Bobby Roode is fucking brilliant discussion

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I feel in the mood to force him to write a lengthy attempt at an argument though. At least make him work for his trolling.

Come on Dingo, show us what you've got. I don't mean your penis.

It all depends on who the said wrestler is, for some being in the WWE would be the right move however there are others such as Bobby Roode who may be perfectly happy where they are and have no interest in going to the WWE.

WWE may be the number one brand in wrestling but it is not necessary the only place where wrestlers can go to make a success for themselves.

I'm more than happy for Roode to stay in TNA. He's probably my favourite performer in wrestling right now, and I'd much rather see him stay where he's properly used and treated as a genuine star than see him pissing about for ten minutes a week in a feud with Kofi Kingston.

It may not be fair to compare him to Braden Walker and Monty Brown, but I look at someone like Christian as a closer comparison - TNA made him look like a bonafide headliner, and played to his strengths to the extent that he was one of the most entertaining acts in wrestling in 2007/8. In the WWE, he's just another paint-by-numbers chickenshit heel. I'm not saying the WWE have anything to gain by pushing him as more than that, but for my personal tastes as a wrestling fan, give me Christian Cage during his Instant Classic period over a million Mark Henrys, John Cenas and Mizs. It's like Andy Carroll going from Newcastle to Liverpool - yes, he was going to a better team and a bigger club, but he's become less than half the player in the process because he's not important enough to the new club for them to play to his strengths.

I feel in the mood to force him to write a lengthy attempt at an argument though. At least make him work for his trolling.

Come on Dingo, show us what you've got. I don't mean your penis.

IwXyT.gif

• 1 month later...

So, how do people think Bobby Roode's championship run is going?

Personally, I've really enjoyed it and he's been producing great matches, but I do think he's shown too much ass, as it were. He's also been slightly obscured by the emerging brilliance of Bully Ray. He's come on leaps and bounds with his promos now, though. He reminds me of where Angle was after his first reign - still not completely established as a permanent main eventer, but now a proven hand at the very least.

I reckon pt 2 of his feud with Storm should be excellent though, and really looking forward to their PPV match. I'd quite like to see a gimmick attached, as we've seen them tangle a lot recently.

• Paid Members
I reckon pt 2 of his feud with Storm should be excellent though, and really looking forward to their PPV match. I'd quite like to see a gimmick attached, as we've seen them tangle a lot recently.

Like a cage match? :laugh:

• Paid Members

Roode is one of the best things in TNA currently, He looks like a million dollars, is great on the mic, and overall if a top level guy. His title reign has been very good, and in all rights is doing the TNA title some good as it changed hands that many times before he got hold of it (Hardy,Anderson,Hardy,Sting,Anderson,Angle,Storm all had a run last year was it before Roode won it).

To be honest, as good as he is, he of course only really can improve, although I personally think TNA cant really offer him anything else in the coming years, and it may be worth him looking at WWE for future progression.

Like a cage match? :laugh:

Is it Lockdown? Whoops :laugh: Shows I'm some way behind with my TNA viewing, still need to see the weekend's PPV.

His title reign has been fucking awful. And it's not his fault either. He's not won a single match clean yet. Not a single one. It's alright having a chickenshit champion, but if he's the focus of your shows, he's need to have some threat at least. It's not like TNA do any squash matches for him to just win cleanly.

He looks incredible, his promo's have come on leaps and bounds, he can go in the ring, but TNA portray him as inferior to just about everyone. AJ Styles he held his tights, Jeff Hardy he got intentionally disqualified against then only won becaue Kurt Angle interfered, hell he only won the title in the first place because he smashed Storm with the beer bottle. And then there's this Sting debacle, where Roode only won because Sting fucking knocked himself out, nothing Roode did.

It's a real shame, I love TNA, and James Storm is probably my favourite act in wrestling at the moment, but if he does beat Roode at Lockdown, it'll just be seen as ahh finally, Roode couldnt cheat so he lost. Rather than that great babyface moment of dethroing a dominant champion.

I like TNA as well so it's not just TNA bashing, but they;ve booked Roode terribly, it's ok cheating to win now and again, but he's done it all the time, so much so that when he does finally lose the title, a lot of his credibility will be lost too, and it'll be hard to get that back.

