Booking challenge: Make Daniel Bryan credible again.

Fatty Facesitter

It's probably too close to WrestleMania now for my scenario to play out, but i'll say it anyway.Back when Regal was endorsing Bryan last year, it gave me an idea for an angle between the two.Basically, Bryan wins a match, out comes Regal, he gives his speech about how Bryan reminds him of himself etc, but he says he wants to beat Bryan. He wants to prove himself etc, make it a friendly rivalry to begin with, but obviously both men really want to beat each other, Regal so he knows he can still go, and Bryan so he can prove himself to be better than Regal.Leads to a PPV match, we'll say this happens in time for Survivor Series, Regal manages to beat Bryan. They do the whole handshake deal after. On SmackDown, Bryan is a little more pissed, he wants another match, we still try and keep the friendly feel to it though, they have a match and Regal ends up getting the win again, after the match Bryan is notably frustrated, but he shakes his hand again.Week after they team up, Bryan ends up getting pinned, he seems like he;s distracted etc, Regal gets in his face asking whats up, Bryan says he keeps goig over in his head how Regal has beat him, he knows he can beat Regal etc, he challenges Regal to another match, we'll say TLC, Bryan wants 2 out of 3 falls to make up for the 2 wins Regal has had. Regal cautiously accepts, saying if it means that much to him etc, so they shake hands again, im tryig to maintain the friendly feel but Bryan's frustration growing.So we go to TLC, Regal takes the first fall with a roll up, Bryan gets up smiles, know hes been had etc, but at this point, he snaps, like proper snaps, he keeps kicking Regal as he does, but he doest stop, just kick kick kick etc, Regal is fucked at this point, can't defend himself etc, but it doesnt stop Bryan he just keeps going, he ends up getting the fall and the next one cause Regal is out, maybe have Regal bleed if its possible. So Bryan wins 2-1. After the match he picks Regal up and beats the fuck out of him.Next week on SD! he says its a new Daniel Bryan etc, the friendly, hand shaking Bryan is gone, it's all about attitude, reminds the fans he has MITB etc, he ends up saying he'll enter the Rumble as well, he just wants to cause destruction to as many people as he can.In the weeks leading up to Rumble have Bryan beat the fuck out of a few jobbers, have him get some credible beat downs too, say Zack Ryder, Santino, throw in a beat down on Hornswoggle and Booker T to get him some heat on popular babyfaces.Cut to the Rumble with Bryan, Regal ends up returning, so its been like 4 weeks since TLC that we saw Regal, he ends up eliminating Bryan and himself, and they brawl.Weel after on SD! Regal is raging, wants another match, Bryan doesnt back down and says he'll face Regal one more time if he puts his career on the line, an enraged Regal agree's.So at Elimination Chamber, Bryan ends up beating Regal, beating the fuck out of him in the process. As Regal retires, Bryan beats him down again.Then after that have Bryan go into full WrestleMania mode, will obviously work beter if someone like Orton is the champ going in, but I think this sort of Daniel Bryan would really get over. Would mesh well at WrestleMania against an Orton or Sheamus type as well.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bryan so he can prove himself to be better than Regal.

What in the world? Bryan would gain very little WrestleMania main event credibility from proving himself better than a bloke who has done naff all for three years except job on C-shows and commentate on NXT. Perhaps John Morrison can become a main-eventer by wanting to prove himself to be better than JTG as well.A Bryan-Regal feud is fine and dandy, but messing around with that for months is well below the level Bryan should be aiming for if he's to become a legitimate world champion by April (or even July, when his twelve months runs out).

Well yeah, like I said its probably too close to WrestleMania now for that feud to happen, but I think it could have worked had it started earlier, at least with the end result being a Bryan full fledged psycho heel turn.Had there been more time we could have maybe had some Regal video packages about how he wants one last run etc, have them show highlights from his career, have some talking heads big up Regal etc before he comes to challenge Bryan, play up the similar styles between Regal and Bryan, all that sort of thing. It's too close to Mania now admittedly, if thats what we're aiming to be ready for, but the whole angle could sort Bryan out I reckon.

Probably crap but what the hell.Basically, I'd have Bryan continuing in this manner until Survivor Series. He can beat someone like Wade Barrett and claim to be back on his road to Wrestlemania. Come December and John Laurinitus comes to Smackdown and tells Daniel Bryan that the Money in the Bank is designed to pick the future Champions of WWE, and after several meetings with WWE management he has decided Bryan is not the future. Thereby, he is using a technical by-law of the Money in the Bank ladder match being designed for six particpants not eight to revoke the MITB briefcase and Bryan's World title shot. Bryan gets pissed, kills Michael Cole (not literally) and vows to win the Rumble. He gets put in number one and out lasts all of the other competitors (lastly elminating someone like Christian or Del Rio), Laurnitius declares that Bryan will be forced to put the Title shot on the line in Elimination Chamber. Bryan does this and has to eliminate three of the competitors. After the Chamber Mark Henry comes out and destroys Bryan putting him through the table. In the weeks running up to Wrestlemania, Mark Henry basically shows how he's beaten Orton, Big Show, Kane and others, while Bryan has had to scrap by the last year. Plus Bryan is put in several matches against the likes of Wade Barrett, Sheamus, Big Show and Christian. Each time, Bryan just manages to win and Mark Henry then comes out and destroys him. The second to last week before Wrestlemania Henry and Bryan have a face to face confrontation which as you'd imagine ends with Henry kicking the crap out of Bryan, running him into the ring post and WSS through the table. The last week, Bryan has one last passionate promo and Henry comes out again, except Bryan meets him coming down and the two brawl up the aisle. This ends when Henry goes to squash Bryan up against the screen but Bryan moves and hits a running kick sending Henry off the stage through some tables. Bryan stands tall over Henry has the last scene of Smackdown. It's a bit involved.

