The Political Compass

Halitosis Romantic

Interesting quiz. I'm roughly around where you are (Woodyat), a couple of squares higher up. That surprises me, because although I consider myself broadly liberal, I'm pretty right-wing when it comes to crime and punishment.

Me too, and I think that exposes an underlying flaw in the test. There were a number of questions that clearly make huge assumptions. For example:

"Taxpayers should not be expected to prop up any theatres or museums that cannot survive on a commercial basis."

Now I voted "strongly disagree" not because I have some woolly left-wing concept of communality but because I think there's a strong case to be made that investing in the arts ultimately helps improve an economy through improving education, social mobility and stimulating intellectual thought.

Another one:

"All authority should be questioned."

Well, of course. But if that's used as a justification for unworkable social policy and or an argument towards anarchy then, no.

The scale has me where Gandhi is, which is absurd as I support the use of military force in many circumstances :laugh:

• Paid Members

33lpmxf.png

Economic Left/Right: -3.00 -- Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.77

I'm a lot less leftie than I was in 2004 but more so than in the intervening years, which surprises me a little. I would've thought that I'd moved closer to the right than I have. I'm continually less anti-authoritarian over time though, which is what I would expect.

2004: Economic Left/Right: -4.88 -- Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.67

2006: Economic Left/Right: -1.63 -- Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.79

2008: Economic Left/Right: -1.75 -- Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.54

2010: Economic Left/Right: -3.25 -- Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.56

Did this test a few weeks ago, result was pretty centrist, 2 in to the left and 1 down.

The Political Compass test often gets brought up in many forums. There's plenty of things to remember about it.

* The test doesn't feature questions, but rather statements that you either agree or disagree on. Personally I would have preferred six options rather than four (slightly agree and slightly disagree).

* It's not a hugely scientific test. I'd say there are too few statements to be fairly accurate.

* The positions of certain world figures have been calculated, according to the test's authors, by political science professors.

* The majority of people end up in the bottom left quadrant. Critics of the test suggest that this is some liberal-left conspiracy, but IMO it's more the case that when not dealing with everyday high-office politics many people in Europe would lean towards leftish economic positions if it allowed them to do so with no obvious negative consequence to themselves. Politicians however have to deal more realistically in Realpolitk, especially concerning business, law and order, public services and budgeting, making them appearing more economically right and more authoritarian even if at least some of them would see themselves as being more left and socially liberal.

* Don't take your results or others too seriously.

Archived