• Paid Members

"Terrible" is a very strong word, considering what positives come out of this reign. His whole deal is that he could go that extra mile if he wanted to, but he doesnt want to. Roode won matches clean all the time for years, and where did that get him? He keeps stressing that. He beat everyone clean leading up to Bound for Glory and Angle cheated him out of his world title win. So now its his turn to fuck with people. The finishes to Roode's matches could be better, but thats the case for everyone in TNA's history. The road agents are shite. During this title reign, the doubts over whether he could cut big time promos are now gone. He carries himself like a proper star. He's joined the main event bracket, which is great for TNA. If you watch Impact every week, he stands out from the pack. TNA's writers have done him a great service, but the road agents have given him (and everyone else) rotten finishes. Thats just how it goes, I'm affraid.

The fact is, nobody draws in TNA. You cant compare him to anyone else from the past, because the days of upping the ratings or increasing the buyrates are long dead for TNA, until they regain the trust of the buying public (which might take ages if ever). Batista would do the same business as Roode would. The only thing you can really ask of the performer is to come across as a bigger star than he previous came across as. And Roode has done that over the last couple of months. He's a special wrestler.

He is, but he needs to win some matches cleanly. He says he doesnt need to go the extra mile, that's all well and good, but if he ends up losing the belt clean to James Storm at Lockdown, then it'll show he wasnt able to go further, and he'd have lost the World title without ever winning a title match clean.

It seems like TNA is setting up the Storm win at Lockdown, with it being in Nashville, finally getting his hands on Roode etc, so coming out of it Roode is going to be damaged. Yes, he seems better on the promo front since he won the belt, and there's no doubt he's an incredible wrestler, but fans arent going to see Roode as a big time player if he never beats anyone fairly. His whole reign has been him getting lucky, he's seen as someone who cheated to win the belt, and has been set to lose the belt in every single match since, but has cheated to retain.

Against Jeff Hardy they made it clear Hardy had the belt won on numerous occasions, same with the AJ Styles match really, but moreso Hardy, i just fear for how he's percieved after Lockdown.

I can't see how fans watching can see Roode as a threat if it's in a fair fight, if his whole gimmick is cheating to win, then when he's put in a position where he can't cheat, people will naturally assume he loses, and that's whats going to happen at Lockdown.

Victory Road was the perfect chance for Roode to get a massive clean win to head onto Lockdown, instead TNA made it even worse by making it clear Sting was going to win until he knocked himself out. They never made it look like Roode had a chance in the match.

I just feel they could have got so much more out of Roode's reign. It's odd as well, becaue TNA are good at getting their heels over and winning effectively, something that WWE doesnt do. But with Roode, they've not made him look like a credible champion, whichever way you look at it, Roode has fluked his way to keeping the belt.

I agree that he needs to start winning clean, even though he's a heel. That's why he reminds me of Angle - it wasn't until Angle started really beating people, cleanly, that he was cemented as a main eventer. And that happened after his first title run, funnily enough.

I may be in the minority here, then, because I think he's looked really strong as a champion - as strong as any heel ever gets to look these days, anyway. I've brought up this comparison before, but I'll keep doing it because the title run reminds me more and more of Triple H's first proper main event push the longer it goes on. Alienating everyone on the roster (including his supposed allies), looking out for nobody but himself, feuding with (and outwitting) a babyface authority figure, and always finding a way to come out on top.

We can also find comparisons with that run in the finishes - IIRC, Triple H beat Foley for the title after Shane McMahon interfered, beat The Rock in the next show after Shawn Michaels superkicked him, won the 6-Pack Challenge at Unforgiven after the British Bulldog hit Rock with a chair, and beat Austin at No Mercy after Rock accidentally hit him with a sledgehammer. Screwy finishes in all the big matches, and yet he came out of it in my mind looking a lot stronger and more credible as a champion. Roode's run strikes the same chord for me - one way or another, he's found a way to beat all the big guns, even with Sting ostensibly stacking the deck against him. In fact, I think the only major difference from the Triple H title run is he hasn't been going over with a single, recognisable finisher after the interference - it's the one thing missing from his arsenal as a genuine main eventer. Having said that, he's made AJ Styles tap and beaten Jeff Hardy with a spear, so it's not been entirely tainted.

Archived