Booking challenge: Make Daniel Bryan credible again.

Fatty Facesitter

Ziggler and Miz generally have good matches anyway, Ziggler especially. I'll give you Ted Dibiase though as he's probably the only person on the main roster with less charisma than Bryan.

I said ROH-style matches. I didn't specifically mean ROH, just workrate obsessed crowds who don't care if the wrestler is actually likeable as a character or not.

To take credit away from him for those matches with Ziggler and Miz is very harsh, it's the same as when people downplay Cena's role in any top match he's had eg. Money in the bank with CM Punk

I think he showed quite a lot of charisma on the indies. The air plane spin, the "I have til 5 referee" these were all things that got over. I mean anyone that saw him heeling up in the tag match on the NOAH show at the Skydome will tell you he pretty much had the audience eating out of his hands in the way he was avoiding KENTA through the first part of the match. Those things were nothing to do with 'workrate' or 'movez'.

And how much of that charisma has he brought to WWE?. None.

On the very few occasions where he's been instructed to get angry, aggressive and determined (when he stood up to first Cole, then The Miz) he has delivered very believable, engrossing, impassioned promos that got the crowd worked up and desperate to see him get his hands on his opponent. Unfortunately most of the time he is told to play the "ordinary guy" role, which means seeming a little boring in comparison to others. He hasn't yet had the opportunity to show off any of his great heel work.

Anyway, charisma doesn't mean "cool/funny promos" it means the ability to get a connection with an audience. Bryan is a master of that and plays a fantastic underdog face, that's exactly the reason his matches with Miz and Ziggler were brilliant and he made a normally bored-shitless crowd enjoy a couple of Ted Dibiase matches.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
You're talking bollocks. Before they stuck him with those dumb twins on Raw, he was outstanding. He was having ace matches every week, the crowd were into him, his angles with Michael Cole were excellent and he showed great aggression. He's charismatic in the ring. He's never, ever boring.

Even since he's been on Smackdown and they've done nack all with him, he guarantees a good match every week. He's a cracking hand. He'll never be The Rock but who cares, he's a great asset.

And jesus wept, "workrate obsessed crowds". Who's bollocks are you licking now? They guy's shown he appeals to the bag of revels that make up the WWE crowd. He's not anywhere near as one dimensional as you're pretending.

How long ago was his stuff with Michael Cole?. That's not even worth bringing up at this point, because showing a bit of intensity for a few weeks over a year ago doesn't really matter does it?.

He hasn't been with the Bella twins for absolutely ages either, and the story he had with them at least showed a bit of character until they ballsed it all up with that virginity finish.

Being a great asset isn't the same as being charismatic or important to the company either. Yeah he might have technically sound matches with people, but so can Tyson Kidd, and just like Tyson Kidd, if Daniel Bryan was released tomorrow nobody would really be arsed at all and he'd be an afterthought in a few weeks.

He's nowhere near as intense or as exciting as he was as part of Nexus or when he first started, and he's possibly the only Money in the Bank holder nobody gives two shits about.

Whether it's being on Smackdown that's killed him, I don't know, but I've yet to see anything that would back up all this "best wrestler in the world" stuff.

You're talking bollocks. Before they stuck him with those dumb twins on Raw, he was outstanding. He was having ace matches every week, the crowd were into him, his angles with Michael Cole were excellent and he showed great aggression. He's charismatic in the ring. He's never, ever boring.

Even since he's been on Smackdown and they've done nack all with him, he guarantees a good match every week. He's a cracking hand. He'll never be The Rock but who cares, he's a great asset.

And jesus wept, "workrate obsessed crowds". Who's bollocks are you licking now? They guy's shown he appeals to the bag of revels that make up the WWE crowd. He's not anywhere near as one dimensional as you're pretending.

How long ago was his stuff with Michael Cole?. That's not even worth bringing up at this point, because showing a bit of intensity for a few weeks over a year ago doesn't really matter does it?.

He hasn't been with the Bella twins for absolutely ages either, and the story he had with them at least showed a bit of character until they ballsed it all up with that virginity finish.

Being a great asset isn't the same as being charismatic or important to the company either. Yeah he might have technically sound matches with people, but so can Tyson Kidd, and just like Tyson Kidd, if Daniel Bryan was released tomorrow nobody would really be arsed at all and he'd be an afterthought in a few weeks.

He's nowhere near as intense or as exciting as he was as part of Nexus or when he first started, and he's possibly the only Money in the Bank holder nobody gives two shits about.

Whether it's being on Smackdown that's killed him, I don't know, but I've yet to see anything that would back up all this "best wrestler in the world" stuff.

Jack Swagger?

Swagger only had the Money in the Bank for two shows. The first show, he did the first ever "I'm cashing in -- oh shit, he's getting up, nevermind, I'll leave it" angle. The second show, he cashed in and won the title. So Swagger was fairly interesting when he had the case.

• Paid Members

So he's got no charisma but stop pointing out examples because they don't count for some reason.

He's shit at "non-ROH style" matches except the loads of examples given but they don't count either for some reason.

