The Political Compass

Halitosis Romantic

Interesting quiz. I'm roughly around where you are (Woodyat), a couple of squares higher up. That surprises me, because although I consider myself broadly liberal, I'm pretty right-wing when it comes to crime and punishment.

Me too, and I think that exposes an underlying flaw in the test. There were a number of questions that clearly make huge assumptions. For example:

"Taxpayers should not be expected to prop up any theatres or museums that cannot survive on a commercial basis."

Now I voted "strongly disagree" not because I have some woolly left-wing concept of communality but because I think there's a strong case to be made that investing in the arts ultimately helps improve an economy through improving education, social mobility and stimulating intellectual thought.

Another one:

"All authority should be questioned."

Well, of course. But if that's used as a justification for unworkable social policy and or an argument towards anarchy then, no.

The scale has me where Gandhi is, which is absurd as I support the use of military force in many circumstances :laugh:

33lpmxf.png

Economic Left/Right: -3.00 -- Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.77

I'm a lot less leftie than I was in 2004 but more so than in the intervening years, which surprises me a little. I would've thought that I'd moved closer to the right than I have. I'm continually less anti-authoritarian over time though, which is what I would expect.

2004: Economic Left/Right: -4.88 -- Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.67

2006: Economic Left/Right: -1.63 -- Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.79

2008: Economic Left/Right: -1.75 -- Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.54

2010: Economic Left/Right: -3.25 -- Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.56

Archived