I'd have Ryan roll up Henry for a non-title win, Henry Murder him to oblivion. Henry carries the belt to Royal Rumble where Bryan re-appears as Number 30 in the Rumble and wins, have Henry beat him at 'Mania earlier on in the show only for Henry to come out during Rock vs. Cena and say he is the real champion of WWE for the Rock and Cena to lay him out where Bryan then comes down and cashes MITB in and pins Henry and then go down the road of a Cena/Henry/Bryan 3 way feud for the new Undisputed champion of the Supershows.

• Paid Members

He doesn't deserve to be champion of any show. I'd have him lose his cash-in. He's plain, charisma-less, and aside from a dropkick and a crossface I couldn't name any of his other moves.He might be the best wrestler in the world (apparently) but in WWE he's a nobody, whether that's because he's not being allowed to shine or whether he's just shit at doing non-ROH style matches I don't know, but at this point in time he shouldn't even be Mr MITB, nevermind a champion.

He doesn't deserve to be champion of any show. I'd have him lose his cash-in. He's plain, charisma-less, and aside from a dropkick and a crossface I couldn't name any of his other moves.

He might be the best wrestler in the world (apparently) but in WWE he's a nobody, whether that's because he's not being allowed to shine or whether he's just shit at doing non-ROH style matches I don't know, but at this point in time he shouldn't even be Mr MITB, nevermind a champion.

Him being bland or boring aside, I'm not sure how you can really criticise his match quality in WWE, it's certainly better than most.

His matches with Ziggler and the Miz were outstanding.

He doesn't deserve to be champion of any show. I'd have him lose his cash-in. He's plain, charisma-less, and aside from a dropkick and a crossface I couldn't name any of his other moves.

He might be the best wrestler in the world (apparently) but in WWE he's a nobody, whether that's because he's not being allowed to shine or whether he's just shit at doing non-ROH style matches I don't know, but at this point in time he shouldn't even be Mr MITB, nevermind a champion.

Most of Danielson's matches weren't in ROH.

Him being bland or boring aside, I'm not sure how you can really criticise his match quality in WWE, it's certainly better than most.

His matches with Ziggler and the Miz were outstanding.

his matches with Ziggler and Miz were very good as was his work with DiBiase... probably the last good match Ted had

• Paid Members

Ziggler and Miz generally have good matches anyway, Ziggler especially. I'll give you Ted Dibiase though as he's probably the only person on the main roster with less charisma than Bryan.

I said ROH-style matches. I didn't specifically mean ROH, just workrate obsessed crowds who don't care if the wrestler is actually likeable as a character or not.

Ziggler and Miz generally have good matches anyway, Ziggler especially. I'll give you Ted Dibiase though as he's probably the only person on the main roster with less charisma than Bryan.

I said ROH-style matches. I didn't specifically mean ROH, just workrate obsessed crowds who don't care if the wrestler is actually likeable as a character or not.

To take credit away from him for those matches with Ziggler and Miz is very harsh, it's the same as when people downplay Cena's role in any top match he's had eg. Money in the bank with CM Punk

I think he showed quite a lot of charisma on the indies. The air plane spin, the "I have til 5 referee" these were all things that got over. I mean anyone that saw him heeling up in the tag match on the NOAH show at the Skydome will tell you he pretty much had the audience eating out of his hands in the way he was avoiding KENTA through the first part of the match. Those things were nothing to do with 'workrate' or 'movez'.

• Paid Members

To take credit away from him for those matches with Ziggler and Miz is very harsh, it's the same as when people downplay Cena's role in any top match he's had eg. Money in the bank with CM Punk

I think he showed quite a lot of charisma on the indies. The air plane spin, the "I have til 5 referee" these were all things that got over. I mean anyone that saw him heeling up in the tag match on the NOAH show at the Skydome will tell you he pretty much had the audience eating out of his hands in the way he was avoiding KENTA through the first part of the match. Those things were nothing to do with 'workrate' or 'movez'.

And how much of that charisma has he brought to WWE?. None.

• Paid Members

You're talking bollocks. Before they stuck him with those dumb twins on Raw, he was outstanding. He was having ace matches every week, the crowd were into him, his angles with Michael Cole were excellent and he showed great aggression. He's charismatic in the ring. He's never, ever boring.

Even since he's been on Smackdown and they've done nack all with him, he guarantees a good match every week. He's a cracking hand. He'll never be The Rock but who cares, he's a great asset.

And jesus wept, "workrate obsessed crowds". Who's bollocks are you licking now? They guy's shown he appeals to the bag of revels that make up the WWE crowd. He's not anywhere near as one dimensional as you're pretending.

And how much of that charisma has he brought to WWE?. None.

Clearly I was addressing your implication that he only got over with "workrate obsessed crowds who don't care if the wrestler is actually likeable as a character or not" by pointing out that he didn't just get over due to his work rate. And I think he has shown flashes of charisma, the stuff with Michael Cole in NXT, but I never said he has shown a lot of it (He hasn't had much of an opportunity to be fair)

My point was that it was of harsh to criticise his ring work no matter how bland or boring you think he is. His match quality is consistently better than most of the roster.

Archived