Being a great asset doesn't make him an asset for some reason.

he's possibly the only Money in the Bank holder nobody gives two shits about.

Which is 0% his fault.

• Paid Members
So he's got no charisma but stop pointing out examples because they don't count for some reason.

He's shit at "non-ROH style" matches except the loads of examples given but they don't count either for some reason.

Being a great asset doesn't make him an asset for some reason.

he's possibly the only Money in the Bank holder nobody gives two shits about.

Which is 0% his fault.

You mean those examples from over a year ago you gave? Yeah, I'd say they don't mean a thing at all considering we're talking about Daniel Bryan now, and not a handful of matches Daniel Bryan 2010 had.

An asset is someone like Val Venis, or William Regal. Someone the fans love/hate who can put on a solid match most the time. Daniel Bryan might be solid, but like I said, so is Tyson Kidd.

0% his fault is bollocks too, but as people like Zack Ryder and even to some extent Ted Dibiase have shown, even if you do fuck all on TV you can still show a bit of character and get the fans behind you by other means. Just because he's on a losing streak doesn't mean there isn't a dozen other ways to get himself over as the No.1 Contender.

Swagger only had the Money in the Bank for two shows. The first show, he did the first ever "I'm cashing in -- oh shit, he's getting up, nevermind, I'll leave it" angle. The second show, he cashed in and won the title. So Swagger was fairly interesting when he had the case.

Actually that's a fair point. I think it was just his title reign, and the months before he won the briefcase that people didn't care about.

• Paid Members
You mean those examples from over a year ago you gave? Yeah, I'd say they don't mean a thing at all considering we're talking about Daniel Bryan now, and not a handful of matches Daniel Bryan 2010 had.

We're talking about his ability and giving plenty of examples of it. Wow, they were a whole fucking year ago so he's obviously forgotten since then, right? Er, no, he's capable, they just aren't doing anything with him.

0% his fault is bollocks too, but as people like Zack Ryder and even to some extent Ted Dibiase have shown, even if you do fuck all on TV you can still show a bit of character and get the fans behind you by other means. Just because he's on a losing streak doesn't mean there isn't a dozen other ways to get himself over as the No.1 Contender.

People don't buy him as a world title challenger because before and since the MITB match, he's taken part in matches that don't matter. He needs rebuilding on TV in front of the audience. He's supposed to fight for the title at WrestleMania and your wonderful examples for him are a jabroni and the most boring wrestler on the planet? Yeah right.

• Paid Members

I think people saying Bryan has no charisma and is boring is a case of WWE fucking up a potentially great asset. People don't care about him because they've made him the uncoolest man alive, it would be one thing if he was allowed to have his say on the matter, or had someone with the wit to stick up for him on commentary, but he just continues on like nothings happening. Almost accepting the fact that what Cole is saying is true. WWE have Mark Henry portrayed as a monster and people believe he is indeed a monster, WWE tell the public Bryan is a boring geek and people believe he is a boring geek.

Bryan isn't Hulk Hogan, but if WWE could be arsed anymore they could have made him a modern day Bret Hart. If Bret Hart came along now he'd probably get the same treatment as Bryan.

It's a shame, really, because Bryan is exactly what WWE needs at the minute, what with workers like Jericho and Michaels gone and Triple H and Undertaker working part-time. He proved last summer that if WWE give him the ball he can make a big contribution to the quality of their product.

• Paid Members
He proved last summer that if WWE give him the ball he can make a big contribution to the quality of their product.

That was a year ago. IT DIDN'T HAPPEN. **PUTS FINGERS IN EARS** NA, NA, NA, NA, NA, NA.....

Yeah, what's Captain Beefheart done in the past year?! He's well shite.

• Moderators
He proved last summer that if WWE give him the ball he can make a big contribution to the quality of their product.

That was a year ago. IT DIDN'T HAPPEN. **PUTS FINGERS IN EARS** NA, NA, NA, NA, NA, NA.....

Dunno. I thought his death was tremendous. Certainly MOTY quality. *****

• Paid Members

Dunno. I thought his death was tremendous. Certainly MOTY quality. *****

The selling was tremendous, I'll give you that.

I think people saying Bryan has no charisma and is boring is a case of WWE fucking up a potentially great asset. People don't care about him because they've made him the uncoolest man alive, it would be one thing if he was allowed to have his say on the matter, or had someone with the wit to stick up for him on commentary, but he just continues on like nothings happening. Almost accepting the fact that what Cole is saying is true. WWE have Mark Henry portrayed as a monster and people believe he is indeed a monster, WWE tell the public Bryan is a boring geek and people believe he is a boring geek.

Shite-talking heel commentator Michael Cole calling Bryan a boring geek is more likely to convince people it isn't true.

• Paid Members

Shite-talking heel commentator Michael Cole calling Bryan a boring geek is more likely to convince people it isn't true.

Well the evidence suggest otherwise. As I said, it would work if Bryan was allowed to have a voice but he just wrestles Cody Rhodes instead.

Archived