hardy? Its two weeks away. Unless he comes out to Living Doll and does a Cliff Richards gimmick, that isnt going to wash.

Oh come on, everything during his TNA face run was made to look like an afterthought. His debut was weak, his loitering about with Shannon Moore was terrible, and he was never treated like the huge star that he is. It would only make sense that he wouldn't contribute to a buyrate. If he was treated as a big star, and given a big match I'd suggest his return to PPV could have given the company better than normal PPV figures.

• Paid Members

You did dispute who was a better babyface though. This isnt even up for debate.

For God's sake, Ian. Of course it is. Hardy's been the biggest babyface in wrestling. If I wanted to make a case for him being the better babyface, it wouldn't be difficult.
Have a go then. Jack Brisco was a far better babyface than John Cena is. Go ask THE CURRENT audience what they think of Brisco now. Not 1972, not 1985, 1998, but in 2011. Now apply the same logic to Hardy. Why would TNA's audience care about Hardy now? They barely did before he embarrassed himself of PPV. In TNA, you can fuck up with the casual audience, no bother, because they hardly watch. But Hardy fucked TNA's core paying audience.You know the one difference between Hardy and Roode which makes Roode the better babyface, and the one thing that will always bite you in your dispute? Roode makes the towns and you can guarentee you will get Roode on every show working as hard as he did on the last one. Can you guarentee Hardy will do that?

Judging by some of the reactions he's had, they clearly do.

Have pops replaced heat now then? Just because you get a good reaction doesnt mean much. If they did, my point of Roode being a better babyface would be far easier.

Oh come on, everything during his TNA face run was made to look like an afterthought. His debut was weak, his loitering about with Shannon Moore was terrible, and he was never treated like the huge star that he is. It would only make sense that he wouldn't contribute to a buyrate. If he was treated as a big star, and given a big match I'd suggest his return to PPV could have given the company better than normal PPV figures.

Why would TNA treat him like a big star when he proved that he isnt a big star. Big stars show up and put the graft in. Hogan, Nash, Steiner, Foley: when this lot made their money, got high and couldnt be arsed anymore, they still showed up. He's lucky TNA has given him another chance as it is. TNA was always looking over their shoulder than the judges hammer was about to come down and send him off to for a stretch, so their hands were always tied with him. Your excuses making is laughable.

• Paid Members

he's from a completely different era

Well ... exactly. Thats my point. The example is definitely relevant if read what I'm saying. Just because fans THOUGHT someone was a good babyface, doesn't mean they now THINK he'll be a good one in 2011. Hardy's reputation has been rolled in dirt and pissed on. The fact his current character is that he's a junkie looking for acceptance shows that this bloke is beyond repair with the TNA audience. What message would it send out to the fans, a potential audience and the wrestlers themselves if he suddenly became the top babyface again? He's a liability. It isn't 2008 anymore. You can make a lot of small mistakes, but Hardy has now went to Scott Hall/Jake Roberts level. If you are booked to regain the world title, yet turn up fucked off your head and put the company in a position where you cancel all his upcoming appearances and rob them of a main event, there isnt much you can do with that.

What are you disputing here exactly? My opinion?

I imagine so. I've forgot what your opinion is. You've went from saying Bobby Roode is better as a heel (which just isnt true at all), to suggesting Jeff Hardy should team up with the Shadows and play mixed doubles with Sue Barker.

• Paid Members

he's from a completely different era

Well ... exactly. Thats my point. The example is definitely relevant if read what I'm saying. Just because fans THOUGHT someone was a good babyface, doesn't mean they now THINK he'll be a good one in 2011. Hardy's reputation has been rolled in dirt and pissed on. The fact his current character is that he's a junkie looking for acceptance shows that this bloke is beyond repair with the TNA audience. What message would it send out to the fans, a potential audience and the wrestlers themselves if he suddenly became the top babyface again? He's a liability. It isn't 2008 anymore. You can make a lot of small mistakes, but Hardy has now went to Scott Hall/Jake Roberts level. If you are booked to regain the world title, yet turn up fucked off your head and put the company in a position where you cancel all his upcoming appearances and rob them of a main event, there isnt much you can do with that.

What are you disputing here exactly? My opinion?

I imagine so. I've forgot what your opinion is. You've went from saying Bobby Roode is better as a heel (which just isnt true at all), to suggesting Jeff Hardy should team up with the Shadows and play mixed doubles with Sue Barker.
Then why are you replying? You have some good points when you post, Ian, but it's lost under a load of tedious dross. It's all 'my opinion is more right than yours', and then 'MY OPINION IS MORE RIGHT THAN YOURS'.

Archived